Steeda REAR brake uprade kit ?

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't have too much trouble changing the rear pads. You just need some muscles. Take the caliper in your left hand and push and twist for dear life with your right.

I bought the Harbor Freight brake tool kit when I had a coupon and it was on sale. It was the best $9.99 I ever spent for tools.

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
why would you be using your parking brake in a race application?

If we were talking about a dedicated race car here you would be right - just chock the wheels, but the OP has a street legal car that participates in HPDE. Also, if you're trailering your car to the track, you'll need your parking brake because keeping the car in gear during transport can damage the transmission.

Last edited:

stang389

forum member
Reaction score
I just leave it in gear my parking brake cable snapped hasn't affected the at one bit

SteedaSupport

Reaction score
FYI -

One thing you might try to increase both the effectiveness and life of the brakes is bedding and heat cycling the brakes when they are new. Go out on the highway and brake the car medium hard and then drive a few miles cooling them and then repeat this getting on the brakes a little harder each time until your braking hard enough to get them to start fading. This beds the pad material with the rotor and heat cycles the rotor. Try not to switch pad compounds and if you do make sure the glass bead or wet sand the rotor if possible. This will increase life and stopping power.

Also add a proportioning valve as brake bias can be an issue in your car if you have added brake upgrades the stock brake system may be not set up to handle..

My .02

Steeda Support Team

Infamousjim

forum member
Reaction score
I bought the Harbor Freight brake tool kit when I had a coupon and it was on sale. It was the best $9.99 I ever spent for tools.

so everyone knows, harbor freight isn't making these anymore... there's a couple left in their stores here and there, but nothing near me

ClassJ

Powershifter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the HF kit (there are plenty of other brands out there). Works like a charm. I actually have the ford/rotunda tool as well. The HF kit makes life much easier. The Ford tool is good for adjusting the piston a bit after you crank it down with the HF tool.

Snakebyte94

forum member
Reaction score
I have had the Steeda rear brake kit for three years. I have had no problems with them. I did notice better braking from front to rear. I also noticed the car started to use more rear braking than befor. Car stopped a lot faster. I just replaced all the rotors and pads this summer. I had EBC red on but I did'nt like them as much as the Hawk HPS. EBC reds stops better at the begining and fad alittle at the end. While Hawk HPS stops better as they get hotter. I like that way better. Hawks don't have as much brake bust either. The only reason I would change my Steeda rear brakes is to go with a 4 piston caliper.

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
Steeda discs, Brembo mono block radial mount rotors ment for a Porsche, and Wilwood parking brake. Project is just started in the pictures.

_1012216.jpg

_1012215.jpg

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
4 piston rear Brembo. Tiny pistons only 50% larger area than the stock single rear piston. My rears tires are larger then the fronts so the balance shouldn't be too out of whack. Plus Ford racing makes a alternate distribution module which puts more braking to the rear than stock with the stock brakes. I'll post a lot more info once they are done. Honestly I'll tell you this there are off the shelf systems available with internal drum brakes for the back of the mustang and they are cost effective if you have to have 4 piston rear brakes.

FR500GT

forum member
Reaction score
So I have the Steeda 13" rear kit laying around and I'm debating installing it now. I have the stock Saleen 14" front and was going to put a slightly better front and rear pad in and at the same time. Even though my Saleen only has 9k miles on it, the rear rotors are warped so I'm going to have to replace them anyways. Any suggestions? Car is a daily that sees the track every now and then.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So I have the Steeda 13" rear kit laying around and I'm debating installing it now. I have the stock Saleen 14" front and was going to put a slightly better front and rear pad in and at the same time. Even though my Saleen only has 9k miles on it, the rear rotors are warped so I'm going to have to replace them anyways. Any suggestions? Car is a daily that sees the track every now and then.
Sell it and get the GT500 rear brake upgrade instead. Both kits are similar, but i'd rather be able to get rotors from anywhere as opposed to having to go through only one source (Steeda).

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back