Howard’s rattler cams not being long enough

Hyns

Reaction score
I’m installing some Howard’s rattler cams in my 2008 mustang GT, one thing I came across that’s an issue is after you set your cam get the phaser bolt in and cam caps tightened. You learn that the Howard’s cams are 1/3 of an inch shorter than the stock ones. This causes the phaser to want to pull in the timing chain farther than it should. I have the cam lined up properly on the rollers and as far over as I can. Yet I only clear maybe 2/10s of an inch from the timing chain to the firewall of the engine. Wondering if anyone else has done this instal with Howard’s cams and what they did to counter this issue or if it’s going to be a closer fit. Keep in mind this is with out torquing the cam phaser bolt, witch if anything will pull it closer.

BC32A26F-B2E7-4958-8503-EB045FD04FDC.jpeg

Dallas281

Reaction score
Wtf thats weird. I second FrebB's idea, imo call the seller(if bought from a business) and see if it was manufactered correctly

07 Boss

Reaction score
Have you installed both cams??? I have a feeling you have it on the wrong side. They are side specific.

Hyns

Reaction score
Have you installed both cams??? I have a feeling you have it on the wrong side. They are side specific.
Only have done drivers side, I’m 99% sure i have right side for right cam. I still will double check and update.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Isn’t the driver side the left side of the car?

Hyns

Reaction score
Wtf thats weird. I second FrebB's idea, imo call the seller(if bought from a business) and see if it was manufactered correctly
Isn’t the driver side the left side of the car?
it was the wrong cam! Should have double checked before I set the cam. Other cam fits like a glove and gives me the timing clearing I need. Dumb mistake on my part, just happy I realized it sooner rather than later.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back