Reaction score
So here's my shopping list:

• Ford Performance Front Lower Control Arms (M-3075-E): $302
  • MOOG Front Inner Tie Rod End (EV80804): $32 each x 2 = $64
  • MOOG Outer Tie Rod End (ES80805): $24 each x 2 = $48
  • MOOG Sway bar end link (K80899): $29 each x 2 = $58
  • Prothane Sway Bar Bushing Kit (6-1161-BL) : $10
Total: $482

That's still less than $610 for parts that the shop quoted me.

So I think I'll just order the parts and have them put it on.

Now, there's no difference between left and right parts right?

Anything else I'm missing ?

Some shops will do this and just not offer any kind of warranty, it may be an option for you. It doesn't mean the work will be sub par, just that they aren't responsible for failures.

Phil1098

Reaction score
I put these on as they are the new improved design for the sway bar end links. MOTORCRAFT MEF201. You can get them at Rockauto.com for $27 and they are really good. Got rid of the loose log clunk in my front end. Big improvement in design from the 05-06 design. The MOOGs you have listed look like the old style. Tip on the install, take the sway bar out and install the links, then you can get a torque wrench on them and get them to 85lb.ft. (if I remember right). The other end through the strut is easy to torque.

LordBritish

forum member
Reaction score
I put these on as they are the new improved design for the sway bar end links. MOTORCRAFT MEF201. You can get them at Rockauto.com for $27 and they are really good. Got rid of the loose log clunk in my front end. Big improvement in design from the 05-06 design. The MOOGs you have listed look like the old style. Tip on the install, take the sway bar out and install the links, then you can get a torque wrench on them and get them to 85lb.ft. (if I remember right). The other end through the strut is easy to torque.

Should I get the Motorcraft MEF201 end links or the MOOG K80899 ?

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Control Arm Labor is 2.0 Hours

Inner and Outer Tie Rod Labor is 1.3 Hours

Stabilizer Link Labor is .6 Hours.

That is a total of 3.9 Hours. We are at 149.95 per hour. So that is 584.81 plus wheel alignment. I am a Dealership so it gives you an idea where pricing is.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
We are at 149.95 per hour.

HOLY SHIT!!!! :omfg:

Around my area it's $85-100/hr tops (unless luxury). Go 30 miles away from the city and you can find good independents doing it for $60-75.

$150 bucks and hour....damn.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
HOLY SHIT!!!! :omfg:

Around my area it's $85-100/hr tops (unless luxury). Go 30 miles away from the city and you can find good independents doing it for $60-75.

$150 bucks and hour....damn.

I am a Ford/Lincoln Dealer. One of our other properties which is BMW is 194.95 per hour. Labor rate is based on Demographic studies.

We are also very busy. Right now we are busy enough that we are scheduling appointments for next Thursday. Unless it is a possible safety issue. Good Problem to have!

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you can get it that is a good problem to have.

46addict

Reaction score
OP did not state if the bill includes an alignment. Not all shops have an alignment rack so you may have to outsource that part. I think $600 for labor is high but I come from an area where maintenance & repair is $85 an hour, $100/hr for performance tuning, and $130/hr for German cars.

I would shop around and choose an independent shop. Typically they don't mind if you supply the parts as they won't always have all the parts in stock anyway.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
OP did not state if the bill includes an alignment. Not all shops have an alignment rack so you may have to outsource that part. I think $600 for labor is high but I come from an area where maintenance & repair is $85 an hour, $100/hr for performance tuning, and $130/hr for German cars.

I would shop around and choose an independent shop. Typically they don't mind if you supply the parts as they won't always have all the parts in stock anyway.

That is because everything sells for "Peanuts" where you are. Sorry man. Could not refuse that one!

LordBritish

forum member
Reaction score

I spoke to the shop and they said alignment was included in the $1230 quote. Alignment is $120.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I suppose one could exchange cocaine for automotive work around your neck of the woods.

Not here. I am just outside of Fort Lauderdale. A little further South in the Miami area you have the Cocaine and other fine methods of killing your self. LOL!

LordBritish

forum member
Reaction score
Some shops will do this and just not offer any kind of warranty, it may be an option for you. It doesn't mean the work will be sub par, just that they aren't responsible for failures.

Shop said they will let me use my own parts but will increase labor costs to compensate.

LordBritish

forum member
Reaction score
The shop said that I don't need inner tie rod ends, just the outer tie rod ends.

If I get these MOOG outer tie rod ends, will they connect properly with the stock inner tie rod ends ?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't know. I see the shops point. They are expecting to make a certain profit on labor and also profit on parts. They may depend on that combined profit to make their profit requirements. If you pull some of that profit away they can either adjust labor or turn down the job outright and service another customer.

You gotta make a profit to keep the lights on, pay the mortgage, pay the employees, etc.... And then the owner needs to get some scratch for bankrolling this whole venture.

46addict

Reaction score
Shop said they will let me use my own parts but will increase labor costs to compensate.

Don't say he didn't warn ya. The consensus is that you need to shop around or do it yourself.

Yeah, the vast majority of their bill will be the labor. But that's what they need in order to keep the doors open and pay everybody. I think asking them to install parts you bought elsewhere at a discounted price may be taken as an insult and you may not get the kindest reception. If you need to pay them for the service of doing the labor, let them make the $50-100 on parts also. If money is that tight then break out your toolbox and swap the parts yourself. Then pay them for the alignment afterward.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know. I see the shops point. They are expecting to make a certain profit on labor and also profit on parts. They may depend on that combined profit to make their profit requirements. If you pull some of that profit away they can either adjust labor or turn down the job outright and service another customer.

You gotta make a profit to keep the lights on, pay the mortgage, pay the employees, etc.... And then the owner needs to get some scratch for bankrolling this whole venture.

Parts included or Not. Labor should not change. That word spreading around the streets can be VERY BAD for business. The Shop makes a statement but the perception is different and can hurt business.

I don't know of any shop that can afford to turn away 6-700 in Labor Dollars. What pays the bills in a shop? Part prices are fixed generally and profit is minimal depending on how deep you are with your supplier.

Assume the tech is Flat Rate and with the Alignment it is 5.3 Hours. Even at 30.00 per hour you have 159.00 cost and the rest is profit. The other key is with customer supplied parts there is absolutely no implied warranty. The warranty is with the parts store......Not the shop.

Back