wheel offset question

SC boss

watch this!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, I once again need your help. Im wanting to order my Nitto drag radials 305/35/20 and I called to find out the offset of my wheels and the guy told me +40. The problem with that is that number means nothing to me because I dont know what I need to have for proper clearance. He told me that they would not guarantee that the tire would clear on my car? What do you guys think? 10.5" rim if you need to know. Thanks for any help

Shawn

XtremeStang

forum member
Reaction score
Alright guys, I once again need your help. Im wanting to order my Nitto drag radials 305/35/20 and I called to find out the offset of my wheels and the guy told me +40. The problem with that is that number means nothing to me because I dont know what I need to have for proper clearance. He told me that they would not guarantee that the tire would clear on my car? What do you guys think? 10.5" rim if you need to know. Thanks for any help

Shawn
I have Razors with 40mm offset = 7.5 BS, nittos 305x35x20 then sent rims out to Weldcraft Brothers had them widen from 9" to 10.5 = 9" BS. No issues with clearence, run FRPP springs.
CIMG2831.jpg

CIMG2856.jpg

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Our wheels can only come forward from the mounting point about 2.75" to 3.00", any further and they would stick out. That means for a 10.5 wide rim, you would want the backspacing around 7.5 to 8 inches.

My 18X10's have +45mm offset for example. 0 offest would mean the wheel is divided exactly in half at 5" backspacing. +45 MM puts the backspacing roughly at 7.0" backspacing. Get it?

So, if you are looking at a 10.5 wide rim, I would say +50mm is what you would want absolute minimum, probably a little more.

Last edited:

SC boss

watch this!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ok Paul help me here again... If extremestang started off with a offset of 40 then added to his backspaceing when he widened his wheels he now has an offset in the 50's? Is this correct?

Thanks guys
Shawn

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
OK, so here is my arts and crafts project for the day.

First lets look at a wheel with +0 offset. Remember offset is different from back spacing. Using the example below, a 10 inch wide rim with 5 inches of backspacing has +0 offset. A 14 wide rim with 7 inches of backspacing would also have +0 offset:

Wheeloffset1.jpg

Now for a wheel that would be correct for our cars, a 10 wide would need about +45mm offset. Here is what that looks like below. Its (+) because the wheel is being moved to the inside of the car:

Wheeloffset2.jpg

And just for an example, the same wheel with a (-) offset would look like this, with the wheel being pushed to the outside. This is for the people that want that "deep dish" look. Trouble is, unless you have a narrowed rearend, they will stick out way past the fenderwell.

Wheeloffset3.jpg

Now the question at hand is, how much offset do you need in order for the 10.5 to fit. Well, I can't answer that here, you need to take off one of the rear wheels and measure how much space you have. You may have rear coil overs which will decrease the amount of space available. Make sure to also account for the 20 inch diameter, that you are measuring in the right space.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind, thats just the wheel. If you put a DR or a slick on that wheel, and the sidewall comes out another half inch from the rim, now your looking at a full inch past the fenderwell.

SC boss

watch this!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok, this thread helps me also but my question is how will this wheel be on my car. sorry to hijack your thread shawn but i think were on the same wave length.
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...4294923107+4294923106+401420+115&autoview=sku

No sweat Nick, I think Paul has me headed in the right direction now.

And thanks for the drawing Paul, its nice that you have so much free time to really get into our discussions! lol Just messn, I hope your healing well. I am gonna pm you also about some parts and pieces!

Thanks for the help
Shawn

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back