4.6L 3V Build

EagleStroker

N/A Junkie
Reaction score
Seeing how close the head is to the firewall....what are you going to do when/if the fitting begins to leak? Race car is one thing but a daily driver?

I wasn't aware this was a daily driver, my apologies :hi: Are there any other negatives I should be aware of? It seems the easiest way to make it accessible to repair would be to weld a female bung to the back of the block on both sides, then if the fitting leaks all be it a PITA to make it work you could replace the fitting without pulling the motor no? You would know better than I am so that's a serious question.

Obviously you are referring to a mod which I am not aware of for the 4.6L 3V. The only cooling mod I have found is for the 4.6L 4V.

http://s197forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=393245&postcount=522

Took me forever to find that post, pictures do a good job of explaining it.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I wasn't aware this was a daily driver, my apologies :hi: Are there any other negatives I should be aware of? It seems the easiest way to make it accessible to repair would be to weld a female bung to the back of the block on both sides, then if the fitting leaks all be it a PITA to make it work you could replace the fitting without pulling the motor no? You would know better than I am so that's a serious question.

http://s197forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=393245&postcount=522

Took me forever to find that post, pictures do a good job of explaining it.
Hey , I know that guy !

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Essentially, you're taking water out of the front and rear of the heads instead of just the front so the rear cylinders are not exposed to hotter temperatures than the front cylinders. Pretty useful in a race type application where cylinder temperature differentials play havoc with the tune. However, the chance of this thing leaking with the current manner of putting a fitting in this location are pretty good on a daily driven car. And getting to these locations without pulling the heads is a bitch.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
First time I've seen that on a 3V. Thanks for posting. However, I am running a Saleen S/C and I don't believe I have enough available real estate for those lines. Could be wrong though.

It could be a bitch to fix if it leaks.
That's why I had the female welded in instead of trying the bolt in method Ive seen on the 4v stuff (the idea came from a JPC thread I seen on here). It shouldn't have anymore chance to leak then any other AN fitting would . If I did it again though I would just weld a male in there and not have the two piece setup. I still may do it before it goes back in . I am thinking of getting two bare alum. male 90s and setting them at the angle I want and welding it all up.

Now back to your very nice build thread you have going here . Looking good !

Last edited:

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
24 new lash adjusters will be installed as some (although not this particular one) of the early 4.6L 3V engines experienced collapsed lash adjusters - See TSB 06-19-8 post #52. This is the current part number (5L1Z-6500-A):
100_1000.jpg

Lash adjusters installed
100_1002.jpg

100_1001.jpg

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Camshafts can be easily be identified by their length. The long cam goes on the LH bank and the short cam goes on the RH bank
100_0999.jpg

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Once again I was reminded to carefully inspect new parts. I installed my cams and one of them would not turn by hand. After inspecting the camshaft I found a machining burr had been left on the thrust flange on the front of the camshaft. A polishing stone took care of the issue
100_1003.jpg

100_1004.jpg

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Both 127350 Comp Cams XFI VSR Stage 2 Blower Cams have been installed and they both turn freely by hand. Camshaft bearing cap bolts were torqued to 89 in. lbs.
100_1006.jpg

100_1005.jpg

Last edited:

lito

forum member
Reaction score
By any chance was it on the LH? (the last two comp grinds I've installed both had the same problem)

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
By any chance was it on the LH? (the last two comp grinds I've installed both had the same problem)

No actually it was on the RH cam. The burr was right at the "notches" in the thrust flange.

Boozshey

Reaction score
damn man, you bought every last specialty tool didn't you! I should have waited on my build to borrow more tools from you.. :beer:

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
damn man, you bought every last specialty tool didn't you! I should have waited on my build to borrow more tools from you.. :beer:

Sure did!! I have almost every 4.6L 3V specialty tool referenced in the OEM manual and then some.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back