Catalytic Converters &The State Of FL

46addict

Reaction score
Not to mention the weight savings and it's cheaper to get an offroad midpipe. I understand the need to save our ozone layer though.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
if I had to do it again, i'd leave them on probably. It gained a bit more sound, lost some bottom end torque (might be in the tune, switching to VMP soon) and I now have a hissing sound that I can't get rid of (checked everything, it's not leaking).

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
if I had to do it again, i'd leave them on probably. It gained a bit more sound, lost some bottom end torque (might be in the tune, switching to VMP soon) and I now have a hissing sound that I can't get rid of (checked everything, it's not leaking).

Brooks Was Here

Attachments

• oldmanmourning.jpg
    oldmanmourning.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 4

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
^^^That.

I find cops tend to let you off with a warning if your shit is 100% legal.

That also depends on how cordial you are to them. I have been stopped numerous times with my 86 mainly to see what the hell it is making all that noise. I don't beat on my car on the street. Bottom line is.......Don't give them a reason.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
I've lived in FL all my life and have never even been asked about cats on any of my cars, and I've had many loud obnoxious cars over the years. Never heard of anyone getting a hard time about it either. I earned many, many tickets back in my younger days and even when I was being a smart ass to the cops where they gave me 3 tickets at the same time, I still have never been questioned about cats. BTW welcome to the hood!

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
The sound of the air rushing through the pipes is normal. The cats really muffle a lot of sounds like that including rasp. With the right combo it can still sound pretty good, and louder, without cats. It is hard to get right though and many of us are known to be fickle about it.

As far as getting more power out of it the gains aren't what they used to be. Paranoid people such as myself like to have them out of the picture since it is one less point of failure and I've read of the occasional cat coming apart. It is a rare thing though.

I live in a free state however am relocating to one (slightly) less free that requires OBD2. I think the feds getting called in to get you is a rare event but if it ever did happen once bitten twice shy or in the case of 10 big ones more like 100x shy.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I've lived in FL all my life and have never even been asked about cats on any of my cars, and I've had many loud obnoxious cars over the years. Never heard of anyone getting a hard time about it either. I earned many, many tickets back in my younger days and even when I was being a smart ass to the cops where they gave me 3 tickets at the same time, I still have never been questioned about cats. BTW welcome to the hood!

Asked a few people and was advised that a Regular Cop can not issue you any more than a lighting or tint ticket technically. For anything else they need to contact a DOT officer. They are primarily worried about Big Trucks for safety as they should be.

bunits19714

forum member
Reaction score
Pro and cons to no cats-
better sound, lighter, alternative fuel choice (leaded race or e-85) & slightly more power by tuning more aggressively

cons- smell , plus resale/ trade is affected possible if not returned to stock
smell can be combatted by running e-85 which is READILY available in FL.
Yours being a convertible every time you come to a stop your cabin will be flood with raw exhaust fumes(gets on your cloths not very appealing) I have been cat less since my car was 3 months old and on regular gas it was terrible, race fuel blend was better and now e-85 is a acceptable smell

46addict

Reaction score

Yeah my car came from south Florida and it had the cats and rear o2 sensors removed with the o2 monitor tuned out when I bought it. Emission controls don't matter there.

Pro and cons to no cats-
better sound, lighter, alternative fuel choice (leaded race or e-85) & slightly more power by tuning more aggressively

Wouldn't leaded race fuel ruin o2 sensors and shorten the life of typical motor oils? Or is that an internet myth?

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Brooks Was Here

Nope, It's Chris. Sorry .... I don't get it.

The sound of the air rushing through the pipes is normal. The cats really muffle a lot of sounds like that including rasp. With the right combo it can still sound pretty good, and louder, without cats. It is hard to get right though and many of us are known to be fickle about it.

As far as getting more power out of it the gains aren't what they used to be. Paranoid people such as myself like to have them out of the picture since it is one less point of failure and I've read of the occasional cat coming apart. It is a rare thing though.

I live in a free state however am relocating to one (slightly) less free that requires OBD2. I think the feds getting called in to get you is a rare event but if it ever did happen once bitten twice shy or in the case of 10 big ones more like 100x shy.

Didn't know about the air rushing sound until after I installed, but i'm aware that it's normal. I bought the x-pipe used, got a good deal. I don't regret the purchase, just probably wouldn't do it again.

rcharles

forum member
Reaction score
Pro and cons to no cats-

cons- smell , plus resale/ trade is affected possible if not returned to stock
smell can be combatted by running e-85 which is READILY available in FL.
Yours being a convertible every time you come to a stop your cabin will be flood with raw exhaust fumes(gets on your cloths not very appealing) I have been cat less since my car was 3 months old and on regular gas it was terrible, race fuel blend was better and now e-85 is a acceptable smell

Other pro:
Lund's cammed tune...:)

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
What about high flow cats ? They are bigger in diameter..but shorter. I used ceramic coated JBA LT's + high flow catted H..on my 2010. I had previously installed FRPP FRS-500 SS mufflers soon after I bought the car. After the LT's + high flow catted H went in, it was stupid loud.... plus drone at 1900 rpm. My 'fix' was to weld in a pair of pypes SS M80 resonator's.... just b4 the rear axle. Problem solved, knocked the sound level down to acceptable, and drone 95% gone. Apparently the increase in loudness was not from the LT's, but the high flow cats. It was the one mod that actually made a huge difference, way more tq across the powerband..right up to redline. Then got VMP to re-tune it..again. It was running a bit lean with the M90 blower on. Funny thing was, I didn't get any drop in boost with the LT's + high flow catted H installed. Stayed put at 5.8 psi. With M80's installed, the overall pitch goes down, at idle there is almost what appears to be a sub sonic component to it. Hold an empty, large cardboard box by one corner flap, just behind, and off to one side, 3' away from either rear red side marker light...and box vibrates.
If I get behind a mustang with no cats...running 89-94 octane pump gas, man it just wreaks something awful.... I gag on it at a red light.

Last edited:

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What about high flow cats ? They are bigger in diameter..but shorter. I used ceramic coated JBA LT's + high flow catted H..on my 2010. I had previously installed FRPP FRS-500 SS mufflers soon after I bought the car. After the LT's + high flow catted H went in, it was stupid loud.... plus drone at 1900 rpm. My 'fix' was to weld in a pair of pypes SS M80 resonator's.... just b4 the rear axle. Problem solved, knocked the sound level down to acceptable, and drone 95% gone. Apparently the increase in loudness was not from the LT's, but the high flow cats. It was the one mod that actually made a huge difference, way more tq across the powerband..right up to redline. Then got VMP to re-tune it..again. It was running a bit lean with the M90 blower on. Funny thing was, I didn't get any drop in boost with the LT's + high flow catted H installed. Stayed put at 5.8 psi. With M80's installed, the overall pitch goes down, at idle there is almost what appears to be a sub sonic component to it. Hold an empty, large cardboard box by one corner flap, just behind, and off to one side, 3' away from either rear red side marker light...and box vibrates.
If I get behind a mustang with no cats...running 89-94 octane pump gas, man it just wreaks something awful.... I gag on it at a red light.

That Sounds Awesome.

46addict

Reaction score
So before the catted H went in, were you catless? I wonder what made you think of holding an empty box behind the car, lol.

I am currently running no cats and I feel bad for people, especially motorcyclists who are stuck behind me.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back