Transmission / Clutch install costs, BMR K-Members, and speed-shop fees gone wild!

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
Brown Santa Claus is on his way...

Long story...where to start?

You guys know I like to do all my own work.

With that said, I have (two times in the past) paid someone to to do work on my car simply because I did not have the time (due to work) or did now want to lie on my back and have my neck hurt all week (I'm in my early forties now)...

So the first time I had work done, it was suspension work. I did not want to mess with springs, and I wanted my front control-arm re-location kit and rear lower control arm relocation brackets (drop brackets) welded in (and did not yet own a welder). So...I paid to have it done "professionally". Well - they got everything in, but the suspension settings were all screwed up, the panhard bar was installed backwards, nothing was torqued to spec - in short, they did a hack job - and I got my car back with 17 additional miles on it (all the mechanics at the shop "test" drove it when it was done).

The second time was when I had my (current) McLeod RST installed. I simply did not have the time nor motivation to lie on my back with the transmission dangling over my head.

So...I had another local (different) speed-shop do it for me. I know the mechanic and respect him a lot. He *probably* did a good job, but I have had lots of trouble with the clutch. McLeod blames the installer, I blame using as RST with a stock flywheel (overlap / mismatch between OEM flywheel and inner clutch disc can cause binding).

Where the issue is with the guy I like is this: the estimate was $600. When they finished, they charged me $900 due to difficulty getting the tranny in and out with the Steeda front control arm relocation kit installed.

Anyway, I have Skwerls T56 MagnumXL ready to install. So...I called the shop I like to get some estimates yesterday, because - again - I'm not feeling motivated to lie on my back. Figuring I'd be pro-active and save some labor money in exchange for some cool new parts, I figured I would "invest" in a new BMR K-member, which will eliminate that front control arm re-location kit clearance issue (and save me ~$300 in labor at the same time) as well as lighten the front of my car. Double winner.

Of course I called Kelly Aiken at BMR yesterday and we spoke at length about whether to go with stock engine mount height or 1/2" lower (I went 1/2" lower per his recommendation) and added their "Z" brace as well as radiator support (swaybar compatible - I like handling!). I had to split the order between American Muscle and BMR (AM was out of rad supports). By the way, the rad support is an all-new design thanks to Gerald (AutoXRacer) breaking his, LOL.

Then I got the estimate from my local speedshop and the mechanic I like: $2,481.04 if I have them install the K-Member
$1931.08 if I did not put in a new K-member and let them fight with the Steeda front control arm LCA kit.

Uhhhhhhhhh...

grumpy-cat-says-no.jpg

I don't know what planet those guys are on if they think it takes a gazillion hours and over two grand worth of labor to remove and re-install a clutch and bolt-in a K-Member. The tranny swap itself should be no additional labor since it comes out anyway. They don't even have a remote shifter to mess with on the new T56.

Anyway, that means that I will be doing the install myself.

The good news is that my next-door neighbor works at a body shop and he is going to try to get me a rack to use next weekend to do the install.

If I was going to drop $2481 I would buy a lift for my own garage! They are on Craigslist all the time in the $2500-$3000 range.

So...stand-by for more boxes from Brown Santa Claus and I'll keep you updated with a full install thread.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Holy fuck, I was quoted $400 for my TR-6060 swap!

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I think that was their "We don't want your business" price. Fuck, I'll drive up and install it for that much. On my back in your driveway.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
It took me and my mechanic buddy MAYBE three hours to install my RXT and TR6060. That was with the car on jack stands and no tranny jack. We muscled that bitch in there.

Shops are always crazy expensive. A few of the local ones here were gonna charge me over a grand just to pull my motor.

I say screw em, I do all the work on my car these days.

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
My lift was $1800 brand new. You can get a nice lift for under 2k brand new.

Yah, paying for stuff sucks. I went through the same thing. I do all my own work besides gears. I paid a shop to fix a fuel system issue once, landed up being 4x the quote, they didn't fix it, and car came back with missing parts/loose bolts/dangling wires/etc. Good shops are rare.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Exactly my thoughts. Local shop has gotten too proud. Either that, or their new shop manager is an idiot. They be on crack. Crack is wack.

You won't have any trouble. The biggest issue will be getting the 3650 out. The two options I know of are clocking it so the ears clear or lowering the k member. Once it's out the rest is just turning bolts.

My experience is with a 6060, I think the Magnum is even easier because of the bellhousing.

Here's a link to my 3650 to 6060 project. It's easy.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38606&highlight=6060

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The advantage with the Magnum is that you bolt the bell housing in separately so you're not trying to reach around the transmission to get the bolts in. Easy access.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the labor rates are around you, but that sounds like 2-3 DAYS of labor. That's horse crap.

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
Honestly that is insane, I wouldn't pay anyone regardless of your age lol.. Me and my dad swapped my auto to a 3650(skwerl's old one) on jackstands in iur garage.. I got pissed off at times and wanted to pay someone but shops wanted 600-1000$... I say save the damn money and deal with a few days of pains

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
DIY FTW! Half done, gentlemen. Overprices tooners can kiss my backside.

Autopsy on McLeod RST to follow soon.

photo3-vi.jpg

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Looks like a 3650 on the floor. I have one of those in the corner of my shop as well. Makes a nice door stop. :roflmao:

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
I had my clutch swapped by a shop because it was new years eve and I didn't want to spend my day on my back in the snow. I brought my own clutch. the shop charges a flat rate of $300 to swap a clutch. I was in and out in just over two hours. that was an exedy with a new slave and everything.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
DIY FTW! Half done, gentlemen. Overprices tooners can kiss my backside.

Autopsy on McLeod RST to follow soon.

Great job. So did you have to lower your K-member to get the tranny out? Did you have to tilt the engine back or anything? How tough of a time did you have with it?

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back