Rich on one side - P2196 (passenger, bank 1)

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
I have to admit it all came off quick even if I was cursing the whole time [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
One day soon I hope to drive this car again.....and compete in the how many times have you taken that part off contest

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
Leak down reveals no valve damage and now we retime and soon Lito can work his magic

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds right
Likes I said above 180° off means it's still in time within up/down of piston
But it's 1 rotation off of spark

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Sounds right
Likes I said above 180° off means it's still in time within up/down of piston
But it's 1 rotation off of spark
Man... that almost sounds like what is going on with *one side* of mine. The other side is fine, though.

Being 180* out would affect both sides, right?

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
na, driver side being 180 out means the compression/leak down should be the same as normal, just that the compression stroke is 1 rotation off and it sparks off when the exhaust stroke is going instead.

Like I said at work we build small engines, going off the same principal timing it 180 off is the exact same as 0, and since the small engine sparks with every rotation its fine. However since ours only spark on the compression stroke its now trying to spark while also throwing gas/air mixture out the exhaust. And being 2 cam's just proves it only being rich on one side shows its gotta be that

Last edited:

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
The only way to know for sure is pull valve covers and line up the timing marks on cam gears. That is when it was confirmed for us

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Man... I've done that. I timed it, and retimed it. I did it the same way I've always done it. Other than a tooth or two being off when the chains jumped, I have never messed up that bad.

Basically, I bring cylinder 1 to TDC, then set the timing marks for the 5.4L 3v from the FSM. The dark links on the chain are a little different, and the chains are a little longer, but it's essentially the same procedure. I can't see how I could possibly have one side off 180* without having them both off (ie: if I had not put cyl #1 at TDC).

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
The passengers cam gear should have | or a R| or R and drivers will be up arrow and L correct?

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I put my motor together the other week, Made sure the timing mark on the crank was pointing down and the bronze links were lined up and the cam's were at their correct marks probably 10 times, and confirmed with a friend who was there.

I was nearly 1 tooth off on driver side but easily swapped them before i pulled the tensioner clips

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
I put my motor together the other week, Made sure the timing mark on the crank was pointing down and the bronze links were lined up and the cam's were at their correct marks probably 10 times, and confirmed with a friend who was there.

I was nearly 1 tooth off on driver side but easily swapped them before i pulled the tensioner clips
How can you be "nearly 1 tooth off" ?

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
nearly 1 tooth off = 1 off, but fixed it so im not.....hah

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
Another attribute my engine gave which has went away with fixing this was during a manual turn by hand there was a real tight spot and it was because so many valves were open others were compressing. Now that it's timed right that spot is gone

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
good to hear.

yea having twice as many trying to compress at once would suck

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back