S-197 Retro question/opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoushStage2

Reaction score
Well I like them all, but 2013/2014 is my favorite. That is why I bought the one I bought. Don't care for pieces of each of the models, but they are all great looking cars. But it is really hard to beat the originals. Of those 1967/1968 fastbacks are the best!

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Completely agree with this, I wish someone would make a retrofit sheet metal "hip" for our cars.

I totally agree and also wish that our cars would've included a full fastback greenhouse like the 67-68 models.. IMO the S197's would've looked far more complete :shrug:

Bill220

forum member
Reaction score
My uncle had a 65 or 66 fastback in dark green with a 4 speed and black interior. I loved that car. My dad had a 68 coupe, dark green with saddle interior and automatic. I'm very fond of the 65-68 fastbacks.
I had an 87 Fox GT that I ended up hating and swore off Mustangs until the 2005 came out. I bought my '09 Bullitt in November of 2011 with 11,000 mikes on it. The dealer couldn't get rid of it because everyone thought it was a V6 so I got a good deal on it. My wife hated it until her first ride. Now she loves it.
If it's possible to love an inanimate object, I love my car.
The 10-12's don't do it for me but I like the 13-14's but not enough to trade my lowly 3V for one.

46addict

Reaction score
In a way it was just like when the first Mustang came out. GM answered 3 years later with the Camaro.

I was at the drag strip one time and the guys in the tower were commenting on my car over the speakers. They were wondering when a retro El Camino would come out. My answer was about 3 years after a retro Rancharo. GM is always behind the curve IMO.

For pick up trucks I think they've been on par. I remember the SS454 trucks being out in the same time period as first gen Lightnings.

Thunderbirds and Corvettes have also been on par but the birds weren't nearly as successful and went to a different market segment in the 60s. I think it would be more fair to compare a Vette to a GT40 in which case the GT40 was the late bloomer.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I really liked my 2005 Mustang GT, but it felt too big. Drove, stopped, turned, handled, and rode awesome though.

Same engine in a New Edge would be awesome. As luck would have it the Mach 1 makes the same kind of numbers on the dyno.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
For pick up trucks I think they've been on par. I remember the SS454 trucks being out in the same time period as first gen Lightnings.

The 454SS, though, was not the Lightning's "equal." The lightning had some handling parts thrown at it, a little extra power, etc. The 454SS was just a Chevy 1500, with a bone-stock 454 out of the 3/4 & 1 ton trucks thrown into it.

The 351W in the lightning made more hp than the 454 did.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
My uncle had a 65 or 66 fastback in dark green with a 4 speed and black interior. I loved that car. My dad had a 68 coupe, dark green with saddle interior and automatic. I'm very fond of the 65-68 fastbacks.
I had an 87 Fox GT that I ended up hating and swore off Mustangs until the 2005 came out. I bought my '09 Bullitt in November of 2011 with 11,000 mikes on it. The dealer couldn't get rid of it because everyone thought it was a V6 so I got a good deal on it. My wife hated it until her first ride. Now she loves it.
If it's possible to love an inanimate object, I love my car.
The 10-12's don't do it for me but I like the 13-14's but not enough to trade my lowly 3V for one.

Look at it this way.. Everyone who thought your Bullitt was a V6 weren't true Mustang enthusiasts to begin with anyhow.. So in the end, you were destined to become the Bullitt's new owner..

I really liked my 2005 Mustang GT, but it felt too big. Drove, stopped, turned, handled, and rode awesome though.

Same engine in a New Edge would be awesome. As luck would have it the Mach 1 makes the same kind of numbers on the dyno.

How long did you own the 05 ? It took quite awhile before finally getting used to the larger size compared to the 4 Fox body cars I owned before purchasing my first S197 Mustang which was also an 05..

Totally agree my version of the 40th anniversary of the 1968 Bullitt. I even have the correct license plate. The best body style sine the first generation

I couldn't agree more which is exactly my reason as well :waytogo:

FloStang

forum member
Reaction score
The best body style sine the first generation

Thats my take on every year of the S-197 generation. its like they took the best of the 65-71 features and made it moders. In my humble opinion its the best generation all time. i could be a bit bias on the 13-14's though.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How long did you own the 05 ? It took quite awhile before finally getting used to the larger size compared to the 4 Fox body cars I owned before purchasing my first S197 Mustang which was also an 05.

Two full summers driving it pretty much daily. It was a real nice car. Don't get me wrong.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Totally agree my version of the 40th anniversary of the 1968 Bullitt. I even have the correct license plate. The best body style sine the first generation

Holy crap those wheels and tires look great, what setup is that?

edit: found it, 17" new edge spec wheels with 255 rubber... that's why they look so good, no deep dish nastyness that you get with all of the aftermarket bullitt style wheels for the S197.

BigSkyGT

Not your daddy.
Reaction score
I loved my 06 GT. To me it seemed big compared to my 97 GT. I have been fortunate to have had several different Mustangs over the years. I have to say so far the New Edge Mustang is my favorite. I love my 03 GT.

bullitt1011

Reaction score
Holy crap those wheels and tires look great, what setup is that?

edit: found it, 17" new edge spec wheels with 255 rubber... that's why they look so good, no deep dish nastyness that you get with all of the aftermarket bullitt style wheels for the S197.

You are correct 2003 OEM GT Rims. 255 Nitto Invos best part is the backspacing moves the tires right to the edge of the fender lip much nicer look and no spacers

FloStang

forum member
Reaction score
2014 Deep Impact Blue Shelby GT-500 Mustang with Black Shelby Stripes=perfection !!!:clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back