Tire selection for Racestars on my DD???

Daniel Day

Resident psychopath
Reaction score
Alright guys, I hate to start another thread on Racestars and tire selection but I have been searching for a couple days and have read through EVERY thread regarding Racestars/DRs that I could find. I am set on purchasing a set(15x8 or 15x10 and 15x3.75) but I am still undecided on tires. My car is a DD so I have to drive it in all conditions, including rain, and I put about 10k miles a year on the car. I MAY visit the track a couple times a year so traction is not as important as wear/ride, etc. These wheels will split time with my Saleens I have now so I will actually only put about 5k miles or less per year on them.

So what are you guys opinions on tires? I see that Late Model Restoration has their packages on sale right now but they come with the Nankang Front Runners. Are those tires any good for street use? I read some reviews online and most people didn't seem to impressed with them. Does a DR(MT ET Streets, Nitto 555Rs, etc.) really handle as poorly in the rain as some say? Also, how many miles could I expect out of them? I saw that Tiger(Terry) is running the MT Sportsman SRs on his Bullitt. He says he has put 10k miles on them already and they still have plenty of tread left.

Anybody with experience with any of these please chime in. Opinions???

Thanks in advance for yall's help!

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How about the MT Sportsman? Also you may want to consider a larger front tire if u r DDing them.

Daniel Day

Resident psychopath
Reaction score
How about the MT Sportsman? Also you may want to consider a larger front tire if u r DDing them.

Are you taking about these? The tread pattern is awful looking, lol.
mt_sprt_r.jpg

Do you mean a wider rim? What size tire would you recommend for the front?

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was also thinking about Tiger's Bullitt's wheel and tire setup as the way to go for a DD. He did a lot of research before jumping on those.
Your right I did and I do drive the car and a lot at times.
And out of State.
It had 28K miles on it before I just had Brenspeed do the 302 thing a few weeks back.
I even drove the thing in some Snow (Crazy Agreed) but needed to get my
partner back to Nashville so he could be on time for work come Monday morning.

P190.jpg

P191.jpg

And I have driven it a bunch in the Rain.
But I don't drive crazy when it is raining.
I don't Tail-Gate.
I don't go around corners Faster than the Posted Limits.
Just common sense as the front skinnies are just that, Skinnies.
So they do-not have a lot of Traction for corners.

I will add this comment to others on here and or visitors to S197.
If you are NOT going to use some common sense driving with this set-up.
Don't go there as you will be in Deep-Shit !!!
If you are not willing to drive as I pointed out here for safety of you and others.

I have had Zero problems with the current set-up.

newbullittlook173-1.jpg

newbullittlook92-1.jpg

tigerhonaker

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are you taking about these? The tread pattern is awful looking, lol.
mt_sprt_r.jpg

Do you mean a wider rim? What size tire would you recommend for the front?

Sorry, no I meant the SRs, the one's Terry posted.

Daniel Day

Resident psychopath
Reaction score
Okay, I am thinking of going with the 15x10s/Nitto 555R and 15x3.75/front runners. I have found that guys run both the 275/50 and the 275/60 on the 15x10s. I know that the 275/60 are a little bit taller. What do you guys think? :thanks1:

Daniel Day

Resident psychopath
Reaction score
I have 4.10s. That is another reason I didnt want to go with the shorter tire.

Last edited:

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Okay, I am thinking of going with the 15x10s/Nitto 555R and 15x3.75/front runners. I have found that guys run both the 275/50 and the 275/60 on the 15x10s. I know that the 275/60 are a little bit taller. What do you guys think? :thanks1:

Just so you know those have Soft Compound and not for Mileage.
•"Soft" racing tread compound and 6/32" tread depth are specially constructed for maximum drag racing traction.
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/ti...=NT+555R+Drag+Radial&postalCodeSelected=37064

THE MT SR Sportsman has,
http://www.performancewheel.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=97&category=10&secondary=4&gacid=

Mickey Thompson Sportsman SR Radial

RADIAL, BLACK, TUBELESS, 8/32 TREAD DEPTH

Just thought you might like to know.​

tigerhonaker​

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
275/60s should work fine

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
I have the 555r's on mine and dd it and have no problems and have about 8k on them with some life left after 40 or so passes and a couple good burnouts on the street. They aren't to bad in the rain either

Daniel Day

Resident psychopath
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

@Stkjock, so do you think the 275/50 would not be good for me? It would basically make my gear ratio closer to 4.30, right? I have looked at A LOT of threads/pics and I actually kind of like the look of the smaller tire. Also, spoke with Dale(Dlmmlns?) and he said that the 275/60 actually rubbed on his car sometime. His car is lowered about the same as mine.

@Tiger, I know the 555Rs are not going to give me the same mileage as the SRs. While I want the mileage I also kind of want a stickier tire. The standard 555s that I have now have about 16k miles on them and still have plenty of life left. But because of the harder compound they basically have no grip. Would be nice to have my current setup for the longevity and also have the DRs for when I want to go out and "play" or take it to the track. Still thinking...

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
By the way I have been able to launch mine at 5k at the track after a good burnout. So I'd say they stick pretty good

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
@Stkjock, so do you think the 275/50 would not be good for me? It would basically make my gear ratio closer to 4.30, right? I have looked at A LOT of threads/pics and I actually kind of like the look of the smaller tire. Also, spoke with Dale(Dlmmlns?) and he said that the 275/60 actually rubbed on his car sometime. His car is lowered about the same as mine.

if your trapping 120+ then the shorter tire will push your RPMs at the line.

otherwise they are probably fine. if it were me and the car was a DD I'd go with the taller tire as you'll get better MPG. also the taller tire could help your 60s

Last edited:

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
@Tiger, I know the 555Rs are not going to give me the same mileage as the SRs. While I want the mileage I also kind of want a stickier tire. The standard 555s that I have now have about 16k miles on them and still have plenty of life left. But because of the harder compound they basically have no grip. Would be nice to have my current setup for the longevity and also have the DRs for when I want to go out and "play" or take it to the track. Still thinking...
That is correct for Maximum Traction the 555Rs are the Better choice.
The SR Sportsman tires are OK but do not offer the maximum traction of the 555Rs.
I think you will like your choice. :thumb2:

tigerhonaker

Last edited by a moderator:

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
My car is a DD so I have to drive it in all conditions, including rain, and I put about 10-12k miles a year on the car. I MAY visit the track a couple times a year so traction is not as important as wear/ride, etc.

Given this statement, I don't understand the desire to daily race wheels?

Even if you only drove in ideal conditions, the car will have terrible handling and braking properties.

Imagine trying to make an emergency stop in a 3500 lb car with massive 185mm tires digging into the tarmac up front. Cars that weight 1000 lbs less have more grip for braking up front.

Or imagine trying to make an emergency manuever on the highway going 75 mph. You turn the wheel to avoid danger....and you keep going completely straight, because you front tires belong on a bicycle, not a car.

Race wheels are for racing. I drove on the street once with front skinnies, just to test them out. They were awful and scary.

Last edited:

Daniel Day

Resident psychopath
Reaction score
I understand what you mean Vapour and I guess I should have worded that a little differently. First of all, when I say daily drive, I mean 3-4 times per week. As you know, I am a FF so I only have to drive to work every third day. Second, I hardly ever drive on interstate/hwy and I never plan to get on either with the Racestars on so that is not really an issue either.

I have always liked the looks of the bigs and littles and the when the Racestars came out they really won me over. Plus, I want some better/stickier tires and lighter/smaller wheels for when I do go to the track or some buddies and I want to go "play" on some backroads. My chrome 20" Saleens look great, but they just suck the life out of my car, if you know what i mean, lol. Honestly, I will probably only end up running the Racestars a few months out of the year.

Last edited:

rayS197

Reaction score
Given this statement, I don't understand the desire to daily race wheels?

Even if you only drove in ideal conditions, the car will have terrible handling and braking properties.

Imagine trying to make an emergency stop in a 3500 lb car with massive 185mm tires digging into the tarmac up front. Cars that weight 1000 lbs less have more grip for braking up front.

Or imagine trying to make an emergency manuever on the highway going 75 mph. You turn the wheel to avoid danger....and you keep going completely straight, because you front tires belong on a bicycle, not a car.

Race wheels are for racing. I drove on the street once with front skinnies, just to test them out. They were awful and scary.

thats not true at all. My car tracks true and rides very well with S/R fronts and MT ET streets in the rear. No issues braking and the above mentioned issues. I dont do anything crazy either. Just dont take turns at 80mph..
if your only running them in the better times of the year you will be fine.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back