3v to 4v ?

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
PLStang and Strictly Performance did it too. GT500 engine with KB blower. I did notice that no threads on this subject ever mention what harness(es) have to be changed for this swap to work.

Last edited:

Buckman

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
PLStang and Strictly Performance did it too. GT500 engine with KB blower. I did notice that no threads on this subject ever mention what harness(es) have to be changed for this swap to work.

SD, we started out trying to use a GT harness and processor, but were running into issues. Mike actually took the car down to visit with Jon L and both collaborated to see if they could get it to work. I think in time they could have figured it out, but the GT500 processor and harness was a much easier resolution and I was tired of this cutting into the race season, so went that route.
Here is a blurb from Jon L about the scenario:

Car was inconsistent on the Dyno and had a misfire issue about ever 3rd pull, limiting RPM. Most of it was due to trying to use a 3V Processor (minus VCT & IMRCs and the auto) and running a one cam sensor 4V. The F150 Truck 5.4 3V running the GT500 motor was major pain but the automatic (4R75W) was left in place and few other things were done to make it work that we didn't have time to try. The best Combo is what Mike did... GT 500 Harness , Processor and a Baumantor 4R70w controller work !!!!

Jon L

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Wow, really? :poke:

Aaaaaaahhhhh shaddup. Too damn busy to even be on the board today much less click on every link. I hate it when they run off the hired help around this joint. Even if they weren't worth a damn. Makes me busy and kills the fellow-employee-jokes. :helpme:

...but the GT500 processor and harness was a much easier resolution and I was tired of this cutting into the race season, so went that route.

Figured that was going to be the best route. Thank you. Pointless to even think about using the 5R55S with the 5.4 4V and any power adder too.

BlownPony306

forum member
Reaction score
Here is a GT500 swap Big Daddy Performance did.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/BIG-DADDY-PERFORMANCE_178030.htm

I talked to Dwayne via email and it sounds like you almost need a whole parts car to get everything working right.

The GT500 swap was very successful... The only problem is you need a GT500
Veh Ven number to get the parts from ford.. The 07 is much cheaper to do
then the 05/06 because the 07 use the same a/c line the main harness my not
have to be changed... We used just about every part from the GT 500 ...
Fuel lines, coolant lines and hoses, rad, intercooler brackets and mounts,
ic pump, computer, smart junction box, needed changing, we did have to
rewire the box for the smart key.. and you must have the ford computer
software to make all the computers recognize each other..

Last edited:
Reaction score
a 4v swap is a simple task. If someone wanted to spend the time and effort a 3v computer can be set up to work. People seldomly want to pay for r&d required to trial and error changes that only "makes things work". The 500 harness and computer are quick and easy to install and easy to tune.

It comes down to a few simple changes, the polarity of the 4v coil packs are opposite of the 3v, simply switching polarity causes misfire codes. The 3v coil packs will not fit under the covers on a 4v (without modification).
The 3v has two cam sensors, the 4v one. This appeared to be a non issue.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
God wouldn't it just be easier to go with a full standalone?
No.

a 4v swap is a simple task. If someone wanted to spend the time and effort a 3v computer can be set up to work. People seldomly want to pay for r&d required to trial and error changes that only "makes things work". The 500 harness and computer are quick and easy to install and easy to tune.

It comes down to a few simple changes, the polarity of the 4v coil packs are opposite of the 3v, simply switching polarity causes misfire codes. The 3v coil packs will not fit under the covers on a 4v (without modification).
The 3v has two cam sensors, the 4v one. This appeared to be a non issue.
Ta Da!

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
sorry guys shoulda been a little clearer in my questioning. i meant 4v heads on my 4.6 motor, not a 4v engine swap. has that been done and if so how beneficial was that as opposed to saylivernois stage2 or 3 heads?

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
sorry guys shoulda been a little clearer in my questioning. i meant 4v heads on my 4.6 motor, not a 4v engine swap. has that been done and if so how beneficial was that as opposed to saylivernois stage2 or 3 heads?

Pretty sure the pistons are different, having different valve relief areas. There might be a difference in the water and oil passages as well, not exactly sure.

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
your looking at big money there but .......it can and has been done the frpp 500 car is a 4v 4.6l but just the upper intake manifold is right at 2k alone .......now i belive they are using 5.4 4v heads too though so im not sure if thats what your trying to do or if your just looking to use ole regular 4vgt heads

imo your better off just going with a stage 3 liv head may not seem like it but the work it would probably take along with new pistons ect. like hawg mentioned

those stage 3's will be the cheapest/easiest route hands down

Reaction score

Valve relief notches in the pistons are different, you will still end up with the same coild pack and camsensor issue too.

You will need to check P to V clearance, 4v head gaskets, 4V front cover, cam drive train. You front accessories should still work. MAy also want to switch the oil pump to an HO instead of the 3V.

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
No fucking way. Don't need any of those "wife" things.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never been married and not sharing half of my stuff with anyone. Must be my only child upbringing. I don't share well.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back