How to raise the front end 1/8 inch for tire clearance

retirednow

Reaction score
I have track pack 19x 9.5 wheels with some 265-40-19 tires I want to put on my 07 Shelby GT, already lowered with the Ford Racing suspension kit. The front clearance both side to side and into the fender liner is really tight, I can put on a spacer for sideways clearance from the strut but.....can I make a spacer that sits on top of the strut mount between the "shock" tower and the strut mount?

JC SSP

Reaction score
Consider rubber or polyurethane spacer that goes at the base of the coil spring.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i run the same size tire on a 19x9.5 and im lowered more than you are. No rubbing.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I looked into this some years back, since I feel like the front-end of my '13 sits a little too low.
I forget where exactly I got this pic from, but somebody shared it with me, it's supposed to be a strut spacer meant for the top of the strut, between the top of the strut mount and the bottom of the strut tower.
I never did make any of these for myself, but in theory it should work.

strut_spacer.jpg

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I ran 275/19 tires on my 2014 GT without rubbing. Had the springs from my 2009 Bullitt up front. I think those were the same (or similar) as the Ford Racing springs.

MrBhp

Reaction score
i run the same size tire on a 19x9.5 and im lowered more than you are. No rubbing.
Are you running much negative camber? It can make a difference in front tire clearance. My car is pretty well slammed. I'm running larger tires. No rubbing. But I have -2.75 camber. Oh yeah, I also have coil overs so I have more room on the inside as well.

OP, you can get some rubber sleeves that slip over each end of the spring. You may already have them. If not, you could put some of those on and get and 1/8". If you can't find any, get some rubber hose and slip on each end of the spring where it sits on its cradle. Might work.

JC SSP

Reaction score
I have used those in the past… don’t like metal and metal contact on the strut seat so used coil spring isolators but they don’t relay raise it much. If they were thicker then they would raise it a bit.

If you zoom in you can see the blue isolators I used in my old 06’ GT ragtop.

1695520472404.jpeg

MrBhp

Reaction score
Hell. I spelled "HOSE" and it turned it into "THOSE". Slide some HOSE on the end of the spring, like the isolators only heavier wall. The hose would probably flatten out after a short while.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I run the 2013 cobrajet springs and im at factory specs on the alignment.

retirednow

Reaction score
Well thanks guys!! I mounted one front and ran it lock to lock and tried to bounce it (springs too stiff for me to bounce the car) and felt on top of the tire to the fender liner and I have, I believe, sufficient clearance all the way around and on top and will not have to space anything out or up. Next thing will be to mount all, road test and then worry about the TPMS. Maybe if I am unsuccessful a little piece of black electrical tape will mask the light. Again thanks. Oh BTW I used the chrome 5 spoke upside down and kiltered up in back to snug it in the spare tire well and closeted the styrofoam box "spare".

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back