Radiator fan turns on only when the AC is on but overheats when is off…

Demustang

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I’m pretty new to this forum. Before posting this thread, I have tried looking everywhere on this forum and others about this problem but no luck.

Anyways…

About a month ago, I went to go start up my 2014 Mustang V6 so I can go on a cruise and let it warm up for a while and headed back to my house. Came back 15 mins due to my time management. I assumed that the car was already warmed up at operating temperature (it was around 50 degrees and raining). So, I got in the car, fasten my seatbelt, and started driving out of my driveway.

About 10 seconds after driving out of the driveway, I looked down to see the dashboard and saw the engine temperature warning light on and the temperature gauge light turn red. I immediately found a spot to safely park the car to shut it off and cool off (temps were around 259 degrees Fahrenheit).

Once the temps drop enough to drive back to my house, I noticed that the radiator fans never turned on at all. Hours later and the whole car being cooled off, I decided to investigate the problem. Whenever I turn on the A/C, the fans will kick in. When I turn it off, fans will stop.

Things I checked:
• The Radiator fan itself
• Thermostat (was bad and was replaced, but that didn’t solve the problem)
• fueses and relays
• disconnecting and reconnecting the battery
• coolant
• water pump (no leaks)
• Serpentine belt (worn out and was replaced but still didn’t solve the issue)
• radiator

Anyways I hope I can get an answer. My replies may probably take a while so I’ll try to answer them as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
When the fan turns on with the AC but doesn't turn on at the appropriate coolant temperature, the problem is almost certainly a bad engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor. I don't know where it's located on the 3.7 V6 but if you do, disconnect the wiring harness connector. If the fan turns on immediately, you've confirmed the diagnosis.

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I’m pretty new to this forum. Before posting this thread, I have tried looking everywhere on this forum and others about this problem but no luck.

Anyways…

About a month ago, I went to go start up my 2014 Mustang V6 so I can go on a cruise and let it warm up for a while and headed back to my house. Came back 15 mins due to my time management. I assumed that the car was already warmed up at operating temperature (it was around 50 degrees and raining). So, I got in the car, fasten my seatbelt, and started driving out of my driveway.

About 10 seconds after driving out of the driveway, I looked down to see the dashboard and saw the engine temperature warning light on and the temperature gauge light turn red. I immediately found a spot to safely park the car to shut it off and cool off (temps were around 259 degrees Fahrenheit).

Once the temps drop enough to drive back to my house, I noticed that the radiator fans never turned on at all. Hours later and the whole car being cooled off, I decided to investigate the problem. Whenever I turn on the A/C, the fans will kick in. When I turn it off, fans will stop.

Things I checked:
• The Radiator fan itself
• Thermostat (was bad and was replaced, but that didn’t solve the problem)
• fueses and relays
• disconnecting and reconnecting the battery
• coolant
• water pump (no leaks)
• Serpentine belt (worn out and was replaced but still didn’t solve the issue)
• radiator

Anyways I hope I can get an answer. My replies may probably take a while so I’ll try to answer them as soon as possible.
Does the fan come on and STAY on when you turn on the A/C? Or does it cycle off and on? Our cars have 2 speed fans.

Reaction score
When the fan turns on with the AC but doesn't turn on at the appropriate coolant temperature, the problem is almost certainly a bad engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor. I don't know where it's located on the 3.7 V6 but if you do, disconnect the wiring harness connector. If the fan turns on immediately, you've confirmed the diagnosis.
Wouldn't that throw a code?

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Not necessarily. If you left it disconnected, yes. That's because the fan would stay on all the time and delay engine warm up.

Reaction score
It’ll stay on for a while but eventually will do it’s on and off cycle
Cycling when A/C is on is an indication that you low speed resistor or the low speed circuit has failed and you have high speed fan only. The cycling is because of high pressure in the A/C compressor that triggers the high speed fan. The low speed fan is supposed to run continuously when A/C is on to cool the condenser. Failure of the low speed fan is quite a common problem and may be the result of melting of the fan connectors or a bad resistor. It seems that the OEM fan motor starts drawing more current as it ages so I replaced the fan assembly when my low speed fan died.

Last edited:

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
Had the same issue on my 08 Bullitt, low speed electric fan resistor was fried. Buying just the resistor is $$$, good time to upgrade to the GT500 cooling fan assembly.

FC74473A-5D5B-4921-A89E-1D7CC9E8625B.jpeg

Demustang

Reaction score
Took me a while to find where the ECT was located (under the intake manifold). The car did exactly what you said when disconnecting the harness connector, but after replacing the sensor, I accidentally broke the harness protective covering which probably led me to have an engine code P1289.

Demustang

Reaction score
Had the same issue on my 08 Bullitt, low speed electric fan resistor was fried. Buying just the resistor is $$$, good time to upgrade to the GT500 cooling fan assembly.
My OEM fan resistor was In pretty bad shape LOL. Decided to just replace the whole cooling fan as I already bought another fan from eBay.IMG_6093.jpeg

JC SSP

Reaction score
GT500 fan upgrade should always be considered when replacing a stock GT fan.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back