Street Tire Decisions

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've read posts of the Nitto 555r and the MT 3743r. However, I haven't seen much written about the MT 3786r. Looks like this MT is in response to more people wanting street DRs.

The 555r looks like they may be more street friendly due to the tread pattern, but the 3786r has more tread than the 3743r, so it may be a viable option for daily driving (rain).

Guessing the MT has a softer compound and won't last as long as the Nitto, but if they last March through October on the street alone, then the additional traction would be worth it for me.

Thoughts?

Nitto 555r
http://dagostinoracing.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=11827

Nitto_555RII.jpg

MT 3786r
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreetRadialII&sku=3786R&size=P305/45R18&type=SS

et_street_radial_b.jpg

Last edited:

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Im doing the 555R in less than a month. I will be at the track about 5 times this year, thats it. So I am looking for a little longer longevity.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
And if longevity wasn't an issue, would you still go with the 555r?

I dunno, I have never personally used the MT. So I couldnt say for sure. Alot of my buddy's use the Nitto at the track and like them just fine.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I've never used either one of those exact tires, but if I had to choose between the two, it would be the M/T by a landslide.

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
Very happy with my M&H tires. Drive everyday on them and I beat the hell out of them. They still look new and I have 3k miles on them.

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
For pure street ability, I would go with the Nitto 555R. They will last longer than the M&H's, and MT's on the street. Plus, they aren't that bad in the rain either. If your car is a DD, and you have the chance of seeing rain, then go with the Nitto's. If you only drive your car on nice days, then stick with M&H and MT.

don_w

Reaction score
Very happy with my M&H tires. Drive everyday on them and I beat the hell out of them. They still look new and I have 3k miles on them.

For pure street ability, I would go with the Nitto 555R. They will last longer than the M&H's, and MT's on the street. Plus, they aren't that bad in the rain either. If your car is a DD, and you have the chance of seeing rain, then go with the Nitto's. If you only drive your car on nice days, then stick with M&H and MT.
When did M&H start making 18" DRs? I must have missed it...

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
Have you tried the M&H in the rain? Mine are better in the rain than my stock tires and K104 hankooks. Also I have a 4.30 gear.

don_w

Reaction score
Have you tried the M&H in the rain? Mine are better in the rain than my stock tires and K104 hankooks. Also I have a 4.30 gear.
+1... my previous Nittos scared the shit out of me on the street. The M&H's are better... wet and especially dry.

Thanks! Guess I hadn't seen those before. In that case, I agree... get the M&H's over both M/T and Nitto. :thumb:

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
+1... my previous Nittos scared the shit out of me on the street. The M&H's are better... wet and especially dry.

Thanks! Guess I hadn't seen those before. In that case, I agree... get the M&H's over both M/T and Nitto. :thumb:
I am glad I listened to you guys on here with M&H. :beer::thumb:

killrb

forum member
Reaction score
I just got a set of the Mickey Thompson 295/45-17 drag radials for my '08. I only have about 500 miles on them, but I they feel great. I have had 3 other sets of M/T drag radials and they always worked well.

Yes, the Nittos will do a little better in the rain, but I have never had an issue getting caught in the rain on mine, just have to be a little careful.

Brandon

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I certainly can throw the M&Hs in the mix. I've read they run small, so the 325/40 18 should fit a 9.5" wheel.

We average around 2-3" of rain per month, so it does stay a bit wet. Crap, now I have three to choose from.

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I certainly can throw the M&Hs in the mix. I've read they run small, so the 325/40 18 should fit a 9.5" wheel.

We average around 2-3" of rain per month, so it does stay a bit wet. Crap, now I have three to choose from.

I've never driven with M&H's, but they seem to be the favorite around here for both street and strip applications. I've driven in the rain with 555R's, and MT Radials, and the MT's scared the living shit out of me. The 555R's on the other hand seemed to handle perfectly fine at cruising 65MPH. If my car was to never see rain I would get M&H's no doubt, but if I ever have a slight chance of being caught in rain I'd stick with some 555R's. Mind that I've NEVER driven on M&H's in the rain, but they are a soft compound tire like the MT's, so they might drive the same, better, or worse...

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've never driven with M&H's, but they seem to be the favorite around here for both street and strip applications. I've driven in the rain with 555R's, and MT Radials, and the MT's scared the living shit out of me. The 555R's on the other hand seemed to handle perfectly fine at cruising 65MPH. If my car was to never see rain I would get M&H's no doubt, but if I ever have a slight chance of being caught in rain I'd stick with some 555R's. Mind that I've NEVER driven on M&H's in the rain, but they are a soft compound tire like the MT's, so they might drive the same, better, or worse...

That's pretty much been the consensus about driving in the rain with MT ET Street DRs, however, the ones above are the II series which have additional treads and should work more water out than the normal ET Street DR.

After looking closely at the M&H treads, they're pretty shallow compared to the MT and Nitto.

GERMANSHEPERD

forum member
Reaction score
I dunno, I have never personally used the MT. So I couldnt say for sure. Alot of my buddy's use the Nitto at the track and like them just fine.
Ive used both and there is NO COMPARISON M/T's hook way better than Nittos-the flip is you will get a lil longer life out of the Nittos, not enough to make it worth your while tho.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
The M/Ts hook up better than the Nittos. However, I think the Nitto NT555Rs are a much better overall street tire, IMO.

Back