dialing in the new suspension/tires

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You didn't happen to weigh your 9" assy vs the 8.8" did you? Based on some other numbers I've seen here, I'm thinking something like a 9" w alum carrier/pinion carrier, alum spool, alum yoke, lightened ring gear, and gun drilled axles, along with drag brakes ends up being a significant weight loss.

Yep my 9 inch from Currie, when I first got it, was in fact lighter by 5 lbs, but I attributed that to the spool and the aluminum pinion carrier (not the center section) vs the 8.8 which had a Detroit Locker.

I was looking at first of how you got the 30 tall to work but then I noticed its 9 wide so I am thinking that is the difference. I had to do some mods/trimming on the inside when I first ran my 29.5X10.5W.

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
Damn that's pretty cool. I'm guessing you lose bearing size to make room for the offset?
I wonder w all the custom made 3rd member they don't just offset the pinion there. Hmmmm. Unless they already do and I don't know it.

That might be the case on the bearing with the offset pinion carrier, I haven't seen one in person.

I think some of those high dollar Dewco centers might put the pinion in a different location, I know they make their own low drag gearset.

I was looking at first of how you got the 30 tall to work but then I noticed its 9 wide so I am thinking that is the difference. I had to do some mods/trimming on the inside when I first ran my 29.5X10.5W.

The only thing I've had to do is remove the bumpstop bracket in the wheelwell, and that was due to some 295 street tires previously. This 30" appears to have a section width every bit as wide as the 275 radial I ran before, it just narrows up at the tread surface.

Last edited:

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
Better air tonight, but only 1/8th mile at Little River. 1.50 [email protected] 400DA. Looking at recent performance of this car 1/8th mile ET*1.56=1/4 mile ET, so that should be about a 10.54. Based on that 1/8th mile trap I now have no doubt this car is going to top 129 in the 1/4.

Well.....

Attachments

• 1052.JPG
    1052.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 63

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Damn 13.5 you sure slowed down..... :crazy:

Nice work, dring that think up here to Atco, she'd really be flying.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So you are running a 10.52 with an N/A 5.0, auto, and a 30 tall tire?

What exactly are your mods? that is pretty impressive.

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
So you are running a 10.52 with an N/A 5.0, auto, and a 30 tall tire?

What exactly are your mods? that is pretty impressive.

It's a Boss, CJ manifold, headers. Other than that, converter in the stock trans, rear is a 3.31, good suspension. Weight is down to just over 3400 currently.

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
To show how impressive this is; I ran nearly the exact same time with my car on a 3.6" pulley with novi2200 & converter!

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
Hey Bud, is your Strange housing just whacked off right under the lower control arm bolts like this?

Attachments

• IMG_5353.jpg
    IMG_5353.jpg
    489.7 KB · Views: 40

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks. This probably explains why that Team Z anti roll bar appears to only drop the lowers a small amount, being cut off like this makes that possible. It also means none of the other aftermarket lower brackets would really fit this correctly.

This could be interesting. I could see some lower brackets being made with holes much closer in relation to the stock one than is normally possible. Maybe even use that serrated plate to get 1/4" adjustments.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Kris, I have got many people running our brackets with the Strange 9".

That said, yes, chopping the lower portion on the LCA mount off definitely enables more option for LCA mounting.

I really like those serrated plates. We have gone back and forth about offering them. It would be simple to integrate them into our brackets.

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
Kris, I have got many people running our brackets with the Strange 9".

That said, yes, chopping the lower portion on the LCA mount off definitely enables more option for LCA mounting.

I really like those serrated plates. We have gone back and forth about offering them. It would be simple to integrate them into our brackets.

Do you feel they are less secure on there with the bottom cut off like this? Don't know if yours engages the notch that is normally on the one side or not. Seems like the way to make them fit best on this would be to add more to the doubling plate on the inboard of the brackets so that it rests right against the flat bottom of these.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Do you feel they are less secure on there with the bottom cut off like this? Don't know if yours engages the notch that is normally on the one side or not. Seems like the way to make them fit best on this would be to add more to the doubling plate on the inboard of the brackets so that it rests right against the flat bottom of these.

I am torn on it.

When looking at ours, which we have several hundred passes on (150+ in the 1.49 or better range, now) - the portion you mention (area) does not show signs of much contact, nor does the bracket appear to have ever shifted.

The primary strength points, in terms of preventing the brackets to shift back, on our Brackets - are the damper weight bolt hole and the back vertical strap.

Now that I think about it, I believe JPC is running the Strange 9".

1.19 sixty foot time with our brackets, bolted in.

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
[email protected]
[email protected]
DA 1450, 71 grains

That's all she's got in this air. Would have been nice to get it over 130, but it's time to tear down for major upgrades. The 8.8 is already sold, and I bet the 6R80 will sell easily enough.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
9" and a glide?

Nice pass

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
You really have it moving Kris; glad to see it progress throughout the years and keep going faster

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back