Stuck Rich codes (P2196 and P2198)

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
Went to move my 07 out of the driveway, first time in about 3-4 weeks. Started fine, moved jr and shut it off. Went back an hour later to move into the garage and met with a check engine. Scanned to 4 codes: all about stuck rich. Both banks, both O2’s reporting. Can’t be both sensors have failed, so something is triggering them. Any ideas? Car seems to run ok.
Codes:
P2196
P2198

Last edited:

Edqe

Reaction score
Clear the codes. Shut off all accessories: radio, A/C blower fan, lights. Start car. Just let it idle until it reaches normal running temp. Next turn on all accessories and let it idle for 10 minutes.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Have you data logged the situation? I mean it could be a lot of things like too much fuel pressure to a bad MAF.

Edqe

Reaction score
Test the voltage after start up and after reaching normal running temp with all accessories on. Drive it around for a bit and test again. Your test results should read between 13.8-14.1+ the entire time. If not, your alternator is starting to go. A weak alternator can cause the issues you’re experiencing.

RRPD4130

Reaction score
The Last Citadel of Freedom-Great State of Texas
I had a similar scenario pop-up one morning in the middle of the Wuhan virus lockdown era. Resources and logistics were fractionally available to properly address the sudden anomalies.
Erratic DTCs, but the very long, bizarre story was simple: the $50 plastic fuel rail pressure sensor disintegrated and sent full boogie fuel to the cylinders, throwing O2 bank codes, etc. The motor hydrolocked during the KOEO diagnostic cycles, gas flooded the intake, and the epilogue was my motor being replaced by a local Ford dealership.
I wish you the best, sir.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I had a similar scenario pop-up one morning in the middle of the Wuhan virus lockdown era. Resources and logistics were fractionally available to properly address the sudden anomalies.
Erratic DTCs, but the very long, bizarre story was simple: the $50 plastic fuel rail pressure sensor disintegrated and sent full boogie fuel to the cylinders, throwing O2 bank codes, etc. The motor hydrolocked during the KOEO diagnostic cycles, gas flooded the intake, and the epilogue was my motor being replaced by a local Ford dealership.
And what's to stop that from happening again ? This is like an accident waiting to happen.

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
Did the regulator look physically bad?

Edqe

Reaction score
Try cleaning the MAF sensor or replace with an OEM part. Stick with common issues related to the codes involving both sides of the engine. Keeps us posted!

RRPD4130

Reaction score
Did the regulator look physically bad?
I apologize for taking so long to revisit, didn't expect followup questions; Blue was inside the Lincoln dealership for about 5 weeks, just Wuhanvirus-waiting her turn.
The Level1 Squared Away tech diagnosed, prognosed, and communicated regularly with me by phone. He described the FRPS as "..exterior housing appeared normal...extraction per fail SOP...it had just disintegrated...playdoh goo in the receptacle".
It was a bizarre time.

RRPD4130

Reaction score
And what's to stop that from happening again ? This is like an accident waiting to happen.
"What's to stop" a repeat, you ask? Heheheh..
Well, the Grace of God, some uncertain hope in a Law of Probability, and occasionally saluting mockingbirds three times for good luck (hat tip: Jeremy Clarkson).

On the meta-sense, the question also applies to "The CoVSARS19 Event."

Back