Help! Key is stuck!

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm building a 2005 mustang gt for drifting and you can see my build thread in the drifters section if you want. Anyways after putting my car all back together from stripping out the interior I'm having an issue where the key won't turn down to the unlock position. Only time it does is if I disconnect the battery. Also it's manual transmission so there's no "make sure it's in park" or anything like that. What would make an ignition clylinder not turn all the way? I'm clueless

-also the wheel isn't locked to one side either. The front of the car is still on jackstands

07 Boss

Reaction score
What do you mean turn down into the "unlock" position?
There is the off, accessory, on, and start positions for the key. All of them you turn the key forward from the off or locked position. There is no accessory position when you turn the key back from the off position like in old cars.

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
What do you mean turn down into the "unlock" position?
There is the off, accessory, on, and start positions for the key. All of them you turn the key forward from the off or locked position. There is no accessory position when you turn the key back from the off position like in old cars.

It wont go all the way back towards me to the off position where the key releases

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Are you certain that your wheel isn't locked up ? That's the only reason I can think of that would prevent your key from turning..

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
I would think it is something mechanical. Bad ignition cylinder or like T-Red said, might be the steering wheel lock out of place and preventing the key from turning.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
For fun locate Fuse F68 in the BEC and see if it is there. If it is pull it and see if the problem goes away. If it does we can continue on to find the source of the problem if you wish.

Any chance the car was an auto and has undergone a manual tranny swap in? Just helps to know the answer rather than assume.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back