It's 100+ degrees, time to put a blower on!

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Something about Vegas heat, just makes you want to rip your car apart and put a fat centri on the car, so I did! This is my first build thread, so bear with me. I'm really not into doing work and taking pictures at the same time, so all I really have is pictures of the end results.. which I'll have to post at a later date since I didn't bother to upload them yet lol. I do have some technical issues with the build still but I need to use the search function and if I can't resolve my issue after a good search, I'll be seen later in the Tech forum. (stkjock would be so proud! LOL :clap:)

So here's the build:

Procharger D1SC Stage 2 intercooled kit (8 rib kit)
ATI Super Damper (OE Diameter)
ATI Super Damper Procharger pulley
4.00" Procharger pulley
69-5/8" 8 rib belt
50mm Procharger Red Race BOV
44mm SS Wastegate w/7psi spring (ebay special)
JPC Procharger Coolant tank
S&H Walbro 405 DIY kit w/wiring upgrade kit & PPRV delete
S&H hat to rail fuel line upgrade kit w/10 micron SS Fore filter
702GT 3/8" Manifold crossover fuel line upgrade

Demod:
Stock Intake mani > FRPP Intake mani
Stock Cams > Comp Cams 127020's
FRPP 3.73 > FRPP 4.10

First, vent. I gotta bitch about Procharger's piping and lack of taking care of business. WTF were they thinking on this one? On DS & PS where the piping goes down and up from the IC they put couplers dead center. Awesome accessability and clearance there. A straight piece and couplers with 90's top/bottom would have been more pieces but far easier to install, maintain, and less time consuming. I dread having to take those pipes out in the future. They will be welded and cut the next time around. The clearance issues with the belt are to be expected on a dedicated drive system, but damn. It was bad enough having to bend the crap out of the A/C lines to clear the piping, but then they sit 1/8-1/4" from the belt lol. And the power steering lines are caught between all that! The belt actually shaved the loom off the power steering line at some point, had to tripple strap that fatboy down. Still only tops 1/8" clearance. Fuckin seriously, add $200 to the price of the fuckin kit and send some custom A/C and Power Steering lines and re-route that shit, or give it enough slack to make decent clearance! That's really the only shit that chaps my ass about this kit though... beside the excessively loud bus fan they use for their custom shroud. Truely, that fan is 3x's louder than the blower itself. I'm thinking custom mechanical flex-fan could be in my future, it can have the few extra ponies it'd cost to drag it on the motor, or at least put straight cut gears in the blowers again so the blower can over-power the fan! LOL

Okay, /end rant.

Second. Since I decided I was going to fall to the dark side and go FI, I had to relieve the engine of a few parts. I wanted torque, didn't care so much about hp, you figure with FI the ponies will be there regardless. Torque on the other hand can be harder to come by with a centri blower. So I knew Procharger was a must, and a D1 would give me room to grow. After doing some reading on wastegated centri's, I decided I'd step the 4.25" pulley that was already on the blower down to a 4.00" pulley and throw a wastegate on. This way I could have my torque and not let it eat my stock internals too! But adding boost down low wouldn't be enough. I needed a long runner intake back on the car. I had been running the FRPP mani with Comp 127020's. Prior to the the FRPP & LT's the comp cams spun 330whp@6250/325wtq@3800. I later added the FRPP and Pypes LT's and my numbers shifted to 360whp@6600/320wtq@4900. After having taken the FRPP mani apart and checking out the guts, I saw why that manifold flows so well but doesn't provide great torque lol. The runners are extremely short and direct, with a huge air chamber capacity. It can gulp volumes of air, but doesn't promote velocity. It did extremely well for me N/A and on spray, most people don't give it enough credit. It just became a bummer for me to need to rap the motor to 5k before I could have any fun lol. The stock mani went back on as well as stock cams. The thumpr's were great cams to me. The car got shit tons of attention with those cams and they hurt some feelings on the street. Alot of hurt feelings amongst Prius owners, let me tell you, rolling up to the light next to those toyota's got me some rolled up windows and "murderer" whispers.

Third. The Procharger install. The head unit and bracket are pretty straight forward. The thing is heavy and 2 people definately make it an easy job. Figuring out the tensioner was much easier than I thought it would be. The intercooler mounting requires you to either remove or shave the 2 inside bolts of the metal bumper. It's a very clean fit, but in the future I intend to fab an air box for the intercooler. A good portion of it sits behind the metal bumper. While I'm sure it gets plenty of air, more is better lol. As I said before, the pipe layout for this kit wasn't pleasant for me. I busted my plastic clip that held my A/C lines together (not intentional, the lines slipped and flipped around as I was trying to mangle them to let the piping clear. Lots of 1/4" extentions and swivels for those couplers. Once I had all the piping in place I dry fit for where I could put the big red bov and wastegate. Both are monsterous in size. I was worried about the weight of them hanging off the piping. But the steel piping and couplings are actually pretty rigid. I ended up welding the bov where the existing proflow bypass valve would mount. The waste gate I mounted just after the bov and 80 degrees to be on the horizontal and more "in flow" with the air as it turns into the 90 degree fitting. Plus both the BOV and WG are so fat they wouldn't fit next to each other on the vertical anyway. I also welded a 1/8" NPT female bung onto the fitting before the BOV for a pressure source for the wastegate. I had considered welding this bung closer to the blower outlet, but after being anally raped by the piping nightmare of the first run down, I decided that pipe would never come out again unless absolutely required, and I didn't want to weld in the engine bay.

Jeremy had recommend siliconeintakes.com in one of his posts as a source for couplers and boost lines. Very awesome site, even better products! I got 10' of 6mm boost/vac line and a bunch of 1/8" NPT x 6mm barb fittings from them. Awesome line. That stuff is beefy, no way it will collapse. It bends tight and still keeps its diameter and doesn't kink. That said, I upped all my boost/vac fittings to 6mm (pretty close to 1/4") as many turbo guys have recommended this size for optimal BOV/WG reaction time. I'm sure I would have been fine running the standard stuff that came with the blower, but I upgraded anyway. I also got a NXS MBC off ebay. It's a home made design but it's stout. Unfortunately I haven't needed to use it so I can't comment on it's effectiveness.

Finally, the dyno. After firing up the car to make sure everything worked, it was off to see if she had a torque monster in her or not. It was 100* while we were tuning the car, so I didn't have any high expectations. Alot of waiting between passes. The car ended up making ~420whp/440wtq and saw as high as 9.5psi. We were having trouble with the cam phasers, which is something I will do a search on here for answers as well as seek input from the forum. At around 4200rpm the tune calls for the phasers to give 2.5* cam angle transitioning out to 11* by 6k/rpm. But she was pulling spark like crazy due to knock (didn't have much spark in her for the base pull) so we checked the datalog and saw the phasers were at 0* (which is called for) all the way to about 4200rpm, then they shoot straight to 17* of cam angle and sit there. We went through sensor connections, no CEL's, and the tune itself trying to figure why the phasers were swinging full tilt (I'm still using the Comp phaser limiters from running the thumpr's, so 20* is all it will give by default). To no avail. Everything was plugged in where it should be, nothing loose, no CEL's. Tuner tried having them run on just Load by itself and then torque table, no change. Finally he zero'd out the cam tables for WOT and the car made a clean pass. Unfortunately the power falls off after 5250 rpm, and the he let it sit at 15* of spark while I figure out why my phasers are fucking off. The other thing we noticed was the Wastegate. My spring is supposedly 7psi. And the wastegate does open and dumps boost at about 7psi. But when we ran the motor out to 6k/rpm I was hitting 9.5psi. A 44mm wastegate should be more than enough to dump a D1SC 4.00" pulley. I see F1 guys running 44mm wastegates with a 24psi pulley knocking it down to 16psi. Ebay spring too tight still? There's a sleeve that goes inside the bottom port and seats up to the valve. Was I supposed to remove that? Or is that what seals the WG and it's supposed to be there? Directions never said to remove it, and if you do I think the WG would leak boost by all the time, but I'm not sure? Back to the cam phaser issue. I've also noticed during normal driving the car feels sluggish, like it takes way too much pedal to accelerate normally. On the freeway it feels like the car doesn't want to cruise higher than 65. My right foot remembers how much pedal it used to take to do 80 with 4.10's. My right foot is telling me I should be doing 100mph with as much pedal as I'm giving it with 3.73's. I damn near have to go to 4th gear just to accelerate from cruising speed on the freeway. Is this phaser related? Down on power? I've been watching my right bank cam angle and actual cam angle on the livewire. Off the pedal the cams state 0* roughly, the readout fluctuates around that. As soon as I go from a stop, they swing 17* and fluctuate around there. (+/- 2 or so) I also monitor load. So in 4th gear I slowly roll into the pedal and bring the load up .30, .40, .50, .60 and the cam angle doesn't change, it stays around 17*. I would think the cams would advance back towards 0* or so for some low end grunt. By about .60 load the pedal is deep enough the BOV is starting to close and the car wants to boost, which the cams go 0* as commanded anyway and we're off to the races.

Other than that the car runs fine, no backfires or hickups. Just a slouch under normal driving, put your foot on it and she spews 400ft/lbs@3k/rpm.

I would like to say thanks to S&H, JPC, and especially Steve@Tasca. These guys represent top notch products and customer service. Also BruceH and 05stroker. I harrassed these guys with Procharger questions enough that I should have been able to build a head unit from scratch! Well, maybe exhagerating a little, but they know their shit and their information helped me make my build choices. Hopefully they'll help some more down the road.

Feel free to question, comment, and help troubleshoot! Dyno graph coming soon! (also datalogs/dyno run files available for those who want to help troubleshoot.)

Here's a few pics:

20140604_022357_zps32ced7b3.jpg

20140604_041356_zps1402d419.jpg

20140605_204127_LLS_zpsa586af7b.jpg

20140607_181119_zps51252015.jpg

Last edited:

Bad06stang

forum member
Reaction score
nice build man with impressive numbers! What dyno did you use and who tuned your car here in town?

Ingwe

Sun, Sea, Sand and Camels
Reaction score
Nice build. Looking forward to the updates. Almost exactly the same as what i'm planning for the same reasons ie. primarily the heat (with a relocated intake to draw air from beneath the headlight like 05stroker rather than the heatsoaked area at the back of the headers). But i've also decided on the D1 as it will give me room to grow and will reach peak torque earlier in the rpms with a wastegate like you. Subbed for the pics. I can imagine we see pretty similar summer temps here in Dubai as you do over there in Vegas (130*).

Couple questions for you. What made you swap back from the 4.10s to the 3.73s? I was planning on using the FRPP mani and FRPP TB and then using a wastegate to shift the torque curve and 4.10s to compensate for a loss of torque down low. Could be wrong but I think this was the route Marc_s took with great success. I can understand swapping back to stock cams but surely the FRPP manifold would help the blower breathe?

Cheers and good luck.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
wow darren, you are looking alot more feminine then your last videos, careful with that ring and those nails, may scratch your paint. may wanna wear another pair of socks on your hands

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
He drives his car with a pair of sock puppets on his hands to avoid damaging the finish on the wheel.

Wait who am I kidding. He doesn't drive that car.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
nice build man with impressive numbers! What dyno did you use and who tuned your car here in town?

Thanks man!

Carl Chastain at Dynojet Research does all my tuning. And of course was done on a Dynojet ;)

Nice build. Looking forward to the updates. Almost exactly the same as what i'm planning for the same reasons ie. primarily the heat (with a relocated intake to draw air from beneath the headlight like 05stroker rather than the heatsoaked area at the back of the headers). But i've also decided on the D1 as it will give me room to grow and will reach peak torque earlier in the rpms with a wastegate like you. Subbed for the pics. I can imagine we see pretty similar summer temps here in Dubai as you do over there in Vegas (130*).

Couple questions for you. What made you swap back from the 4.10s to the 3.73s? I was planning on using the FRPP mani and FRPP TB and then using a wastegate to shift the torque curve and 4.10s to compensate for a loss of torque down low. Could be wrong but I think this was the route Marc_s took with great success. I can understand swapping back to stock cams but surely the FRPP manifold would help the blower breathe?

Cheers and good luck.

Without a doubt the FRPP would extend the power range to the right and bump peak horsepower. It would also move where torque comes in to the right. It really was a tough decision. To make up for the FRPP's torque loss you've got to bring boost in sooner which means running even smaller pulleys or over-driving the crank pulley. I didn't want to try to bleed 20psi on a 7psi spring via WG just to see 7psi sooner. Also you start to do battle with higher IAT's running the smaller pulleys. Didn't make sense for my application when my goal was ~450whp/450wtq. The car makes 300ft/lbs by 2k/rpm, 400ft/lbs by 3k/rpm. It's a not so subtle swift kick in the ass lol, it feels so nice. Remember I used to make 320ft/lbs by 5,000rpm! Big change for me.

Drawing air from the rear engine bay didn't bother me. Sure it heat soaks standing still, so does the IC. As soon as you're rolling the air temps drop in the engine bay, and the IC does the rest. I see 110 IAT's with the A/C running driving 25-35mph when it's 103* ambient. Sitting at a light she climbs to 115-120*. The highest IAT's I've seen so far were on the dyno. It was 100* ambient and 115* IAT. A back to back pull yielded 127* IAT. The highest was 137* IAT. Haven't seen anything close to that on the street yet.

As far as gear choice, even BruceH said I should stay 4.10. But having driven on 4.10's for the past 5 years I was tired of the 3,000rpm freeway cruise. And with the big red race valve that blow dryer would get old real fast! My priorities changed, I wasn't concerned with making it as fast as it could possibly be, but as much fun as it could be! I should run 4.10's, it would bring more torque in down low, just doesn't give me the cruise I want. Personal choice.

nerf_zpsed592bf6.jpg

One day, you will cease your life fail, and accidently let the tires touch pavement. :kma::cheers:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I found pretty much the same with my D1SC iat wise. The rear mounting of the cai had no appreciable difference because the air goes through an intercooler.

A friend of mine contacted Procharger about the air intake location. They told him that they did fab up one that was mounted low in the bumper area. The result was a 5* drop in iat. Not enough to justify the cost of full scale production.

Like you said the Procharger doesn't come in slowly. The 4.1 drive ratio builds boost fairly quick, quicker than my Paxton at 3.6 did. I'd say the power felt like it came on about half way between where it did with the Paxton and Whipple. It's a nice powerband imo.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I found pretty much the same with my D1SC iat wise. The rear mounting of the cai had no appreciable difference because the air goes through an intercooler.

A friend of mine contacted Procharger about the air intake location. They told him that they did fab up one that was mounted low in the bumper area. The result was a 5* drop in iat. Not enough to justify the cost of full scale production.

Like you said the Procharger doesn't come in slowly. The 4.1 drive ratio builds boost fairly quick, quicker than my Paxton at 3.6 did. I'd say the power felt like it came on about half way between where it did with the Paxton and Whipple. It's a nice powerband imo.

Yes but unfortunately it feels like I'm towing Darren's car behind me on the freeway. If I floor it Darren's car falls off the trailer, but if I just give it what it should need for passing it's like the trailer has a flat and it won't let me go! :roflmao:

TotoGT06

forum member
Reaction score
You should upgrade those worm gears to T bolt clamps to have better insurance on no boost leaks or couplers popping off

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
You should upgrade those worm gears to T bolt clamps to have better insurance on no boost leaks or couplers popping off

I intend to do that in the near future. I didn't see it as a priority since I only intended to run just enough boost to get to 450/450. (7-9psi) Not that a coupler couldn't leak or pop off at that boost level, just didn't feel it was as likely. Havent had an issue yet. I also want to change the piping connections on both DS/PS risers as having the couplers and clamps where I can't access them conveniently is very irritating. If those pop off or leak I'm looking at hours of work instead of minutes. The procharger piping has flared connections where they join, so it gives the clamps something to back up to if a connection should slip a little. It's not an absolute, but better than a flat connection.

Thanks for the heads up! ;)

TotoGT06

forum member
Reaction score
I plan on buying a 4.00 pulley after this posting since I have a precision turbo 46mm waste and can control boost too. Did you hook your wastegate hose to the same location for the BOV? Also what injectors did you use?

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I went with Siemens Deka 60's so I could grow down the road. Also the BOV draws its vacuum/boost from a vacuum block attatched to the PCV port on the intake manifold. I also draw boost reference from this block. The WG however only needs to see boost. So I welded a bung to the boost piping before the WG & BOV and run a dedicated line to the WG. The WG is still in debate as I'm seeing more boost than the spring is rated for even though the WG is opening. Possibly too tight of a spring, unlikely the WG is too small. It's details compared to my VCT issue atm.

TotoGT06

forum member
Reaction score
Yea im going to have to see what is going to happen with mine since Precision says to use the spring there must be a hose hooked up (probably to the vacuum block). What did the data log show for the fuel? Were the 60s excessive for the current power?

LAStang1234

----------DSL----------
Reaction score
Great setup! Now it's time to man up and drill some holes in that hood for those hood pins....and get a smaller pulley! Lol

Last edited:

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Yea im going to have to see what is going to happen with mine since Precision says to use the spring there must be a hose hooked up (probably to the vacuum block). What did the data log show for the fuel? Were the 60s excessive for the current power?

The 60's aren't working very hard currently lol. Take them to 550-600 and they'll start doing some work! In every WG diagram I've seen they want a dedicated boost line either in the piping or blower discharge. I've seen a few pulling from the manifold but again, they urge you not to share the port you put your WG on with any other devices. I decided it wasn't worth the headache over figuring if I could or couldn't do this or that. I just gave it what it wanted.

Great setup! Now it's time to man up and drill some holes in that hood for those hood pins....and get a smaller pulley! Lol

LOL holes have been drilled in that hood since the day I installed those hood pins. I had to remove the pins to remove my radiator cover while I was doing the install. Hadn't put them back on in that night picture. You'll note they are there in the daytime picture. Trust me, the only thing I'm scared to put a hole in is my block! Speaking of which, a smaller pulley isn't going to help me avoid that lol. The WG isn't even dumping the boost it's supposed to at the moment. I'm just glad it's still under 10psi with that pulley! When I get the WG issue under control, I'll figure if I can afford to step the pulley down again or not. Before then, I still have the VCT issue to contend with.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back