2008 Stage 3 ROUSH - Rebirth...

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
The blocks will only fit in one of the slots… Need to pay careful attention to install them correctly and make sure they are slightly pressed fit in the correct slot. You don’t want any kind of movement/rotation.
DSC00521_zps012b5295.jpg

Both phasers done
DSC00523_zps0a377604.jpg

Driver side done
DSC00525_zps021c9f59.jpg

Installed the passenger side cylinder head and timing components
DSC00529_zpsd3ef4768.jpg

Oil pump with TSF gears
DSC00533_zps82d28c53.jpg

Verifying chain
DSC00534_zps2acf4ff7.jpg

So I was really worried about the timing of these modular motors, but I can tell you know that it’s the easiest thing since sliced bread!!!
As you see above, each timing chain has two dark (marker) chain links. All you do is align the dark chain links to the timing marks on the phasers and crank gear. Does not get any easier than that.
DSC00536_zpsa35e7d84.jpg

DSC00537_zps67b534d7.jpg

In order to degree your cams you need a solid lifter, so I took an old lifter out of my stock motor and measured the height. Then set my TFS adjustable solid lifter accordingly.
DSC00545_zps92793d6b.jpg

Install the solid lifter in one of the intake lifter bores, install your rocker, and you are ready to set up your dial indicator.
DSC00554_zps6a321ccb.jpg

The dial indicator point will rest on the valve retainer; make sure you set this up with the valve at max lift.
DSC00559_zps16c132d7.jpg

I would highly suggest getting 2 sets of modular motor kits where you have two solid lifters and two rockers. It will save you a huge amount of time R&R parts…
So basically you will set your timing to -2, -4, -6, or +2, etc…once your timing is set, you will verify what your ICL (Intake Center Line) is…that’s basically all cam degree is. So you rotate the crank until you reach max lift, zero out the dial indicator, continue rotating the crank to make sure that you have set your dial indicator to exactly read “0” at max lift. Then you will take readings of the degree wheel at 50 before and after “0” (max lift).
DSC00586_zps71ee742c.jpg

DSC00587_zps18f375c1.jpg

DSC00590_zps9db1fd19.jpg

You add the two numbers and then divide by 2 and that’s your ICL.
For example, my numbers with -4 degrees came out to 143.5 and 75.5 which gave me an ICL of 109.5.
Make sure you get the same ICL on both heads/sides/cams. It is OK to be off by up to 1 degree; some say even up to 2 is OK. But I would try to get them within 0.5 degree.
Once you are done and are 100% confident of your results and have set your timing to your targeted ICL, just return the crank to TDC and keep building!!
I installed all my valve train parts and goobered it up with Red Line assembly lube. If I knew before hand that I was going to have to prime the motor before startup, I would have used a lot less.
DSC00593_zps53b583df.jpg

DSC00598_zps44b63a40.jpg

Freedom Racing valve spring compressor, a must tool for anyone working with valve train!!
DSC00600_zps1f7b9ae0.jpg

Heads done!!! Time to seal her up!! I installed the front cover (don’t forget to install your trigger wheel!!)
DSC00611_zps1cd65905.jpg

DSC00604_zps2feb668a.jpg

Since I completely removed the VCT solenoid, I was left with a reaping hole in my valve covers. I contracted a local machine shop artist to make me something (freeze plug type plug) to plug up my hole. Lol This is what he came up with:
DSC00609_zps6c1a4fcf.jpg

It was a press fit, he also made me a special tool to drive it in. I added a very light coating of gasket maker to eliminate any potential leaks.
DSC00620_zps5ae4685e.jpg

DSC00621_zps5f86a2e8.jpg

Once the valve covers are one, the last thing to install was the oil pan.
Water pump and Innovators West damper
DSC00623_zps1e109c72.jpg

DSC00627_zps4ee2b06b.jpg

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
DSC00628_zps086d9e62.jpg

DSC00629_zps8f227c54.jpg

DSC00666_zpsb3f0635e.jpg

McLeod RXT clutch – flywheel

DSC00663_zps6076434b.jpg

DSC00662_zpsbbd22a7d.jpg

Clutch disc #1

DSC00669_zps62c94e61.jpg

Floater

DSC00665_zps51c51b90.jpg

Clutch disc #2

DSC00669_zps62c94e61.jpg

And pressure plate

DSC00671_zps68de92e4.jpg

Here is a little bit of weight added by the balancing shop. The crank was checked for balance, then added the crank damper, flywheel, and pressure plate; seems like the pressure plate induced some slight unbalance.

DSC00673_zps8c00b90e.jpg

Then cover it all up with the bell housing

DSC00674_zps5438aee6.jpg

Install the starter before installing the headers

DSC00675_zps03bea755.jpg

Then wrap it in heat shield as its tucked inside the headers… lol

DSC00676_zps4c50bfdb.jpg

I used these Super 8 locking header bolts

DSC00678_zps27825063.jpg

DSC00680_zps92a5dbe2.jpg

What a pain in the ass to install!!! I can’t imagine installing these with the motor in the car.

DSC00688_zps9327f125.jpg

DSC00689_zps04502fc3.jpg

DSC00691_zpsd9021da0.jpg

DSC00692_zps4509ef1c.jpg

Time to work on the top!!!

Last time I will see these intake ports

DSC00632_zpsd989a340.jpg

ROUSH TVS intake manifold

DSC00653_zpsc087ac82.jpg

DSC00694_zps94c1ddaa.jpg

My dearly loved ID1000 injectors…wish I would have gone with these the first time around.

DSC00697_zpse862afd1.jpg

Once you get the intake manifold on, the rest is really quick!!

DSC00698_zpse07cbd42.jpg

DSC00699_zps6626adf2.jpg

DSC00707_zpsb544e939.jpg

DSC00717_zpsef12edb0.jpg

DSC00721_zps35e69281.jpg

Per my builder’s recommendation, I used Joe Gibbs BR40 (break-in oil) and I always use the FRPP oil filters even though they are a PITA to install and remove.

DSC00732_zps28096c4a.jpg

Once I primed the motor with 3 quarts while rotating the crank it was time to drop her in!!! I lowered the car as low as I could.

DSC00733_zps0b28ccb7.jpg

DSC00736_zps5fd25de0.jpg

DSC00738_zps55137bf5.jpg

And there you have it… 8 months later… sigh

DSC00741_zps9343e575.jpg

I upgraded my original JCP braided clutch line to the current version which is a larger line:

DSC00723_zps51abfa47.jpg

Then wrapped it in heat shield…yes I am a huge fan of heat shielding!!!

DSC00726_zps93c2bd35.jpg

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
There was a war, the Lube Gods won.

Your oil may look like blood now, that crazy amount of lube, is that good?
Haha, one other thing stood out to me in the pictures. It may be a picture from when you were having trouble degreeing the cam,. IDK

When setting the dial indicator on the top of the piston for TDC or on the follower/rocker, it should be square with the stroke. If not it will allow for a variance in your measurements.

Very nice build and wright up!

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score

Lito, I was not planning to prime the motor...so I was a little generous with the lube. It looks worse that it actually was...

Don't make me freak out now!!

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Haha, one other thing stood out to me in the pictures. It may be a picture from when you were having trouble degreeing the cam,. IDK

When setting the dial indicator on the top of the piston for TDC or on the follower/rocker, it should be square with the stroke. If not it will allow for a variance in your measurements.

Very nice build and wright up!

You are totally right!! Make sure the dial indicator rod is parallel to the valve stem and the stroke if measuring the TDC.
That picture was from my first try. I did end up setting it up perpendicular to the top of the piston.

I could not get the dial indicator to be perfectly parallel due to the setup of the valves, head, etc. If I had a dial indicator with an extra long shaft, then you could definitely set it up parallel. I just did the best I could with what I had.

Last edited:

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
Gerald,
Your cam lockouts look to be Livernois brand. I looked at their site and the only way they're listed/for sale is installed with phasers...which they're asking $550 for the pair. I hope you didn't buy them pre-installed, that's stupid money. If you were able to buy just the lockouts, where did you get them? Do you have the part number?

Your TFS Adjustable Gearset...did that come from TFS directly?

Where did you acquire the Cam Degreeing Toolset?

Any other pertinent info to these specific parts would be appreciated.

EDIT: also on the Livernois site, I saw that the lockouts come in 2 variations. A 0 degree and a 10 degree. Which did you buy? How do you know which you'd need?

Last edited:

JimIII@JDM

Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Not really, lube gods won for sure. That is way way way too much assembly lube. A light coating of engine oil is all that is required for most of what he did there. When all of that mixes with your oil I don't know what it would do to your bearings, rings, and everything else.

Last edited:

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Gerald,
Your cam lockouts look to be Livernois brand. I looked at their site and the only way they're listed/for sale is installed with phasers...which they're asking $550 for the pair. I hope you didn't buy them pre-installed, that's stupid money. If you were able to buy just the lockouts, where did you get them? Do you have the part number?

Your TFS Adjustable Gearset...did that come from TFS directly?

Where did you acquire the Cam Degreeing Toolset?

Any other pertinent info to these specific parts would be appreciated.

EDIT: also on the Livernois site, I saw that the lockouts come in 2 variations. A 0 degree and a 10 degree. Which did you buy? How do you know which you'd need?

Thats crazy!! I must have bought the last set of lockouts!! I got them directly from Livernois for $50. I wonder why they are no longer offering them? I'm just someone (another vendor) should offer them. *cough* JDM *cough* Jim *cough*

You can buy a whole FRPP timing set including phasers, chains, etc for the price of one phaser.

I'll look for the invoice and get the part number. The 10 degree lockouts are like limiters with a spring. I got just the standard lockouts; its a full locking spacer...locks the phasers in full advance.

I got the TFS gear set from Summit Racing: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-51800505

I got the TFS cam degreeing kit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-90000
With the modular supplemental kit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-90100
(all thats useful from this kit is the solid adjustable lash adjuster and the metal plate for mounting the magnetic base for the dial indicator)
You can get two stock (used) lash adjusters and just weld them.

I also had to buy this degree wheel: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-4790
To use with this nifty tool (it made it 1000 times easier): http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-4793

Last edited:

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Not really, lube gods won for sure. That is way way way too much assembly lube. A light coating of engine oil is all that is required for most of what he did there. When all of that mixes with your oil I don't know what it would do to your bearings, rings, and everything else.

Man, you guys are freaking me out now!!!!

It looks worse than it was. But I did use a little more than normal because I was not planning to prime the motor, so I wanted to protect it during the starting phase while the oil flowed through the motor. Assembly lube was only used on the valve-train/timing assembly.

If I knew I was going to prime the motor, I would have not used that much.

It should be safe for the ring/wall seat (thats my only concern)... I can't imagine that assembly lube would negatively affect it.

We'll see soon... I will be dynoing next week. I already have four heat cycles on the motor. Vacuum is crazy high!!! :) (which leads me to believe I got good seating...but lets not get ahead and jinx myself. lol)

Last edited:

JimIII@JDM

Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Man, you guys are freaking me out now!!!!

It looks worse than it was. But I did use a little more than normal because I was not planning to prime the motor, so I wanted to protect it during the starting phase while the oil flowed through the motor.

If I knew I was going to prime the motor, I would have not used that much.

It should be safe for the ring/wall seat (thats my only concern)... I can't imagine that assembly lube would negatively affect it.

We'll see soon... I will be dynoing next week. I already have four heat cycles on the motor. Vacuum is crazy high!!! :) (which leads me to believe I got good seating...but lets not get ahead and jinx myself. lol)

I have never seen that much lube, as it appears in the picture, on a new engine like that. I really can't say what its going to do but best of luck and let us know here how it does.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
It will mix in and melt down, you'll never see it. Be changing oil right away if you haven't already, anyway. Hasn't the car warmed up and cooled down a few times? Time to load that thing up. I'm planning on breaking in my short block with my old blower and tune so I can go out and drive the car.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
It will mix in and melt down, you'll never see it. Be changing oil right away if you haven't already, anyway. Hasn't the car warmed up and cooled down a few times? Time to load that thing up. I'm planning on breaking in my short block with my old blower and tune so I can go out and drive the car.

Funny you say that... With the warm weather we have been having, the Red Line assembly lube turns into liquid. lol

And the oil has not changed color. You would think it would have turned brown or something (yellow + red)?

Anyway, the engine builder wants me to run the break-in oil for 250 miles!!
He did not even want me to change the filter after the two 10 mins heat cycles. But I had to as I over filled the motor with oil... I thought this thing took 8.5 quarts and I only put in 8. It was still above the full line. So I changed the filter and installed an empty one. Its perfect now. So I was 0.5 or so quarts over. Must have been all the assembly lube. lol

Interesting observation is that when I dumped the oil from the first build, after one heat cycle (20 mins), the oil came out black and looked like someone dumped glitter in the oil it was so shiny.

This time around, the oil is yellow (yellow-ish brown - same color as it came out of the bottle) and I do not see any metal in it. Weird, I was expecting to see metal in it.

The motor has had 4 heat cycles so far...

Two heat cycles while on jack stands; short ones less than 10 mins each. Reached engine coolant temp of 196. BTW, I need a real coolant sensor/data.

And two road loading sessions; one flat road, one with steep as hills. Both 5-6 PSI part throttle to maintain 14.7 AFR. Motor has not seen anything richer than 13.0.

Next heat cycles will be the drive to the dyno for a few more loading sessions, this time on a dyno and then WOT tuning.

Motor has not idled for more than a few seconds!!
Tune is on spot; it has allowed me to just concentrate on properly breaking in the motor without having drive-ability and fueling issues-the ID1000s are so sweet.

I think thats what killed the last motor; idling and poor fuel control from the injectors.
It was an expensive, very frustrating, and drawn out experience... sigh

Last edited:

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
I forgot to show you guys the Crawford catch can setup I did...its somewhat a temporary install as I need to find a big enough clamp with rubber strap and better hoses.

DSC00764_zps8bf3ee49.jpg

DSC00763_zps48dbf61e.jpg

ROUSH dual belt FEADs with Innovators West balancer:

DSC00759_zps41d069b3.jpg

Planning to dyno tune next week at Brad's Custom Auto!!! WAHOO!!

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back