need some help, car wont start

06slow6

Reaction score
2006 mustang pony pkg car, 75k jlt cai 93 race pypes catback.
alternator died on me the other day. i replaced it along with a fully charged battery and car wont crank at all. i checked all the fuses under the hood and batterys reading 12.4 volts. if i run a hard wire from the battery to the starter silanoid it will crank but not start but gets nothing from the key. i was thinking it may be something to do with the pats system any one know anything about it? any help is appreciated :thanks1:

Lone Ranger

Reaction score
Is it a manual transmission? My clutch lock out button needed adjusting. I had to shim the nub on the peddle arm. Hope I didn't get to technical. :)

06slow6

Reaction score
Is it a manual transmission? My clutch lock out button needed adjusting. I had to shim the nub on the peddle arm. Hope I didn't get to technical. :)

nope auto, i was out goin through it the other day and narrowed it down to its not the battery and its not the ign switch, all fuses were tested and good, im thinking a starter relay, starter silinoid (SP?), or the PCM (but hopefully not). can anyone tell me where the starter relay is located? because i cant seem to find it. i need to get this thing fixed asap, its my daily and driving my 94' bronco around that only gets 6-9 mpg sucks:mad2:

Lone Ranger

Reaction score
You can rule out the solenoid with the test you already ran. If you try it while the key is in the run position, it should stay running. (Make sure your car is in park) May be your key switch itself.

06slow6

Reaction score
wont start at all even if i run a wire from the battery to the starter it will only crank, i checked the power to the ign switch and it was getting power. im really leaning towards the PCM because when i attempted to reflash back to stock i could not upload the stock file and when i turn the key, theres a clicking sound coming from the area the PCM is in. hoping i can either find a PCM for cheap or maybe take it to the ford dealership if i can renew my warrenty

06slow6

Reaction score
thanks for the help man ! i think this one is gonna be a bigger problem then i thought. i did find a pcm on fleabay for around 150 with shipping so im gonna see if i can test the one now and see where that goes, hoping to have the car back by may 1st for a memorial cruise for one of my friends from the local mustang club that passed a few months back, looking at 50 cars + so i better start working on this thing.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
thanks for the help man ! i think this one is gonna be a bigger problem then i thought. i did find a pcm on fleabay for around 150 with shipping so im gonna see if i can test the one now and see where that goes, hoping to have the car back by may 1st for a memorial cruise for one of my friends from the local mustang club that passed a few months back, looking at 50 cars + so i better start working on this thing.

so wait, your alternator died, and you bought a new one and a new battery. You did nothing else to the car ? And it won't start or turn over ? 99 times out of a hundred I would guess it's something to do with what you actually did. Before I started buying PCM's and buying warranties I'd at least retrace my steps and double check everything I did. That won't cost you anything at least. But it's odd that after a new battery and alternator your car won't start. I replaced my alt and battery and didn't have that problem. So look at what and how you did it first maybe ?

06slow6

Reaction score
so wait, your alternator died, and you bought a new one and a new battery. You did nothing else to the car ? And it won't start or turn over ? 99 times out of a hundred I would guess it's something to do with what you actually did. Before I started buying PCM's and buying warranties I'd at least retrace my steps and double check everything I did. That won't cost you anything at least. But it's odd that after a new battery and alternator your car won't start. I replaced my alt and battery and didn't have that problem. So look at what and how you did it first maybe ?
well one day while i was in class my dad decided to move the car from the drive way and repeatedly jumped it till it started, i checked, and rechecked every connection that would alter the starting method, alts getting power, the battery isnt new but it does hold a charge and it reads 12.4 volts. i need to renew my warranty anyway lol, but thanks for the insight and suggestions :beer:

Back