Eibach Sportlines Convertible & BEST Wheel Size

droptopgt

Reaction score
Guys I'm new to this forum so pardon me if this has been answered. I've scoured the threads but really no information.

I have a 2005 Convertible that was just lowered on Eibach Sportlines, Koni Str struts and shocks. I had a terrible wheel gap before installation. The look on the car is now very aggressive and the Raptor look is gone. The car is still on it's original 17' bullitts.

I expected to scrape some, but I'm afraid of ripping the undercarriage of the car off on a hard hit.

What is the best wheel size in this situation. I am leaning towards 19's. Will that clear most speed bumps?

Also, please post pictures of your slammed Windveil Blue Mustangs.

Attachments

• 653.jpg
    653.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 8
  • 651.jpg
    651.jpg
    511.3 KB · Views: 10

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
The bigger the wheel, the more speed bumps it clears. Start with a 22" and you might even want to go bigger.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
That's what I like about you, Cbass. So helpful and insightful.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
please review the posting rules.

thread moved

wheel size has nothing to do with clearing speed bumps

tire diameter is what matters, stick to around stock size 27.25" and your fine +/- .5"

droptopgt

Reaction score
Come on guys, easy now. My first post. First I've read lots of posts, but not very much info on Convertibles on lowering springs.

It was a two part question and I would have put it in the wheel area but the real question was suspension of which I don't see a section dedicated too.

I came to the forum for help, not to be criticized. The 27.25 answer is suffice. I can play with wheel and sidewall sizes based on that. Thank you for the quick answer.

I currently own 5 Mustangs and have owned 28. This is my first lowered car. Just looking for the right stance and to make sure that the cars not left teetering on the gigantic California speed bumps locally.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
The bigger the wheel, the more speed bumps it clears. Start with a 22" and you might even want to go bigger.

A guy here at work did that. Got 24" Forgiato's on his 2015 that cost $7k for the whole set. Upside is, he damages at least one of them once every two weeks, and there are only 2 tires that fit the wheel. Last time he had to get tires, he had to ride the stock wheels for 3 months.

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
If you have decided to lower the vehicle to reduce the fender gap, you've also decided to reduce the chassis-to-ground dimension. It's possible to increase ground clearance by changing wheel-plus-tire radius, but the side effects of meaningful increase are not pleasant.

I lowered a 2006 convertible Mustang with Steeda Sport springs: one inch front, one-and-a-half rear, and was careful to keep tire diameter on three sets close to original. I liked it OK, and it took surprisingly little time to learn the scrape-limits, but they were present and important.

You want "lower", you accept a degree of irritation.

2617099368_0bb06f8fe5_z.jpg

^18x8.5 "Fanblades", 245-45 RE-01R tires.^

Last edited:

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I don't have any direct side shots apparently. But we're running Eibach Sportlines and Koni STR.T's on the 06. Rims are 18x9 front and 18x10 rear FR500's. Tires are Nitto 555 G2. 255/40/18 up front and 285/35/18 in the rear. Although I'd have to double check the rear. I know I went wider than what American Muscle has in their kits.

f04e100953ad073e00fd70c26a537508.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back