Thermostat

patriotu

forum member
Reaction score
Hello, its time to change thermostat. Everything is stock on engine so, will an aftermarket one, like Mishimoto wich open at 160 will help , or just stay with oem part ? The summer here its hot , if this matters .
Thank you !!

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
If it has been working it should still work. I would keep the factory OEM thermostat heat setting. I would actually use a Ford part. Some times the work out weighs the added cost of an Ford OEM part. I would not want to have to do it twice because I saved a few bucks on a part. Good Luck.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
NA the 180* T-stat from O'reilly's is what I like to run. Should be tuned if you're changing temps on T-stat, and let the tuner know what temp so they can adjust your fan operation accordingly. I don't see an advantage going below 180, except for a track car that is trying to maximize a single pass. Even with a 180 T-stat my cylinder head temps show 190 normally. On a hot summer day in Vegas, 195-198. With the AC blasting, 200-205. A higher temp T-stat is actually going to cool coolant more efficiently by being able to throttle coolant flow and allow hot coolant to stay in the radiator longer while the cooler coolant absorbs as much heat as it can before flowing to the radiator. A lower temp T-stat is going to be wide open all the time passed it's designed operating temp, free-flowing the coolant through the radiator as fast as the pump wants to push, giving less time to bleed off heat. The only way to take advantage of the free-flow is with a higher capacity radiator, and/or more cores. In either situation, more capacity will yield better cooling regardless of T-stat operation. OEM is the safest choice, but I've had no issues with my 180 NA or FI.

patriotu

forum member
Reaction score
I m trying to figure wich is the rigt part number for OEM thermostat. I google it but it seems they are more than one! And also they are w/o Rubber Valve and w/ Rubber Valve. Whats the difference ?
I have to order it on line so , anybody have an ideea ?

SilverSport

Reaction score
what about the T-Stats that default open if they fail...any of those worth the trouble or just stick with stock??? (costs appear similar)

Bill

46addict

Reaction score
^^Definitely worth getting a fail safe thermostat. I don't know if you need one with a rubber valve or not. Someone else can answer that.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I m trying to figure wich is the rigt part number for OEM thermostat. I google it but it seems they are more than one! And also they are w/o Rubber Valve and w/ Rubber Valve. Whats the difference ?
I have to order it on line so , anybody have an ideea ?

OEM part number should be stamped on T-stat.. Also check with your dealership's parts dept as well..

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back