Swap? Sell? What next?

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
Hey all, I absolutely have fallen in love with mustangs since buying one last november. Unfortunately I couldn't afford a GT at the time and ended up with a V6. Had I known how much time and money I'd end up spending on this I woulda held off for the GT. Didn't know I'd become such a car guy. Anyways, now I'm at a crossroads, save up and swap the v6 for a stock GT setup, or even coyote 5.0 setup, or sell this , take a couple thousand more and buy a GT? I'd get a 05-07 Gt most likely. I'm pretty torn between being sentimental and keeping/building the V6 or having loads of fun in a GT. I get the feeling that once I picked up a manual GT, I wouldn't miss the V6 at all. What really got me thinking was seeing a 05 GT with 140k for sale near me for 5,500, maybe I could almost do a complete trade with my 06 V6 with 118k miles. Thoughts? Anyone else been in this spot?

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have some sentimental attachment to your present Mustang. I'd recommend looking at some of the auctions or auto salvage yards and picking up a GT of the same year +/- and swapping over the entire drive-line. You'll have everything you need for the swap. Your insurance will stay low since it's still a V6 according to the title/registration.

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
Wonder how much they go for, maybe i'd get lucky and be able to get one with a bit more miles for a great price

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I can say this: once you put a V8 in your Mustang, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner!

A swap is pretty easy mechanically, but can get expensive if you have to buy everything.
+1 on the best bet is a donor car or everything you need for the swap. The good thing about a donor car is you see how it all fits in the car, which for me, was one of the hardest part of my first v6-to-v8 swap, not knowing where everything goes.

However, if you have to pay for labor, then a GT makes more sense, generally, for a lot of people.
Oh, and whatever you do, enjoy your car!!!

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
I figured a swap wouldn't be too bad, just trying to figure out the practicality of it. I'd be doing this in a townhouse garage with some pretty decent room, no lift though. I really just think itd make for a bad*ss story, swapping a v8 into my first car. Plus the car has 118k and the body is virtually perfect. Has 3 minor depressions you have to look at the right angle and right lighting to notice. Doesn't help that I've already sunk several thousand into the car. Maybe would have been more likely to trade in for a GT if I had just left it all stock. I'd be doing the swap on my own, probably with help from my stepdad. How long do you think it'd take? What about Tuning? Will definitely enjoy my car! You enjoy all those turbos!

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I'm gonna go against the grain, and say sell the sixxer and get a GT. Unless you are just dying to have a "cool story" bro, your life will be much easier just buying a GT.

Heck, there's an 05 GT for $5,500 near you? Unless it's had hobos having 0rgies in it, I'd go buy that thing in a New York second!

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I knew a guy in the same boat. He had a V6 and loved it. He talked about swapping in a V8, but we talked him into buying a GT. Once he got the GT he didn't miss the V6.

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
I'm still really considering it, I think i'll see how these next few months go financially. I'd want to buy the car outright, so i'd only need a few thousand. Would shoot for a sub 100k mile 08-09 if I did. Premium GT Manual, GT CS or Bullit would be nice.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sell the 6. Buy a GT. It will be cheaper and less hassle in the end. You won't miss the 6.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back