Car randomly doesn't want to start

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
So this is kind of an oddball and I've tried searching to see if anyone had anything similar but I didn't find anything. In the past 2 months, 4 times my car simply did not want to start. First time it happened was on my road trip from California to Florida. Took the battery out and went to a local autozone and it was perfect. Put it back in and it fired right up. Figured it was a gremlin and that was that. Well it's happened three times since. It won't try to turn over or anything. Car is a manual so I though maybe clutch sensor or whatever it's called, by everything looks fine. And 98% of the time it starts up without any issue at all. To get it working when it acts up, I don't do anything different. It'll just eventually work. Anybody have anything similar or can point me in a direction to look?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
So this is kind of an oddball and I've tried searching to see if anyone had anything similar but I didn't find anything. In the past 2 months, 4 times my car simply did not want to start. First time it happened was on my road trip from California to Florida. Took the battery out and went to a local autozone and it was perfect. Put it back in and it fired right up. Figured it was a gremlin and that was that. Well it's happened three times since. It won't try to turn over or anything. Car is a manual so I though maybe clutch sensor or whatever it's called, by everything looks fine. And 98% of the time it starts up without any issue at all. To get it working when it acts up, I don't do anything different. It'll just eventually work. Anybody have anything similar or can point me in a direction to look?

I think you already hit it. Either the clutch pedal isn't far enough down or the sensor adjustment isn't right.

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
I think you already hit it. Either the clutch pedal isn't far enough down or the sensor adjustment isn't right.

It's just bizarre that it's only done it four times out of the 1,000 (exaggeration) that I've done over the past two months. How can I adjust it?

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
Get under the dash and function the clutch. Bend it if necessary. It's easy. I had to do it when my cruise control stopped working.

It's just a metal tab that stops a plastic slide on the pedal

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
Get under the dash and function the clutch. Bend it if necessary. It's easy. I had to do it when my cruise control stopped working.

It's just a metal tab that stops a plastic slide on the pedal

When I look at it like that, it all looks fine. The trigger goes all the way in like it seems like it should.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
To add fuel to the fire...

My 07 will do this too sometimes and if I push the pedal down literally a hair it will start. Im guessing mine needs to get adjusted. Perhaps theyre very finicky about how far they need to be depressed? To me it sounds like it.

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
To add fuel to the fire...

My 07 will do this too sometimes and if I push the pedal down literally a hair it will start. Im guessing mine needs to get adjusted. Perhaps theyre very finicky about how far they need to be depressed? To me it sounds like it.

Maybe. Just blows my mind that I've put 60,000 miles on the car in 4 years and it never did it until two months ago. And like I said, only four times total. I don't do anything different when I start the car. Even when it finally works I don't do anything different.

Maybe the clutch switch is slowly going bad? I figured with electronics, when it goes, it goes. Not anything in between.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Maybe. Just blows my mind that I've put 60,000 miles on the car in 4 years and it never did it until two months ago. And like I said, only four times total. I don't do anything different when I start the car. Even when it finally works I don't do anything different.

Maybe the clutch switch is slowly going bad? I figured with electronics, when it goes, it goes. Not anything in between.

Yes and no, if it was an intermittent short it would only give you problems sometimes. Im inclined to believe the sensor itself has slightly moved and now its harder for the switch to be tripped all the way. Just a guess. You could (I would recommend a helper lol) push on the clutch various distances and see if that may affect starting. Or it could be a random issue but Im willing to bet your issue is similar to mine. If it happens again keep the key turned and try pushing the clutch in more.

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
Yes and no, if it was an intermittent short it would only give you problems sometimes. Im inclined to believe the sensor itself has slightly moved and now its harder for the switch to be tripped all the way. Just a guess. You could (I would recommend a helper lol) push on the clutch various distances and see if that may affect starting. Or it could be a random issue but Im willing to bet your issue is similar to mine. If it happens again keep the key turned and try pushing the clutch in more.

That's the weird part. I push the clutch in the same every time. It'll just magically work. I went out this evening after the Florida heat gave me a break and played with the switch with my hand. It needs to be in a good amount to start, but every time I start the car, I always push the clutch as far as it goes. I've done that with all my cars for my 15 years of driving. It's pretty much a muscle memory habit.

Turbotungsten

forum member
Reaction score
Next time it happens, have someone push down on the back of the power distribution box over where the starter relay is while you start it. My car does this frequently and works every time. I have taken apart the entire box and cleaned contact and changed relays with no help, but this trick works. Might not be your problem though.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I used to have to stand on my clutch pedal sometimes until I bent that soft ass tab to make it engage a little further off the floor. It's crazy how easily it bent.

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
Next time it happens, have someone push down on the back of the power distribution box over where the starter relay is while you start it. My car does this frequently and works every time. I have taken apart the entire box and cleaned contact and changed relays with no help, but this trick works. Might not be your problem though.

Where is this box you speak of? And the probably is, it's usually at the most inconvenient time. Twice it happened at a busy gas station and I have to wait at a pump and keep trying until it fires up. Extremely annoying and slightly embarrassing.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Here is a list of components that can be related to the starting system.

Mechanical Electrical
  • Starter motor
  • Flexplate
  • Flywheel
  • Battery
  • Smart Junction Box (SJB) fuse 21 (10A)
  • Bussed Electrical Center (BEC) fuse 4 (30A)
  • Anti-theft system
  • Damaged wiring harness
  • Loose or corroded connections

The Smart Junction Box breaking down internally could be a very suspect cause also!

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
Here is a list of components that can be related to the starting system.

Mechanical Electrical
  • Starter motor
  • Flexplate
  • Flywheel
  • Battery
  • Smart Junction Box (SJB) fuse 21 (10A)
  • Bussed Electrical Center (BEC) fuse 4 (30A)
  • Anti-theft system
  • Damaged wiring harness
  • Loose or corroded connections

The Smart Junction Box breaking down internally could be a very suspect cause also!

Where is that located? I can take a peak at it.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Smart junction box is located in the passengers side kick panel. The BEC in case you weren't aware is under the hood on the left front side.

If still in doubt of the clutch pedal switch...jumper it out. Its only two wires. For that matter its only a switch that can't be that expensive. Just replace it. Then if the problem continues you can focus on the rest of the circuit.

Last edited:

Turbotungsten

forum member
Reaction score
The power distribution box (probably officially BEC) is under the hood in the right front, just in front of the strut tower.

46addict

Reaction score
My car requires standing on the pedal to start too. I thought this was a case of me not being strong enough/too lazy to overcome the Exedy clutch, but maybe my tab just needs bent.

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
My car requires standing on the pedal to start too. I thought this was a case of me not being strong enough/too lazy to overcome the Exedy clutch, but maybe my tab just needs bent.

Hmm... I have an exedy too that was installed in February. Mach 400 by any chance? I got underneath the dash and pushed the clutch with my hand to see how far it needed to go down to allow it to start and it is a pretry good ways. But I would think it'd happen more often if the tab needed to be bent.

Back