Keys don't remain memorized after reprogramming

Ceskz

Reaction score
Hello to everyone!
i'm having a big problem here..the car won't start because my PATS system are activated when i turn the key, because the ECU keep storing only 1 key after i reprogram them.
Every time i erase all the keys and reprogram the first 2, Forscan/IDS tells me that everything went fine,and the car start right away;but when i turn her off and turn her back on, the PATS light flashes rapidly when you try to turn the key in the ignition,she doesn't start up anymore and the ECU shows that only 1 key is remained memorized in it.
Everything happened right after i swapped my ECU with another one i've got at home,to load a tune in it and keep it as a backup. Did the swap, tried to turn on the car, PATS light flashing and car won't start. The only thing happened when swapping is that a red plastic cover that is present inside the middle Female connector that goes to the ECU got stuck in the female one on the ECU,and i had to extract it and put it back where it was.
So,What is that keeps the ignition keys memorized in the ECU?or is it possible that some module(SJB)/receiver is failing?Or maybe some wire/connector problem?

P.s. i'm lucky enough to have 2 spare ECU at home for my car to try,and this happened with both of them;i've got 5 different keys to use,4 of them are Ford OEM and only 1 is a folding blade style one,but nothing change. An electrician did a test to the transceiver,and told me that it reads the code stored in the key correctly,so it should work.

If someone could give me an hint on what to check,would be really really appreciated. i'm at a dead spot right now..

DieHarder

Reaction score
B1601 and B1213...about the keys,i've also did the operation with brand new OEM keys,to no avail

References indicate number of keys below minimum. Sounds like programming is not storing or alternatively not scanning/reading accurately.

Last edited:

Ceskz

Reaction score
References indicate number of keys below minimum. Sounds like programming is not storing or alternatively not scanning/reading accurately.
Exactly..also,always remain memorized only 1 key in the ECU,and only the last key programmed can start the car right away after i have it programmed..if i take it out from the ignition or wait too much time before firing up the car, i can't start it anymore and i have to do the reprogramming anew

yote0

Reaction score
Every time i erase all the keys and reprogram the first 2, Forscan/IDS tells me that everything went fine,and the car start right away

Are you using Forscan or IDS?

Regardless, after erasing the old key codes, the proper way to do it is to program two new keys.

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
When I bought my car it only came with one programmed key. The car I traded in I gave them three, with the fobs. The dealer agreed to have a key, fob programmed into my car giving me a spare. But, when the key shop tried to program the fob, turned out it wouldn't hold the programming, it was a re-built fob. The dealer then sprung for the price of a new fob, it programmed fine and I've never had a problem in over a year... Just another possibility to your problem.

Ceskz

Reaction score
When I bought my car it only came with one programmed key. The car I traded in I gave them three, with the fobs. The dealer agreed to have a key, fob programmed into my car giving me a spare. But, when the key shop tried to program the fob, turned out it wouldn't hold the programming, it was a re-built fob. The dealer then sprung for the price of a new fob, it programmed fine and I've never had a problem in over a year... Just another possibility to your problem.
Understood,but unfortunately,mi issue is related to the keys,not the fobs..thanks for the share anyway, really appreciated.
Now i'm having a check done to all the cables related to the PATS system and a load testing for all of them..i hope that something shows up doing that..otherwise, i have to ask my tuner to disable the pats system in my custom tune, to get the car on the road, for the moment.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Understood,but unfortunately,mi issue is related to the keys,not the fobs..thanks for the share anyway, really appreciated.
Now i'm having a check done to all the cables related to the PATS system and a load testing for all of them..i hope that something shows up doing that..otherwise, i have to ask my tuner to disable the pats system in my custom tune, to get the car on the road, for the moment.
i have to ask my tuner to disable the pats system in my custom tune, to get the car on the road. Why would you not do this already. You will never get proper programming of factory functions with a custom tune in the vehicle.

Ceskz

Reaction score
Yup, i will do as a last resort..but first i want and need to figure out what happened that prevented and is preventing the car from starting because the PATS are pissed-off, and is preventing to get more than 1 key coded and remembered,after only swapping the ECU...and with swapping the ECU i mean literally only pushing out 3 connectors and re-attach them on the other ECU; also because both the ECU got already all the keys i have in hand coded in them..and the car was starting and running just 5 minutes before, when i drove it in my garage to do the swap!

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Yup, i will do as a last resort..but first i want and need to figure out what happened that prevented and is preventing the car from starting because the PATS are pissed-off, and is preventing to get more than 1 key coded and remembered,after only swapping the ECU...and with swapping the ECU i mean literally only pushing out 3 connectors and re-attach them on the other ECU; also because both the ECU got already all the keys i have in hand coded in them..and the car was starting and running just 5 minutes before, when i drove it in my garage to do the swap!
You are working backwards. Put it back to stock or you will never be able to program properly.

Ceskz

Reaction score
You are working backwards. Put it back to stock or you will never be able to program properly.
ok, i will try to..need to do it at my tuner shop,otherwise,i wouldn't be able to drive there,having a supercharger and a lots of other stuff

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back