My Roll Bar Is In!

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I know I posted this elsewhere while this forum was down, but I wanted to include it here too, at my "home" site! :beer:

Last Thursday, I picked up my car after having the new roll bar installed. It is a 6-point chromoly roll bar, with removable swingouts on both doors and a Crow 5-point harness. I think it came out really nice. And on the street -- with the door bars off -- you hardly even know it is back there.

Here are some pics, in the track configuration.

DSC00027.JPG

DSC00030.JPG

DSC00032.JPG

DSC00035.JPG

DSC00036.JPG

DSC00037.JPG

DSC00038.JPG

DSC00039.JPG

DSC00041.JPG

DSC00043.JPG

DSC00044.JPG

DSC00045.JPG

And here are some pics of it in "street mode" (i.e., no door bars, and harness tucked in the back).

DSC00011.JPG

DSC00013.JPG

DSC00017.JPG

DSC00021.JPG

DSC00023.JPG

DSC00024.JPG

DSC00026.JPG

don_w

Reaction score
And I already "modified" it too... haha. Had to do a little trimming on the padding on the door bar. Shit... I can't leave anything alone.

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looks great. Is it welded in or bolted? So, 6's in the 1/8 and 10's in the ¼ with a new tranny? Make sure we get to see a vid of that!

Last edited:

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
And I already "modified" it too... haha. Had to do a little trimming on the padding on the door bar. Shit... I can't leave anything alone.

ROFLMAO, still need to finish mine, bought the paint/supplies today. The "FrankenStella" thread should be along shortly. I really wanted to hit the 12s before the KB went on though. Oops, did I spill my secret?:bigbeer:

don_w

Reaction score
Very clean Don! Now uncork that biatch!!:beer:
New torque conveter first. After that, a new fuel system. Only then will I even consider going over 12psi.

Looks great. Is it welded in or bolted? So, 6's in the 1/8 and 10's in the ¼ with a new tranny? Make sure we get to see a vid of that!
It's all welded in.

So far the trans is holding up, but the TC is slipping. I told Adam today to order me a PI triple, and we'll hopefully get it installed in July sometime. Once it's in, we'll see how it runs.

And you damn well know that we'll have vids. :thumb:

F00Mustang

Goes from a dig
Reaction score
That look great. Are those pictures taken with the seat all the way back?
Also, it looks like the cross bar behind your head is set back a little from the main hoop, is it, or could it just be the pictures?

don_w

Reaction score
That look great. Are those pictures taken with the seat all the way back?
Also, it looks like the cross bar behind your head is set back a little from the main hoop, is it, or could it just be the pictures?
Yes, driver's seat is all the way back. That's my normal seat position when I drive. Good eye on the cross bar... it has a slight curve to it and sets 1"-2" aft of the main hoop.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
how much did it cost? was it a custom job or an off the shelf unit?

don_w

Reaction score
It was custom built. The price breakdown was:

Mild steel 6-pt, with one swing out = $1250
Upgrade to chromoly = $300
Add passenger side swingout = $200
SFI 5-Pt harness and padding = $160
Total = $1910

Being able to pass tech for a 10-sec car = Priceless

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It was custom built. The price breakdown was:

Mild steel 6-pt, with one swing out = $1250
Upgrade to chromoly = $300
Add passenger side swingout = $200
SFI 5-Pt harness and padding = $160
Total = $1910

Being able to pass tech for a 10-sec car = Priceless

looks great, congrats.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looks great! Glad you got the car back, and I for one can't wait to see the vids after you turn the boost up over 12psi.

don_w

Reaction score
Looks great! Glad you got the car back, and I for one can't wait to see the vids after you turn the boost up over 12psi.
That's gonna be a while. My fun money has been depleted recently, and I still need a new torque converter. Once that's done, then I need a better fuel system before I go over 12psi. For the time being, my goal is to get into the 6s on 12psi.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean about depleteing the fun money. Larry H and PMP are getting all mine lately, but come FEB 08 I plan on cashing in on the fun part of that fun money.

169stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looks great Don. I knew it wouldn't take long. Let me ask you now that you have it in....Is it still a street car? That seemed to be the thing that quite a few deemed my car non streetable. Don't know why though. Mine isn't in the way of anything.....unless you're wanting to get in the back seat. I've never driven from my back seat though.
Cages cost a bit more on the left coast!!!$1900 wow.

don_w

Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned it's still a street car. I still drive it every day to work, and it feels, looks, handles and drives no differently than it did a few weeks ago.

And I know I could have done it for $1250... but the upgrades were worth it to me.

169stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned it's still a street car. I still drive it every day to work, and it feels, looks, handles and drives no differently than it did a few weeks ago.

And I know I could have done it for $1250... but the upgrades were worth it to me.
I agree. There were just naysayers when I had mine put in. I haven't had any issues with it!
I paid $1200 for the same thing you got-6pt, chromoly, swingouts. I assume they get more for labor out that way. Not knocking it. I was just surprized at the difference in pricing.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree, just because a car has a roll cage doesn't mean it isn't still a street car, I have a few friends with pre 05 mustangs with roll cages and that is their only means of transportation.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back