tire review help

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I hate looking at reviews online for anything really, but tires are one of the worst. One review says how horrible it handles in the wet and the very next one praises it's excellent wet handling ability.

I'm doing a huge project on my '66 coupe which includes new wheels and tires. I've got a list of all the ultra high performance summer tires that come in the sizes I need/want. But I only have real world experience with 1 of them, the 555 g2. I've been using it on my '12 for years now.

Car is 331ci/T5 '66 coupe with lots of mods. I don't race it, but I do enjoy driving fast and pushing the car. I don't drive it in the rain, so wet traction isn't really a big concern.

So I'm looking for any experience you all have with these tires, in no particular order:

General G-Max RS
Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 2
Nitto NT05
Falken FK510
Continental ExtremeSport 02
Michelin Pilot Sport 4s

I know the last 2 are a very popular tire and will probably get more feedback about them.

Last edited:

JC SSP

Reaction score
I am a "tire guy" and I have to ask... what do you want in a tire? Summer, winter all season, street/strip, track, mileage, comfort, etc... And then of course what are you willing to pay per tire$$$ Once you decide the choice is a little easier.

I was a dedicated Goodyear Tire only customer for many years, but changed to other options about 20 years ago. I have had several sets of Michelins on my cars and SUVs, with very good results.

I currently have NT555 on my 05' GT and love them. Michelin Pilot Sports on my Audi and they grip very well but wear is piss poor (20K)... I am actually getting ready to replace them and looking at options.

Wifes 23' Durango R/T came with Perellis and way to new to tell if they are good, bad or ugly. Jury is still out since vehicle has 1,600 miles. Our old 05' Durango came with original Goodyear RSA (crap tire) barely got 20K out of them, Goodyear tried to say "it got a Hemi" but all four were cupped and worn throughout the tread, definitely a defect. I put on a set of Goodyear HT and again not even 30K. I replaced those with Michelin and got 80K out of the first set and another two sets of the same tire gave me around 75K each time. I finally replaced the last set with some BF Goodrich Advantage which I was surprised how well they performed. I traded her in last month with 297K on clock and more than 3/4 tread life left.

My no defunct 06" GT Convertible had Goodyear Eagles until the day I put her out to pasture. They road nice but would get squirrely when you would jump on it... Even for a heavy convertible they would spin way too much.

I had Cooper Zeon RS3 on a 96" GT which was buy 3 and get 1 free. They were decent for all around cruising and replaced the old dry rotted Goodyear Eagles. I will say they were on-par in every aspect with the Goodyears.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Car is 331ci/T5 '66 coupe with lots of mods. I don't race it, but I do enjoy driving fast and pushing the car. I don't drive it in the rain, so wet traction isn't really a big concern.

Sorry, I forgot to add the 555 G2 to the list. But I have experience with that already. I've been through 3 sets of them on my '12 in 20's.

Other brands/models did not make the list because they did not offer the sizing I need. I am looking at 255/40/18 and 285/35/18 for the car. All of those tires I listed range from $822 to $1345 for a full set of the aforementioned sizes. But I do know the Falken, Hankook and General tires are "off brands" and why they're cheaper, $822 $845 and $921 respectively. Prices for Nittos, Contis, and Michelins are almost a wash. They range from $1007 to $1345.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Ok that's great info and your fronts are about the same size that's on my Audi. Also, you have a staggered set up so no rotation, hence rear will wear out quicker... LOL

I would stick with what I know... Nittos or Michelins. Price difference isn't much and you know what you're going to get.

Keep us posted on your decision and then pics of thew set up.

FYI I use Tire Rack for research and comparison, then buy locally (i.e., Tire Kingdom, B.J.s, Costco, etc.) for road hazard warranty, lifetime balance and rotation, alignment, etc.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
The Michelin PS4S is the best high performance summer tire money can buy. I have daily driven these tires at well over 750 horsepower in all manors of non-freezing weather.

JC SSP

Reaction score
That’s what I have on my boosted Audi. The issue is 20k miles. Although that’s has been in the last 4 years so not bad I guess.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Ok that's great info and your fronts are about the same size that's on my Audi. Also, you have a staggered set up so no rotation, hence rear will wear out quicker... LOL
I would stick with what I know... Nittos or Michelins. Price difference isn't much and you know what you're going to get.
Keep us posted on your decision and then pics of thew set up.
FYI I use Tire Rack for research and comparison, then buy locally (i.e., Tire Kingdom, B.J.s, Costco, etc.) for road hazard warranty, lifetime balance and rotation, alignment, etc.

Might be awhile before I get to that point. Installing the mini-tubs now, then it's on to the 3-link coilover install on my housing/chassis. I'll weigh the car again at this point, then swap to my new front and rear brake setup and wheels/tires. Then I'll go weigh it again, lol

Jessica

Reaction score
Just make sure you check the manufacture date on the tire you choose. Discount Tire sold me a (NEW) set of Michelins that were 18 months old. I went back and they said it was a manufacture issue. Michelin customer service (Al) was rude and just blew me off.

JC SSP

Reaction score
GREAT point. Most tires have a 5-6 year shelf life.

Easiest way is to decipher the last DOT number stamped on the sidewall. Example (0822) = eight week of 2022, so February of 2022

I am having my new set of PS4S installed this Friday I will confirm DOP.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
yup, I know how date codes work. I found a "new" michelin PS4S in the size I need for the rear on ebay, however, its from 2018! Hard pass

Sucks that's how Discount Tire treated you. I've been lucky I suppose, all of the tires I've bought online were made within a few months of purchase date.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
I’m about to replace the tires on my 07, I have 18 x 10 wheels. I know I’m never going with Nitto NT 555s ever again. The G2’s may be better with wet traction, but the originals sucked. I don’t know why I ever put them back on my car, even in 275 width!
I’m looking on Discount Tire now, but I can also order from Sam’s club. I’ve heard good things about the fire stone Indy Firehawk, or do I just go on up to the Michelin ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddd4114

forum member
Reaction score
In that list, I've used NT05's and PS4S's.

I used NT05's on my Mustang when I was daily-driving it and doing track days, and I wouldn't buy them again. The dry grip wasn't spectacular when I used them 10 years ago, and other tires in their class are WAY better than them now. The wet grip was awful back then, and I can't see how it's any better today. Nitto (Toyo) seems to use archaic compounds that worked well a long time ago, but I haven't seen much innovation from them in a while.

I've been using PS4S's on my Focus ST for ~30k miles (daily driving only), and they've been great. I've mostly been using Michelins on my vehicles for years, and while they tend to be expensive I think they're worth it. In my experience they offer good performance in all conditions and wear surprisingly well.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I’m about to replace the tires on my 07, I have 18 x 10 wheels. I know I’m never going with Nitto NT 555s ever again. The G2’s may be better with wet traction, but the originals sucked. I don’t know why I ever put them back on my car, even in 275 width!
I’m looking on Discount Tire now, but I can also order from Sam’s club. I’ve heard good things about the fire stone Indy Firehawk, or do I just go on up to the Michelin ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the budget allows for Michelins id go that route.

JerryZ

Reaction score
Buy once, Cry once and go with the PS4S. You will be glad you did. I picked mine up just a year ago. IMO, nothing else comes close to a do it all tire.
Well worth the premium price.

JC SSP

Reaction score
They do wear quickly... Getting my new set installed as I am typing this. Let's see how long these last me...

FYI Car is modified, and I don't drive like a maniac... spirited driving at best. I rotate, balance & align per recommended mileage intervals. Check my air pressure regularly and always do a walk around when refueling.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back