2013 GT tire and Wheel fitment questions and recommendations

yodadeciple

Reaction score
I need some help from the forums trying to figure out why there is so much gap in my rear tires/wheel well compared to the fronts, and how to get a better wheel/tire setup to correct some of that. Apologies for post being wordy, but tried to include as much info as I could to get some better feedback.

I usually use this for street setup, not much track use, but would eventually like to drag race "officially"

Current setup:
Wheels: Front Niche Targa 20x8.5 front +35 offset / Rear Niche Targa 20x10 +40 offset
Tires: bridgestone potenza s-04 pole position Front 255/35/20 Rear 285/30/20
Suspension mods: Roush All in One Suspension kit
https://www.brenspeed.com/421156.html (Front Coil Springs, Rear Coil Springs, Front Struts, Rear Shocks, Front Stabilizer Bar and Hardware Kit, Rear Stabilizer Bar and Hardware Kit
Rear Jounce Bumpers, lowers all around by 1 inch)

I don't have exact measurements, but there is about a 3.5 to 4 finger gap between the top of the rear tire and the body panel/wheel well (not sure on correct terminology), compared to about a 2 finger gap in the front.

Granted, I understand the fronts are taller, however the tire comparisons I've looked at on https://tiresize.com/calculator don't seem to address the issue. How do I find wheel/tire combos that will be a better fit in this scenario?

Wheels and tires I'm looking at replacing current setup with:
Tires: Pretty set on Michelin Pilot Sport 4s Sizes for rear either 305/30/19's or 305/35/20, since that would have a taller profile in rear, but not sure if that's the best option
Wheels: Something like a 19x11 Shelby CS5 wheels if going to a 19" , or a 20x11 Shelby CS14 if I stay with 20" wheels

NOTE: CS14 wheels are +55 offset I believe, and the CS5 wheels are +50 offset

side shot.jpg

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
IIRC, these cars have a factory rake with the rear being higher then the front, there is only about a 1/4 delta in the height of your tires, so that's less than a finger width.

if you are just looking to fill the rear gap, get a taller tire w/ larger sidewall.

a 305/35/20 is about 1.5" taller than you current tire and will certainly close up that gap

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Keeping your existing wheels you could swap to a 285/35/20 rear tire which is 1.1" taller than your 285/30/20.
Or 275/40/20 which is almost 2" taller, at 28.6"-28.7" tall.
Either way, half the extra height translates to extra ground clearance and that much more rubber all around.

If you're willing to swap out to a 20x11, do a 305/35/20 like Dave said above, and that will fill up the wheel well nicely

yodadeciple

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like my research was close to your suggestions. What throws a wrench in my plans (no pun intended) is the fact Michelin doesn't make a 305/35/19 tire in the 4s's and I don't really want the Cup 2's because I'm scared to death of getting caught in the rain here in Michigan, as rain can come out of nowhere.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back