Vorshlag 2011 Mustang 5.0 GT - track/autocross/street Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I don't remember if they addressed this issue in that episode, but its important to note that by far the LEAST aerodynamic part of a car is the lower front of the front tires not covered by car and under-body turbulence...
...so adding 900lbs of weight would lower the car and result in significantly reduced drag.

Remember Bugatti claimed to need some absurd amount more power, I think another thousand horsepower, to make their Veyron go from 230-252 until they went with active suspension to lower it at speed.

OEM stock... NO clay = 26 mpg
900 lbs of clay (NO dimples) = 26 mpg
900 lbs of clay + dimples, (removed dimples tossed in back seat) = 29.65 mpg.

The 900 lb dimpled clay car's suspension sagged just as much as the 900 lb clay car with no dimples. So it looks like no aero advantage from the car being lowered by the extra 900 lbs. The improved mileage came soley from the dimples.

The next trick would be to build a dimpled car...sans clay.
Dimpling the top side of a race wing may have some merit. Baffles me why no gurney flap used on the typ race wing. 20% more downforce, and 5% more drag. Do the rules prohibit a gurney flap / wickerbill ? A gurney flap + dimpled race wing would make for an interesting combo.

Ike

forum member
Reaction score

The 900 lb dimpled clay car's suspension sagged just as much as the 900 lb clay car with no dimples. So it looks like no aero advantage from the car being lowered by the extra 900 lbs. The improved mileage came soley from the dimples.

The next trick would be to build a dimpled car...sans clay.
Dimpling the top side of a race wing may have some merit. Baffles me why no gurney flap used on the typ race wing. 20% more downforce, and 5% more drag. Do the rules prohibit a gurney flap / wickerbill ? A gurney flap + dimpled race wing would make for an interesting combo.

Thank you for the info on the weight.

Well you'd want to dimple the bottom I believe, not the top. Because as I explained in more detail in my really long post (two of my posts ago), like the EVO 9 row of fins, the vorticies keep the airflow attached, and on the top of a wing, airflow is compressed, and doesn't have an attachment issue. Now it can separate on the top due to a horizonal-flow issue on a drifting car so some rally cars have purely vertical fins on the wings that simply direct air rearwards; these are called wing-fences and can cause some ridiculous stall scenarios, a problem F1 has to deal with with only 2 end plates. I'm getting distracted back to the point.

A gurney flap has a similar purpose to the dimples, creating a little horizontal vortex/low pressure area that sucks the otherwise expanding boundary layer up and keeping the smooth airflow attached longer to the bottom of the wing.

The reason no gurney flap and no dimples, an in fact very little attention paid to boundary layer control on cars or even airplanes, is that all their aero is optimized for a specific range of speeds, meaning that the boundary layer does not separate because the wing is designed for those speeds, so in theory a gurney flap is just more drag although, obviously WITH boundary layer control you'll have a more broad performance envelope, which often does measure an AVERAGE gain... again though, a proper wing profile shape would not need a gurney flap, or you could imagine it has what is essentially a gurney flap shape included as part of its profile shape if that makes more sense ;) Really a gurney flap is a cheap and simple solution to a complex problem like wing-tip fin add-ons are on aircraft.

So the most common example of what is essentially boundary layer control would be a dual or multi-plane wing. This creates a directed curtain of laminar air, and brings the boundary layer back into motion with the wing where it would otherwise separate. Multi-plane wings are common on cars and even passenger jets as I'm sure you've seen. Another example would be a blown wing or blown flap on a jet, which is a form of boundary layer control.

Finally, the real reason we don't see golf ball dimples or blown wings, or perforated wings, or F-ducts (like F1!) or the half-dozen other kinds of boundary layer control is because its expensive. Its twice the cost to manufacture and easily four times the cost to engineer.... so we just choose what works, like a honda civic.

Now the golf ball car was an extreme example, I think they applied some theory and hit a sweet spot with some luck... but I believe if you applied, for example, a Prius shape or XL1 shape to the clay golf ball experiment, it might be more like 1mpg, and 1mpg is not enough to warrant the headache that would be trying to optimize and manufacture that. IMHO

So I'm recommending against golf-balls dimples, and if I were you I'd just buy a typical wing, or maybe Vorshlag can get us the wing they're using, however if you want to pay me to design and run CFD on a golf-ball wing or mustang-specific aero, PM me with a detailed description of the goals you're trying to achieve and I'll give you a quote.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score

900 lbs of clay just tossed in the back seat does not sound like it mimics the actual front to back distribution with it placed wherever they put it on the outside. Nor does it sound like it mimics the rake of the car with no clay added anywhere.

If the car sits at a different rake due to different front to rear distribution, the results are unreliable as far as proving the hypothesis goes and the test becomes inconclusive.

Norm

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
900 lbs of clay just tossed in the back seat does not sound like it mimics the actual front to back distribution with it placed wherever they put it on the outside. Nor does it sound like it mimics the rake of the car with no clay added anywhere.

If the car sits at a different rake due to different front to rear distribution, the results are unreliable as far as proving the hypothesis goes and the test becomes inconclusive.

Norm

The car that was dimpled.... the 1082 clay dimples were all put into a cardboard box..and tossed into the back seat. So maybe 825 lbs of clay on the dimpled car.... and a 75 lb box of removed dimples tossed into the rear seat. They didn't want folks to bitch that the dimpled car was lighter. http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/dimpled-car-minimyth.htm

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
...you'd see that they have MORE than adequate fab skills to graft 4" ducting into the front fascia, and in fact have been doing that on various projects (Brianne Corn's PPIR car for example) for quite a while. They can do more than just take a part out of a box and bolt it in place.

Agreed, and thank you for pointing this out, Dave.

_DSC2625-M.jpg

Our crew easily converted the front fascia to accept true 4" ducts made of tubular aluminum. They are significantly larger than the 3" opening (3" dia duct = 7.06" sq inches, 4" dia duct = 12.56 sq inches, or 43% larger surface area at the opening).

front-repairs-M.jpg

This means - more airflow. We ran out of time and did NOT open up the backing plate to 4" (we have to start over from scratch and make an all new unit - we we will soon, and offer for sale soon after. The Ford Racing carbon fiber 4" backing plates are mega $$), but with the entire length of hose from the front openings to the backing plate at 4" diameter, it did have more total air flow.

20140524_142118-M.jpg

How do I know? Testing. We just got back from a test day last Saturday at a local brake intensive track (ECR). Amy drove the car hard all day, and only managed to see 430°F max indicated temps on the front calipers.

B61G1643-M.jpg

We were seeing 490°F before on the fronts, so that's about a 60°F drop. She was hot lapping the car all day and went through tanks of fuel on a warm-ish 85°F day, at a track we have a LOT of testing at. So instead of arguing "dimples" improving aero based on a freakin MYTH BUSTERS tv show, we're out testing the changes we are making, to see if they really work.

_DSC2644-M.jpg

Next up - we will re-fabricate the backing plates to work with 4" hoses and remove the restriction. We will also try to replace some of the flexible, corrugated hose with aluminum or plating tubing (we ran out of time to do that) with a less tortured path than what the 4" hoses have now (see above).

1273049_10153295262705113_1758545810_o-M.jpg

Rear brakes: Once people find the "TCS OFF" button on track, rear brakes stop being a problem. They don't get hot enough to worry about, and even with the stock 12" rears, there is enough brake torque to balance the fronts in 13" or 14". If the rear brakes were such an issue, don't you think the $100,000+ Boss302/R would have something more back there? It doesn't, and competes successfully right out of the box. From a pure performance standpoint, the 14" rear conversion kit is there for one reason, and one reason only: to fill those ridiculously huge 19" wheels with brake rotor. In the end, it's an appearance mod, so that you don't have an acre of empty wheel barrel in back, with this tiny little peanut brake setup.
Well... yes and no. Yes, turning off the TCS is the biggest improvement to rear brakes anyone could make. But we never ran with that on. We did see some somewhat high temps on the 11.5" rear brakes, and rotor and pad wear were very accelerated. We didn't try ducting, which may have worked well, but there wasn't a good way to package this on a street-ish car, and ultimately that is our goal - to find solutions that we can sell to other folks, instead of building a one-off race team solution.

IMG_6429-M.jpg

Again, our car is a bit atypical with respect to weight (3802 with driver and ballast in TT3 trim), aero loading, grip levels (345mm Hoosier A6) and overall speeds (lately our TT3 laps have been 7-10 seconds/lap faster than American Iron records).

_DSC9779%20copy-M.jpg

With the upgrade we made to the 13.8" GT500 rear rotor over a year ago we are seeing much longer rear rotor life, at least. Rear pads still wear faster than I want, but better than they did before. We ran almost 8 months on a pair of GT500 rear rotors, and are only on our second pair in 12 months of use.

_DSF3723-M.jpg

But yes, a lot of people do this "14 inch rear brake upgrade" for the looks. It happens. Especially in the 19" OEM wheels... the 14's fill it up.

_DSC9956-M.jpg

Looking at 4-piston rears with a solid axle, that's again for bragging rights. If it's a radial-mounted fixed caliper, you'll have knock-back for DAYS as the axle play lets the rotor slide in and out. The only way that will work is with some kludged-together floating caliper mount, and again, you're adding mass to no purpose.
Agreed, this type of fixed caliper rear brake never works on a solid axle car like the Mustang.

Seriously, guy, you only half-understand a lot of the concepts that you're pontificating about, frequently promulgate blatantly WRONG information, and make pretty ludicrous or bloody obvious suggestions on a fairly regular basis. Terry's advice is spot-on: Read more, post less (tm). And, in particular, post only when you have something SOLID, CORRECT, PROVABLE, and DEFENSIBLE to offer. Of course, questions are fair game.

Agreed. Unfortunately Penatalab has added literally nothing to this thread or sub-forum of worth. He is just regurgitating crap he has read elsewhere... and we don't need that on S197forums. Most of us have been to those other Mustang forums, the ones where the "group think" is mindless and broken, and bad tech is spewed as gospel every day. We simply don't need that kind of "tech help" here.

The GT500 (15") rotor weighs nearly 33#.

_DSC0764-M.jpg

Yes indeed. The 15" 6-piston rotor is an absolute boat anchor at 33 pounds. We've upgraded/installed these GT500 front brakes for some S197 customers here (when they wanted bling more than performance, against our recommendations) and I was amazed at the weight. The 6-pot caliper isn't that much heavier, though.

DSC_0452-M.jpg

The 14" front for the Brembo cars is heavy enough (just a tick heavier than the massive 18x12" wheels we use), but the 15" rotor is just plain silly.

302s_DSC_2798-M.jpg

The 2-piece 14" rotors from the Boss302 are about 6 pounds lighter than the 1-piece 14" OEM units, and we've looked at going to a 2-piece rotor for our car... but the costs are heinous. If we were a well funded Pro team we'd do it, of course, but we are not. I suspect none of you here are either. Figure $400-750 each for 2-piece 14" fronts.... vs $99 for good quality 1-piece fronts.

DSC_9194-M.jpg

As for the rear brakes, the stock GT rear rotor is about 13 and a half pounds, whereas the 13.8" GT500 rear is a hair over 16 pounds. The extra 2 and a half pounds was worth it to extend rotor life as much as we have.

_DSF2167-M.jpg

On the optimaztion of the rear rotor- there are a few things to account for. There was a massive thread over on C-C about this exact question last summer, which devolved into people putting "math equations" up. Anyway- If you're a PWC team, or Roush Racing, or Rehagen or somebody, you can duct the shit out of the rears, and you can change literally everything back there between each race, so...it doesn't really matter that it's a 12" rotor. If you're Terry or a club racer, your budget is not a pro-race team budget, and, in Terry's case, he races what he sells. That red car is a parts test-bed and advertising platform more than anything else- to run a setup on it that is not saleable is not his goal (I'll look past the reverse-ducted hood...). Therefore, the bigger rotor will add some lifespan. That's about all the benefit you'll get- the fronts, in one session will still overheat faster, but there's less of a chance that the rears will overheat first, and will eliminate the need for ducting for track-day poseurs like me.

Well said... that's exactly why we didn't duct the rears. It is much harder to do than up front and the hoses generally hang under the car and get ripped off in any off-track excursion. The heavier and larger diameter 13.8" rotor upgrade was just easier and they last a good bit longer than the stock bits, as we've seen.

edit: I am utterly ignoring the "dimpled aero advantage" bodywork silliness from here on out, which was spawned from urban myth and reinforced by the goofballs on myth-busters. Please take it to another thread. Thanks.

Last edited:

JPC

Reaction score
I am utterly ignoring the "dimpled aero advantage" bodywork silliness from here on out, which was spawned from urban myth and reinforced by the goofballs on myth-busters. Please take it to another thread. Thanks.

Just put the car outside during next Texas hail storm, FREE dimples....LOL

2013DIBGT

I Hate Wheelhop
Reaction score
_DSC2625-M.jpg

Our crew easily converted the front fascia to accept true 4" ducts made of tubular aluminum. They are significantly larger than the 3" opening (3" dia duct = 7.06" sq inches, 4" dia duct = 12.56 sq inches, or 43% larger surface area at the opening).

front-repairs-M.jpg

Next up - we will re-fabricate the backing plates to work with 4" hoses and remove the restriction. We will also try to replace some of the flexible, corrugated hose with aluminum or plating tubing (we ran out of time to do that) with a less tortured path than what the 4" hoses have now (see above).

Hello Vorshlag,

I'm curious if you have any intentions of ever offering a full 4" front brake cooling kit in its entirety that would include such things as the nice aluminum air inlets as you show above that mounts in the front bumper area, ducting and the larger backing plate you describe?

Not long ago I was in the market for a cooling kit and liked the design of your backing plate but because it didn't have the needed ducting and other materials for the front air inlet I decided to hold off. I couldn't force myself to swallow the idea of buying the FRPP kit and then tossing their backing plates in the trash in order to run the ones I really wanted to use (yours).

I could have certainly ordered the backing plate from your site and then sourced the ducting from else ware but wasn't very fond of the current options on the market for the front air inlet portion of the upgrade.

Just figured I would throw the idea out there to make you aware that there could be a market for you if such an offering was available.

Thanks

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score

[/I]

Your numbers are correct - as usual -
I'm doing exact same thing, Even with 3" tubing now (Thin wall galvanized steel tube for testing), lower weight car and much slower speed, my rotors 14" x 1.25" (Wilwood) are getting warmer than I like. (3" tube flows far superior than the typical flexible hose everyone runs. 4" will create problems for me with my air-conditioning condenser tubing - I'll have to make new tubes

If you don’t mind - How hot are your rotors getting?

I have stile have to make time to modify my plugs for larger front ducts.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
4" will create problems for me with my air-conditioning condenser tubing - I'll have to make new tubes

I've got condenser tubing in the way with only 3" ducts. As it is, the bends I have routed aren't ideal. Anybody addressed that without completely removing the condenser?

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
I just set my fascia up for 4" ducts yesterday- it's nowhere near as pretty as Terry's car, but a Dremel and some HVAC ducting will do the job! Ditched the washer fluid reservoir and switched the horns around to the other side of the mount, looks like I should be good to go. I'll get some pictures of the routing once I get stuff worked out, but I plan on doing it like Terry did, more or less.

NDSP

forum member
Reaction score
As soon as I get my car back from getting the hail damage repaired ( supposed to be today ) I'm going to fab up a 3" aluminium tubing brake cooling system with "precision" denting to get around the washer fluid reservoir and a/c tubing. The only flex tubing will be at the articulating parts. I might end up having to use fiberglass to create the whole section from the facia to the radiator support on the passenger side as that is going to be tricky.

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
I've got condenser tubing in the way with only 3" ducts. As it is, the bends I have routed aren't ideal. Anybody addressed that without completely removing the condenser?

I'm trying not to clutter up this tread too much but -
I don’t know if my condenser has the same tube routing as yours – I ran my tubes though the lines leading off of the end of my condenser - as straight as possible. I also made fiberglass ducts to fit my lower front grill (V6). I couldn’t change it originally because of a points hit for TT classing.
I ran at Auto Club Infield on the 18th with Extreme Speed. They took over Red Line Time Attack and had the Alpha club there. Way too packed – Too many cars in my run groups. I’ve never run at (ACS) before - I asked to be put in the beginner run group (Blue) so I could learn the track and not be in the way. I tried to get bumped to Red (Advanced) after the second run (Easy track) but I was put in (Green) one level up. - Too many cars to get any clean runs in either groups. My rotor temps were about 700F – not even warm & couldn’t really use the brakes because of so much traffic.
Streets of Willow – Rotor temps of 900F not too warm. These are the only two places I have only run the car and these are lower speed courses. I stile have drive line issues so I don’t want to see higher speeds (120+) yet.
At faster tracks, my rotor temps should see 1150F – 1350F, which is still not too hot but I want to be able to continue using rotor friendly / cheaper pads. This is why I want to upgrade to 4” ducting to keep my temps down and thus expenditures down.

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Hello Vorshlag,

I'm curious if you have any intentions of ever offering a full 4" front brake cooling kit in its entirety that would include such things as the nice aluminum air inlets as you show above that mounts in the front bumper area, ducting and the larger backing plate you describe?...

Thanks for asking. The answer is "maybe".

The 3" kit is much-much easier to fit and is adequate for most situations. And quite a bit less expensive to make. With three versions, we can be compatible with the majority of cars built between 2005-2014.

The 4" kit is much more difficult to fit to the car, is more likely to be put on a car with other, non-compatible modifications, and the components are more expensive. To make it really efficient, it will likely require modifying many small parts of the car. We will be looking at those issues as we refine the setup on our test mule and see what it takes to make it into a kit.

Right now, we are finishing our 3" kits. So far we have just had backing plates available. The hidden 2013-2014 front duct plates should be available soon, and the flexible 3" ducting is available in 6' sections (enough for one car) and will be added as a drop-down option to our backing plate ducts on our website.

But, if someone wanted a 4" duct, we can always fabricate it as a one-off to be compatible with whatever other modifications, or configuration you are running. Have a Rousch front fascia? Intercooler? It can be done.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just set my fascia up for 4" ducts yesterday- it's nowhere near as pretty as Terry's car, but a Dremel and some HVAC ducting will do the job! Ditched the washer fluid reservoir and switched the horns around to the other side of the mount, looks like I should be good to go. I'll get some pictures of the routing once I get stuff worked out, but I plan on doing it like Terry did, more or less.

Will HVAC ducting hold up to hard use on the road and track?

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Will HVAC ducting hold up to hard use on the road and track?

No- the ducts themselves will be orange silicone thermoid stuff, but I used some 4" galvanized metal ducting to make the inlet in the fascia, because it was cheap and already round- that's what I was referring to.

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
If you don’t mind - How hot are your rotors getting?

Sorry Terry but it is difficult to get hard numbers from most people. If you don't mind - would like to share? If not, no problem.
Thanks either way.

NDSP

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry Terry but it is difficult to get hard numbers from most people. If you don't mind - would like to share? If not, no problem.
Thanks either way.

Not trying to speak for Terry, but if memory serves, he was seeing high 400's ( 490ish) using the temp strips on the calipers.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks either way.

We were seeing 490°F at the front calipers before, with 3" ducting and Carbotech XP20 pads...

Now its down to 430°F with the same pads and 4" ducting... when we make the backing plate opening 4" it should get even more airflow and possibly go lower. I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back