tire review help

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Michelin PS4S will hook better than nearly any tire Nitto makes. Their tires run small for the size while almost always underperforming where it counts.
People insist on keeping them alive becasue they are cheap and "larger" sizes fit the same wheels any other brand would not.

Miker

Reaction score
I just purchased a staggered set of Michelin PS4S in 265 40 r18 front & 285 40 r18 rears. I am replacing Toyo Proxes T1s and I mainly compared the 555g2 vs the PS4S in my decision. No one has mentioned that, in the case of apples-2-apples comparison, the 555g2 in 285 width is a full 5# heavier than the PS4S. That's a lot of unsprung and rotational weight!

When I read your post about the weight of the tires I checked the site I bought my Toyo Proxes Sport A/S. 275s all around on 10 inch Roush wheels. I was happy to see they were only a few ounces different than the same size PS4s. That being said I was surprised how heavy the setup I am running is. I wonder if the Roush 18x10 rims are on the heavy side.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I just purchased a staggered set of Michelin PS4S in 265 40 r18 front & 285 40 r18 rears. I am replacing Toyo Proxes T1s and I mainly compared the 555g2 vs the PS4S in my decision. No one has mentioned that, in the case of apples-2-apples comparison, the 555g2 in 285 width is a full 5# heavier than the PS4S. That's a lot of unsprung and rotational weight!

I didn't mention anything about weights, but that was a column and a deciding factor on my spreadsheet that I created for comparison. I was definitely surprised at the amount of weight difference between all the tires I was looking at.

Michelin PS4S will hook better than nearly any tire Nitto makes. Their tires run small for the size while almost always underperforming where it counts.
People insist on keeping them alive becasue they are cheap and "larger" sizes fit the same wheels any other brand would not.

Like I've said. I've gone through 3 or 4 sets of 555g2's on my '12 and they perform perfect for me. I can't justify the extra cost for something that already works and looks great. Same size tires (305/35/20), the 555g2 has an inflated width of 12.32", while the PS4S is 12.01". How is the Nitto undersized?

JC SSP

Reaction score
Different tire manufacturers will have the same size tire listed yet physically have different dimensions and even weight. It’s part of construction, rubber formula, tire molding and curing process.

Not a big deal unless your trying to go feather weight and your millimeters from rubbing.

If reduction of rotating mass is a concern, then lighter flywheel, under drive pulleys, lighter rims and even brake rotors along with aluminum DS is a good way to reduce weight or parasitic loss but some have their drawbacks too…

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Different tire manufacturers will have the same size tire listed yet physically have different dimensions and even weight. It’s part of construction, rubber formula, tire molding and curing process.

Not a big deal unless your trying to go feather weight and your millimeters from rubbing.

If reduction of rotating mass is a concern, then lighter flywheel, under drive pulleys, lighter rims and even brake rotors along with aluminum DS is a good way to reduce weight or parasitic loss but some have their drawbacks too…

Right, because they're all different manufacturers making different tires. I don't have my notebook with me, but there was quite a bit of difference in weight between the 8 different tire brands I was looking at. The weight of the tire was not my deciding factor, but it was a data point on my sheets for sure. I'm not trying to go featherweight per say, but keeping an eye on overall weight isn't a bad thing.

have lightened flywheels and aluminum driveshafts in both cars, won't do under drive pulleys on my '12 and the only thing on my '66 is a water pump and an alternator, not worth it.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
I’m in a bit of a dilemma, I was going to order the PS4 S from Sam’s club, but they are now out of stock.
It was suggested by the salesman to get the Continental DWS extreme contact, it’s about $25 per tire cheaper. I’m going with 275/35 ZR18, and they have a sale at the end of the week with free mounting and balancing. There’s $70 off a set of four of the Michelins (and I think $80 a set off of the Continentals).
I am going to wait till the end of the month for the free mounting sale, obviously. But I don’t know how much difference there is between the two tires. In other words, is it worth 25 bucks a tire. I can get a set of PS4S 275/35, ZR 18 for $1162, and the DWS in the same size for about $100 cheaper. I don’t drive the car a lot anymore, so mileage and wear is not really a factor.
So if push comes to shove, and the PS4S does not come back into stock in time, has anyone run the DWS? I have them on my 2012 Edge Sport, but they are on the factory 22 inch rims. They seem to be good decent tires, but 22s versus 18s is not exactly apples to oranges. Neither is an SUV to a Mustang.

Edit: I have also heard good things about the Firestone Indy FireHawk tire. I’m not opposed to exploring that option either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I have heard a lot of good things about the Firehawks and lots and lots of great positive reviews about the conti DWS.

Firehawks weren't on my list because they didn't have the sizes I needed, but lots have said they're a good tire.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I have heard a lot of good things about the Firehawks and lots and lots of great positive reviews about the conti DWS.

Firehawks weren't on my list because they didn't have the sizes I needed, but lots have said they're a good tire.
Firehawks are mediocre, the sidewall is soft and the get greasy when you lean on them. They do hook fairly well in a straight line.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Firehawks are mediocre, the sidewall is soft and the get greasy when you lean on them. They do hook fairly well in a straight line.
just going with what I've read on the interwebs, which I always take with a grain of salt, but nothing I read ever mentioned those traits when I was researching tires, most said the firehawks were a good tire for the price.

I should of mentioned I have no experience with either of those tires on my cars.

Last edited:

JC SSP

Reaction score
Yeah I have never had Firestone’s on any of my cars. Just a personal preference… there way too many other superior options to even consider them.

On the continentals, I saw some on TireRack that had excellent reviews and were on close-out but since I don’t want to have an issue down the road and not be able to replace a tire with a matching set I passed on it.

I am soooo happy with the Michelins I got at BJ and just hoping to get more than 20k miles out of them.

Consider checking with BJ, Costco or speak to the manager at Sam’s and have them order the tires.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
So if push comes to shove, and the PS4S does not come back into stock in time, has anyone run the DWS?
I am currently running a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires in 255\40\18, 295\35\18 front\rear stagger on my Stang & I have no complaints w\ them at all. Been on my car for 4 1\2 + yrs.

I made my decision based off the Tire Rack testing review results for a performance compound, all season rating tire category listing the Conti's consistently a close 2nd to the top dog Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's in practically every specific attribute & the fact that the widest width the PS4S's were available in @ Discount Tire was 285\35\18 whereas the Conti's came in 295\35\18 (was wanting a 26" dia tire instead of the OEM 27" dia on purpose & the widest rear tire I could get to fit my OEM 07-09 Ford GT500 18 x 9.5 wheels) & were slightly cheaper overall.

Personally, if not for what I typed above, I would've had the Michelin PS4S's on my car instead, but I don't regret getting the Conti's at all.

So far, I've found everything said of these Conti's in that review is true.......................

Hope this helps.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
OK guys, I’m pulling the trigger today or tomorrow on a set of tires. The Michelin’s are still not back in stock and the sale goes off tomorrow. So it looks like I’ll be going with the DWS06.
My dilemma is between the 275/35 and the 275/40. I am leaning more toward the 40 and it’s only about $17 more expensive than the 35. ($274 vs $257)
Is there any appreciable difference other than sidewall height? Even that’s not going to be a lot…

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
OK guys, I’m pulling the trigger today or tomorrow on a set of tires. The Michelin’s are still not back in stock and the sale goes off tomorrow. So it looks like I’ll be going with the DWS06.
My dilemma is between the 275/35 and the 275/40. I am leaning more toward the 40 and it’s only about $17 more expensive than the 35. ($274 vs $257)
Is there any appreciable difference other than sidewall height? Even that’s not going to be a lot…

the 40 series will offer a better ride and rim protection vs the 35 series.

Samos3

Reaction score
I am currently running a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires in 255\40\18, 295\35\18 front\rear stagger on my Stang & I have no complaints w\ them at all. Been on my car for 4 1\2 + yrs.

I made my decision based off the Tire Rack testing review results for a performance compound, all season rating tire category listing the Conti's consistently a close 2nd to the top dog Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's in practically every specific attribute & the fact that the widest width the PS4S's were available in @ Discount Tire was 285\35\18 whereas the Conti's came in 295\35\18 (was wanting a 26" dia tire instead of the OEM 27" dia on purpose & the widest rear tire I could get to fit my OEM 07-09 Ford GT500 18 x 9.5 wheels) & were slightly cheaper overall.

Personally, if not for what I typed above, I would've had the Michelin PS4S's on my car instead, but I don't regret getting the Conti's at all.

So far, I've found everything said of these Conti's in that review is true.......................

Hope this helps.
I've been trusting the Tirerack reviews for 20 years. It has never disappointed me. It also shows that paying more does not always mean better.

If you click on 'See All Reviews', you can filter for make/model to see reviews that are relevant to your car (or similar) and then the individual reviews usually show location (weather and climate indicators) and how many miles that reviewer has driven.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
the 40 series will offer a better ride and rim protection vs the 35 series.
Yes, that’s kind of what I’m feeling. I have 275/40/R18 Nitto 555’s on it now. They seem to be a little short.
I've been trusting the Tirerack reviews for 20 years. It has never disappointed me. It also shows that paying more does not always mean better.
Yeah, but a little taller tire for $17 more is ok with me.
I’m sure the increased mileage wear will be good. Besides, my car is NA so I’ll probably have more tire than I need with the DWS06, if I wear them out and it’s still running I will get the PS4S next time. I’m at 180k now lol

Samos3

Reaction score
Your reason for taller tire is a good one. The extra cost for that has little to do with tire quality. I've had Pirellis I hated and Kumhos I loved. Huge price difference.

I actually went 255 up from stock 235. Not for extra grip, although that's nice. I did it to have a little more rubber sticking out to protect the rim. I can't stand tires narrower than the rim.

Samos3

Reaction score
One other thing about the variances between manufacturers for a given size, if you look at the Specs on Tirerack, they also list tread depth. You be surprised how much difference there can be. Thicker tread equals more weight and larger diameter.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Most tread depth range from 8/32 to 10/32. Dont worry about the higher number as they will wear down as appropriate.

One of the negatives of deeper tread is “tread squirm” but most of us are not going to auto-cross our vehicles so this shouldn’t be an issue.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back