Cooling upgrades

2003cobra22

forum member
Reaction score
Just replaced the factory water pump with Edelbrocks #8804 installed a new OEM radiator with 180 degree thermostat and upgraded to the FRPP Cooling Fan #M-8C607-MSVT. Low speed comes on at 190 and keeps it there even after a few hard pulls.

46addict

Reaction score
Is this on a NA setup? What's the benefit to lowering ECT below 200 on a fuel injected Mod motor? I'm just curious. Not trying to stir any pots.

2003cobra22

forum member
Reaction score
Is this on a NA setup? What's the benefit to lowering ECT below 200 on a fuel injected Mod motor? I'm just curious. Not trying to stir any pots.
I live in AZ the summers can be brutal, anything that can help lower coolant temps and get better heat transfer out of the AC condenser

Were the parts wore out or did you just want to replace as preventative maintenance?
Nothing wrong being proactive

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I was just curious. I've never ran anything but the stock pumps. Never saw a reason to switch. I used to live in Az and still visit time to time. So I understand.

2003cobra22

forum member
Reaction score
I was just curious. I've never ran anything but the stock pumps. Never saw a reason to switch. I used to live in Az and still visit time to time. So I understand.

Stock pump would have been ok with my setup but why not upgrade, Arizona summers are unforgiving when i had my 03 Cobra coolant temps were in the 220+ range regularly during the summer but that was 19psi

07 Boss

Reaction score
Being in Vegas I have similar climate. The best cooling mod IMO is an electric Meziere. Think about it, when do you put the most strain on your system? Sitting in traffic with the AC on and no air moving over the radiator. It is at this time that the pump is pumping the least amount of coolant through the system when you need it the most. An electric pump runs full bore all of the time pumping the max flow when you need it the most.

My gauge used to sit right in the middle. Since installing the Meziere it has never reached that same point on the gauge. It stays one notch cooler than it used to all of the time. I have actually seen my gauge go down idling in the staging lanes after a run.

Added little benefit is if you have aver snapped a belt, you can still make it a ways without worrying about overheating.

2003cobra22

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone bother to do a head cooling mod on these cars? Or is that a 4 valve thing?

Only an issue with 4v C castings and 03/04 mach 1/cobra/marauder heads, installed the head cooling mod on my 03 cobra. 05+ revisions like those on the 4v Aluminator long blocks don't need the cooling mod.

Back