Help with failsafe and trouble codes

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Went to pick the battery up they charged last night and after sitting for 3 hrs this morning it wouldnt pass the load test so they gave me a refund and I bought a Optima yellow top this time. Put the new battery on the car and I now have 14.30v at idle. I ran the car till fully warm and then turned it off. I then reset the datalog and restarted the car BAM P0340 and P0344 codes are still coming on second start. WTF

I guess I will install a temporary ground from the motor to the battery and see if anything changes.

It almost sounds like multiple issues. I don't want to be Debbie downer here but I have ask why the Optima? That name is a recurring theme when it comes to battery problem threads.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Fucking crankshaft possion senor!!!

After doing some reading on the net today I found a couple of threads on F150s that had these same codes. One Ford tech was telling a guy about how these codes are set when the PCM sences an intemitant fault on the cam sensors and that the sensors are only used on start up to tell the PCM and CKP sensor where the cams are.

One thing that didnt make sence to me though is why no CEL for the CKP sensor? Well the sensor was working but it has oil seaping through it! When I pulled the connector there was oil inside. I thought about how the FRPS will seap fuel when they go bad and for $25 it was worth a try.

Thats when I thought to myself well then if there is only an itermitant short then maybe, just maybe, it could be the CKP sensor. Ran down to the local Napa and bought one and sure enough no more CEL.

I have started the car four times now and no code and it was like clock work before, every second start after clearing the code. I am going to let the car sit a while and start it a few more times later.

As for the Optima battery Bruce, this is the first time I have every had trouble with on is on this car. The first one (Redtop) sat over two yrs while the car was down and the second that I just took out was only six months old so IDK there. From the reading I did on Optomas site thismorning the Redtop really doesnt like to sit and not be used. That is where the switch from the red to the yellow can in. They say the Yellowtop is like a combination of the Red and Blue (marine) and it can take the beating of being ran down lower along with being able to sit without issue.

Weather should be better here tomorrow and I will do some driving to test further.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Good news. What a journey that was! This is the kind of info that is very valuable to all of us. Sorry you had to go through it.

Good info for sure! I never would have thought of the CKP sensor if that tech had not mentioned how the CMP sensors are used by the PCM on startup. I mean where the hell is the CKP code? I have been fighting this for Months and the only reason I can think of as to why it just got worse was the fact it was leaking oil through the sensor and the leak must have slowly made the sensor get worse. Keep in mind though this was not a major leak that you would see without removing the connector

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Good find! Congrats on the fix.

Thanks! I am REALLY glad this one is behind me. I have been fighting these same two CELs since the car was completed as it just got worse and worse. Pretty much since I went to NMRA in Houston these same two codes have come on every other time the car was started after clearing them. At the track it felt like that once the cell was set the car would run a little slower. Im just glad its done. I know my neighbors have to be tired of me starting the car tonight! 12 starts down now and not a single CEL.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back