New Member - Long time Mustang Owner

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am a new member but I have owned three Mustangs over the course of 45 years. Currently, I own a 2012 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Over the roof black stripe kit, MT82, 3.73 rear end. I ordered the car in April of 2011 and took delivery in June of 2011. The car now has just over 59,000 miles on it and is completely stock except for a Barton 2 post shifter bracket, K&N air filter and a Ford Performance oil/air separator.
I have owned a Black 2006 GT Premium with a 5 speed manual and a 3.55 rear end, also ordered new.
The most notable Mustang from my past was a 1970 Grabber Green Boss 302. I bought the car from the second owner, in 1979, for $2350.00. Regrettably, the car had already been modified quit a bit. The stock exhaust had been replaced with a set of Hooker headers and Hush Thrush mufflers. The engine had been rebuilt with TRW 12.2 pistons and I am not sure what else. I will say the car was quick, also having a 4:30 Detroit Locker rear end (verified by a Marti report). In addition to the mechanical work, the car was already rotting out in a number of places, as it had been a Massachusetts vehicle since new. Another strike was that the car had over 90,000 miles on it. I did a decent job restoring the car, rebuilding the engine to factory specs and replacing as many parts as I could find. I replaced the front fenders, the door skins, the passenger floors, the inner and outer wheel tub halves, the trunk floors, the rear quarters (half panels) and pretty much all the suspension parts. I was living at home and doing the mechanical work myself, basically spending my paycheck on the car every week. By the time I finished the car, I was married and we bought a house. We borrowed $10,000 from my wife's grandfather when we bought the house, so I just couldn't hang on to the car and not pay him back right away. In 1984, the car went to its next owner for $7,000. I think he still has it. According to the Marti report, it was one of 5 with the various options, but I didn't know that then. Again, the car was not really in original condition, so I don't know what the car is worth now. Sorry for droning on, but owning a 1970 Boss 302 was a great experience, especially in my early 20's.

Reaction score
Yes, mostly old Polaroids. I was going to try and upload them, but it looks like you can only link to online storage somewhere. I am missing something?

Reaction score
Thanks! I know some of the things I did would be considered sacrilegious now, but at the time, I just wanted to make the car more to my liking. The dual exhaust valance panel and chrome tips were never an option for the Boss 302. Although the sports deck (fold-down) rear seat was an option, this car did not originally have that. The same goes for the twist hood locks. I had also replaced the stock dual point distributer and coil with Accel parts. One of the most rare features of this car was the "W" code 4:30 axle and Detroit Locker differential. That required the engine oil cooler visible on the driver's front side of the radiator support. Whenever I had someone ride in the car for the first time, because of the lash in the rear end, they would ask me if the car needed new U-joints. The car didn't have power steering and parallel parking with the F60-15s was a challenge. The 4 speed was a Ford Top Loader, close ratio. Of course, the chatter of the solid lifters always got some attention as well. Due to the huge intake valves (2.19), the engine didn't really come alive until around 4000 RPM, but it would absolutely sing at 7000 RPM! The car had an 8000 RPM tach, with no redline indicated. Overall, it was a crude instrument compared to my 2012 GT, which I really do love.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Greetings from NE - we bought/owned a '70 302 Boss waaaaaaaaay back when I was a wee lad in MN. Loved that car. :D

Reaction score
Greetings from NE - we bought/owned a '70 302 Boss waaaaaaaaay back when I was a wee lad in MN. Loved that car. :D

I bought mine when I was 19 years old. It was the second Mustang that I looked at, because my father wouldn't let me buy a ready-for-paint 1969 428 Cobra Jet Mach 1. I guess he thought the 302 engine in the Boss would be more civilized...go figure. In the end, I think he loved the Boss 302 just as much as I did.

Thank you for your military service! I grew up moving around with my dad in the army (SFC), but he got out after 13 years.

Although my 2006 GT was still fairly new at the time, I really loved the Bullitt Mustangs when they came out. It's hard not to like the unique quality of a limited production "numbered" car. Given the retro look of the original S197 Mustangs, I thought that was a great idea on Ford's part.

Last edited by a moderator:

JC SSP

Reaction score
Just like in any small block… power is in the heads. If I remember correctly Boss 302 had 351 Cleveland style quench heads. Hugh ports/valves for the street, but rockets in race form (aka Trans Am racing with 5Liter engine limitations)… hence having to rev it high to get it going on the street and with 4-bolt bottom end to keep it together. These cars like the 428CJ, Boss 351, 429SCJ etc. were monsters when properly tuned and with traction. True muscle cars!

Reaction score
Those boss heads were a thing of beauty.

Indeed! Huge ports, large canted valves, quench chambers, individually mounted rocker arms, paired with a solid lifter cam. I wasn't a machinist, but I did some light polishing and even bought a burette kit (shipped in a wooden box and packed in shredded paper) to CC the combustion chambers. I know it's hard to beat modern technology, but there was a mystique back then...

Just like in any small block… power is in the heads. If I remember correctly Boss 302 had 351 Cleveland style quench heads. Hugh ports/valves for the street, but rockets in race form (aka Trans Am racing with 5Liter engine limitations)… hence having to rev it high to get it going on the street and with 4-bolt bottom end to keep it together. These cars like the 428CJ, Boss 351, 429SCJ etc. were monsters when properly tuned and with traction. True muscle cars!

I do think your right about the heads. They were essentially an early release of the Cleveland style heads with slight cooling route differences. The canted valve arrangement was said to reduce "shrouding". To your point, the engine was pretty close to race ready, even on the street. Threaded core plugs (AKA freeze plugs), forged aluminum pistons, forged steel rods (larger cap bolts and spot faced instead of broached) forged steel crankshaft, 4 bolts mains (2,3,4) with a windage tray to skim excess oil off the crank at high RPM. With the oil cooler, deep sump pan and filter I think it would hold 9 quarts.

Trans Am racing was the heyday! Boss 302s, Z28 Camaros, Javelins, Firebirds, etc.

This is my 2012 GT, pictures from about 6 years ago, but still looks almost as clean.

IMG_0595.JPG IMG_0602.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score

Samos3

Reaction score
Thanks, still fumbling with the image posting... :(
If you have issues with posting pics, are you trying to do it thru the the little 'photo' icon? If so, look below the text box for the 'Upload a File' button. Much easier if you have pics on your phone or hard drive.

Nice Boss, by the way. I got into Mustangs because I liked the Moore/Folmer 70 TransAm cars. My first was a 73 Grande, but my second was a blood red 70 fastback with aluminum slots. Wish I still had both cars.

1970 Mustang.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you have issues with posting pics, are you trying to do it thru the the little 'photo' icon? If so, look below the text box for the 'Upload a File' button. Much easier if you have pics on your phone or hard drive.

Nice Boss, by the way. I got into Mustangs because I liked the Moore/Folmer 70 TransAm cars. My first was a 73 Grande, but my second was a blood red 70 fastback with aluminum slots. Wish I still had both cars.

Thanks for the upload tip! That certainly simplifies things!

Thanks, I agree, the Trans Am racing stuff was awesome. I had a friend in high school that also owned a 73 (light green) Grande with a 302. The slats were also aluminum (Ford part) on by Boss 302. I had my original pair stolen and I believe the replacement set was $450 in 1980. It was nice that they were hinged so that you could clean the back window.

Samos3

Reaction score
My 73 was identical to this one, same colors in and out. No long console and I did have the 351c 2v.

136411_b_781de214ebdc117f.jpg

136411_b_28260c5ad2765e02.jpg

https://www.classicdigest.com/cars/ford/mustang/136411

Last edited:

Samos3

Reaction score
If you aren't familiar with Bathurst or Australian Supercar racing, it's basically TransAm. But....rougher.

It's a great rabbit hole on youtube...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back