Broken followers?

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
Wow, WTF? Did you add a drywall screw to each cylinder?

ff1.png

Sinner

forum member
Reaction score
All four valves bent were on the same bank then? Were they all intakes / exhaust? I am telling you that just doesn't sound right. And how would a broken follower bend 4 valves in 3 seconds? Anyhow I think you need to verify cam timing at the very least. You already have the heads off? Bent valves and broken follower sounds very much like valve train interference, especially for it to happen so quickly.

All valves were on the same bank and next to each other. It could have been running slightly longer but not much. I wasn't there but the shop started the car and heard noise and shut the car down ASAP.

The timing had to be correct because it was set by the builder gas then double checked by the shop.

Right now the entire motor is apart and will be reassembled again with all new followers.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
All valves were on the same bank and next to each other. It could have been running slightly longer but not much. I wasn't there but the shop started the car and heard noise and shut the car down ASAP.

The timing had to be correct because it was set by the builder gas then double checked by the shop.

Right now the entire motor is apart and will be reassembled again with all new followers.

Did they take a picture? It's easy to get the cam 180 out if the builder isn't paying attention or isn't familiar with the 3v. Each phaser has two timing marks, one for L and one for R. I could see someone using the L for both banks or even not knowing which side is R and L.

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
Did they take a picture? It's easy to get the cam 180 out if the builder isn't paying attention or isn't familiar with the 3v. Each phaser has two timing marks, one for L and one for R. I could see someone using the L for both banks or even not knowing which side is R and L.

I did this the first time I put my 3V together years ago. One cam 180* out won't cause piston to valve clearance problems but the engine is VERY VERY difficult to turn over by hand because of the amount of springs that are trying to be compressed at the same time. I knew something was wrong for sure...just took a little time to figure it out. Fortunately the engine was still on the stand and it didn't hurt anything.

Sinner

forum member
Reaction score
I have no idea what caused the one follower to break. I'm just chalking it up to bad luck.

I'm certain the timing was correct but it doesn't matter because the motor is all apart and will be built again.

I just need to sell my extra and old parts to recoup some cash. Nothing on this build went as planned.

I will have flat top big bore pistons and Procharger slim fan that didn't work along with a lot more

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
I have no idea what caused the one follower to break. I'm just chalking it up to bad luck.

I'm certain the timing was correct but it doesn't matter because the motor is all apart and will be built again.

I just need to sell my extra and old parts to recoup some cash. Nothing on this build went as planned.

I will have flat top big bore pistons and Procharger slim fan that didn't work along with a lot more

DAmn. I have never heard of one just "breaking" especially in those conditions. That is just very very unlikely. Think of all the abuse those things take. I watched a video of them surviving just fine at 8,000 rpm. At 9,000 rpm they started to smoke the rollers but they still did not break.. think about that for a while..

Hate to say it but something most likely got jacked on assembly.

Good luck man, sucks being down that long

Last edited:

Sinner

forum member
Reaction score
Hmmm maybe the lifter for that follower failed? I never thought about that until now... I bought all new lifters as well.

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
the car is at true street in pieces

Same place that somehow blows up an NA coyote engine by doing nothing but changing injectors so they can run E85. Same place that sends a guy down the highway with his electric fan unplugged in the summer TX heat. I'm sorry you've got problems, but if you don't know, you need to know that there are plenty of horror stories about what has gone on there. That place is a running joke amongst the DFW5.0 guys. I wouldn't take anything they tell you as fact unless I could verify it myself. As stated above, it's nearly 100% probability of P to V contact when a follower breaks in half, especially when just cranking the engine up.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Fawwwwk, I have the PAC 1533 springs on the way and my cams are going to be about .525 as well. Please lord Jesus watch over my motor!

Sinner

forum member
Reaction score
Same place that somehow blows up an NA coyote engine by doing nothing but changing injectors so they can run E85. Same place that sends a guy down the highway with his electric fan unplugged in the summer TX heat. I'm sorry you've got problems, but if you don't know, you need to know that there are plenty of horror stories about what has gone on there. That place is a running joke amongst the DFW5.0 guys. I wouldn't take anything they tell you as fact unless I could verify it myself. As stated above, it's nearly 100% probability of P to V contact when a follower breaks in half, especially when just cranking the engine up.

DFW5.0 guys are jack asses for the most part. They bash the shit out of a lot of things because they have nothing better to do. I've been to a lot of shops in my life and they ALL have horror stories but it's how the shop handles things that makes the difference.

Plus if you get the car owners perspective alone, it's not always the most accurate or truthful... With that said, TS has always treated me and my cars with respect had done good work for me and I have no reason to be unhappy. They had no part in causing what happened to my car.

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
Im not sure if you guys saw my case...

Was doing a WOT pull through 4th... my wot box limiter didn't engage and I hit the factory limitier on 11 lbs of boost... Sounded like I had a broken rod lol... This was on the exhaust vavle cylinder #1... Tore the motor and heads down and everything looked great...

All the pieces stayed in the heard and not a single mark on the pistons.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well did you have 4 bent valves also like the OP? What about that one exhaust valve, was that bent?

The very definition of valve float is the valve is not on the seat when its supposed to be (due to a variety of reasons, but #1 usually is too high of an rpm for the spring to handle). For a follower to break in half, something hit something is all I am saying. Either that or the stock followers are pretty weak. But I have seen some pretty fast mod motors use the stock followers so.....

Last edited:

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
Im not sure if you guys saw my case...

Was doing a WOT pull through 4th... my wot box limiter didn't engage and I hit the factory limitier on 11 lbs of boost... Sounded like I had a broken rod lol... This was on the exhaust vavle cylinder #1... Tore the motor and heads down and everything looked great...

All the pieces stayed in the heard and not a single mark on the pistons.

I have read about them coming off before when running but a rare deal. And those did not result in bending valves and such. I still really think you had a timing issue

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I'm also going to say there was a cam timing issue. That's about the only thing that can cause that. You were told it was double checked, but I don't think that was the case. The only thing that can bend a valve is from the valve being open while the piston comes to the top. On startup, the only thing that can cause that is improper cam timing, or too much cam lift with little/no notch in the piston.

You said above that it doesn't matter what it was, it's getting fixed now. Well don't you think it does matter? You don't want to do this all over again right? I'd find out exactly what caused it before continuing.

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
I did a spring swap this winter and have the pac 1533 springs, I first had the Manley 26125-24 but didn't like the fit so I put the Pacs in. I run it up to 7,000 on the stock followers and lash adjusters without issue, I did notice that you have to be careful when installing those followers so they are seated right, that could be a reason for breaking.
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109864

Back