The Long and Winding Road...

Kris_H

forum member
Reaction score
It's hard to believe I've had my Mustang for over 4 years now...and in those 4 years I've managed to do quite a bit to it! In May of this year, I decided that it was time to breathe new life into it by way of a complete overhaul...so here, on the eve of a whole new paint job, I've decided to post up the story of my car from the week I got it right up through today!

So...bear with me...but I hope you all enjoy the pictures!

Kris Horton

Kris_H

forum member
Reaction score
Phase One - February 2005 through the SEMA Show, November 2005

My story begins in early 2005...I had just taken a design job at Jada Toys in the L.A. area and was in the market for a new car. I had had my eyes on the new Mustang GT ever since the concept was unveiled and it was my top choice, despite being a Chevy guy. I came across this car on a local Ford lot a day after it was delivered. It was a Mineral Grey/Parchment GT with an auto and IUP package that had been ordered by a guy who later walked away from it. He apparently thought he could haggle the price after the car was delivered.

Truth be told, this particular car wouldn't have been my first decision as I had always wanted a manual transmission (despite being a n00b to driving stick) and a dark interior...though after a few minutes of looking the car over and a test drive, I forgot all about those wants and had to have this car. The fact that there was a several month wait for GT's at the time only helped to sell me on this particular car. I drove off the lot in my new Mustang the next day.

Not long after buying the car, I decided that stock just wouldn't do and set my sights on building it into a SEMA-going show car much like the ones I had seen the previous year at the show. It started out simple, but snowballed quickly and by November of 2005 I had a fully customized Mustang.

Now, you'll have to forgive me as I didn't take very many pictures of the car the first few months I had owned it...I was too busy driving it! But here are some of the pics I did manage to take.

Here is my car the day after I bought it. I took it to a buddy's shop to put it on the lift and get a bit of a better look at her.

Week1_1.jpg

Again...not many pics of the car right after I got it...but one day while out at California Speedway getting our Chevelle shot for Popular Hot Rodding magazine, my dad took a pic of me doing a burnout. Unfortunately he took the pic a bit early lol.

Mustang_May05.jpg

Now, things started out fairly slow...I installed a Borla cat-back exhaust, Eibach springs, and a blackout panel in the rear...but in late September, I installed my Street Scene Equipment body kit:

Mustang_October05_1.jpg

Mustang_October05_2.jpg

Followed by an RK Sport "California Dream" Ram Air hood.

Mustang_LateOctober05_1.jpg

A few days after the hood went on, a big ol' box of boost showed up on my doorstep courtest of ATI ProCharger. Thanks to my dad and our good friend Steve, my ProCharger went on in about a day and a half:

Mustang_ProChargerInstall1.jpg

Mustang_ProChargerInstall2.jpg

Towards the end of October of 2005, it was time to transform the looks of the car even more. Thanks to Troy at APE Wraps, my car got a custom vinyl wrap based on a paint scheme I had designed for it. I dropped the car off at Eddie Paul's shop in El Segundo, CA. Not many of you know just how cool this guy is, but he's responsible for the builds of several famous movie cars including cars from the first and second Fast and Furious movies and Triple X's GTO (pictured next to my Mustang below). Since Troy was in the area doing some installs, my car spent the weekend at EP's shop. Less than 2 days later I picked it up, wrapped and one step closer to finished!

Mustang_PreWrap1.jpg

Mustang_PreWrap2.jpg

Sadly, this is the best pic I got the night I picked up the car after being wrapped...

Mustang_PostWrap1.jpg

You guys might be looking at the pics and wondering why I added a body kit, graphics, and a blower but kept my stock wheels...well, it wasn't by choice as I had already ordered them at this point. They just took a little while to show up. But it was well worth the wait. My Forgeline SP3P 3-piece wheels:

Mustang_Wheels1.jpg

A week later, my big brake kit showed up. There's a long story behind this brake kit...but in short, the kit showed promise, but ended up being terrible and produced by crooks. The company is no longer around thankfully...unfortunately they took a good chunk of money they owed me with them when they closed their doors.

All drama aside, they looked decent, but weren't worth the hassle. Here are some pics:

Mustang_Brakes1.jpg

Mustang_Brakes2.jpg

In addition to all of these changes, I also added a set of Auto Meter Carbon Fiber gauges, brushed aluminum style dash kit, and 2-tone Katzkin upholstery:

Mustang_FrontSeats1.jpg

MustangDash1.jpg

With all of these mods done to the car, I was ready for SEMA. Thanks to Mike at Street Scene Equipment and Troy at APE Wraps, my Mustang had a great feature spot right in front of the doors to the Central Hall.

Mustang_SEMA1.jpg

The car was very well-received and Jack Roush himself even stopped by to say hi and check out the car! I have a picture of him with the car somewhere...unfortunately I can't find it to save my life right now. :(

After SEMA I took some shots of the finished product, or as I refer to it now: Phase One.

Mustang_Finished1.jpg

Mustang_Finished2.jpg

Mustang_Finished3.jpg

Mustang_Finished4.jpg

Last edited:

Kris_H

forum member
Reaction score
Phase...One and a Half... - September 2006 through February 2007

After debuting my car at SEMA, I attended shows all over Southern California including Fabulous Fords Forever and several other shows...but thanks to technical issues, I missed some of the bigger shows. I missed Mustangs in the Park in June, due to a brake caliper almost coming off (told you the brakes were lousy...) and in September, the day I was going to register for the annual Saleen show, the unthinkable happened...

Accident1.jpg

Accident2.jpg

Accident3.jpg

This happened about 100 yards from my home...

I was making a left turn on a green arrow. There were 2 left turn lanes and the car next to me slammed on its brakes just in time, but I was unfortunately hit by a young Asian girl that ran the solid red light. She hit me directly in the front wheel doing about 35-40 mph (her estimate, but it sounds about right.) I reacted surprisingly well and in hindsight, I could have strangled her, but I got out (unscathed, but shaken) and checked on her. We were both just fine, but I was pretty upset after taking a look at my car. The final cost of the damages was just a hair over $14K. Thankfully this was mostly cosmetic in nature. The actual mechanical damage was relatively easy to fix. Despite taking the brunt of the impact, my wheel held up amazingly well and was only scuffed up. Gotta love forged wheels!

The next 6 months were pure torture unfortunately. To keep a long story short...or...less-long, the shop I took my car to was mired in drama and my car got caught up in all of it. Things progressed pretty quickly at first, then the car sat...and sat...and sat...then one painter began painting it but quit, then the car sat some more.

After 5 months of the car just collecting dust at this shop, the work was finally wrapped up and the car came out looking really good. I took tried to turn this bad situation into something positive and ended up paying the shop to actually paint my graphic scheme on to the car. The graphics were done by Paintworx and the car was beautifully hand-pinstriped by Wild Bill. I had the piping for the ProCharger painted Mineral Grey and the intake manifold and valve covers wrapped in a Carbon Fiber applique to help spruce up the engine bay.

UpdatedEngine1.jpg

NewPaint1.jpg

NewPaint2.jpg

NewPaint3.jpg

NewPaint4.jpg

I also decided to upgrade my brakes while the car was out of commission, so I contacted STILLEN and picked up a set of AP Racing brakes. They made a night and day difference over the crappy kit that was on there before.

NewBrakes1.jpg

And here's the car all finished up after 6 months!

mustangrear1smallax5.jpg

Last edited:

Kris_H

forum member
Reaction score
Phase Two - Summer 2007 through May 2009

Not too much changed on the car after the new paint job, but I did add and change a few things. First off, in June of '07 I swapped over to a GT500 front end. This swap was just starting to get popular and I, like many others, HAD to have it! I think it made my car look a lot more agressive and not so squareish in the front:

MustangNewFront1.jpg

MustangNewFront2.jpg

I almost forgot to mention...along the way, I added an NX "Ntercooler" Nitrous Spray Bar. I'm not proud to admit this...but it was just for show. I just wanted to explain why there's a nitrous bottle in the following pictures lol...

In December of '07 I had a custom sound system installed in the Mustang. It was kind of the missing link as I had a pretty stock looking trunk for a long time. The shop did a really clean install and I managed to retain a lot of usable trunk space while still running 2 JL Subs and 2 Ample Amps:

System1.jpg

System2.jpg

Last edited:

Kris_H

forum member
Reaction score
Phase Three - May 2009 through ???

So...where to begin?

Well, in April of this year I attended an annual car show in my hometown. It's a small show that the local stereo shop puts on and I get invited back every year as my cars seem to be really well-liked. Well, this year was a bit different. The cars still got a lot of attention, but the show was...different. There was a much more thuggish atmostphere and the crowd was mostly 18 and under. The guys putting on the show do a burnout contest every year, though in past years it was held away from the cars and done in moderation. This year, the contest was held roughly 6-8 feet away from my M3 and my Mustang. All was well until a Dodge Ram did a burnout. His exhaust was right behind his tires and became a sort of leafblower, spraying both my cars down with molten tire and gravel. The paint was pretty much ruined on both cars. I left the show fuming and the next day when I spoke with the guy who put the show on, I was simply met with "well, what do you want me to do? It's not my fault."

So...that sucked...but I put in a call to my insurance companies and they handled everything quickly. When I went in to have the damage assessed, I was met with quite a shock. Thankfully, the M3 was an easy fix, but I was informed that the Mustang was a different story. Since I had my car painted in '07 with solvent-based paint, it would be impossible to touch up and properly match the exiting paint thanks to California's new regulation which makes solvent-based paint illegal to spray. 2 different shops informed me that they had to use waterborne paint now and that matching it would be more time consuming and expensive than just repainting the car.

This was the proverbial kick in the pants for me to redesign the Mustang.

I decided to take the Mustang to Airhead Kustoms in Corona, CA after speaking with owner Jason Russell and a solid recommendation from my girlfriend, Jade, who had dealt with him in the past. He's very professional and straight up. I didn't get the sense that he was out to take me for as much money as he could and his work spoke for itself. So, I set to work on a new paint scheme since I had been getting a little bored with my car after having the same "look" for almost 4 years. I decided to pay extra and have him do a full color-change on the car. In picking my new color scheme, I realized that my tan interior would no longer look quite right, so I also decided to swap completely over to Charcoal and kinda go from there. While I won't spill the beans on the new look just yet, I will share some pics of the progress. Sorry they're just cell phone pics for now!

Where the magic is happening:

AKSign.JPG

I picked up a Cervini's GT500 2.5" cowl hood after seeing how beautiful it looked on 06ELNR's car. Thanks for the recommendation!

NewHood1.JPG

Some shots of Jason masking off the car for paint on Thursday, July 2nd. Paint goes on Monday morning!

Masking1.JPG

Masked1.jpg

UPDATE!

So, Monday morning the painting began! We wrapped up Wednesday morning after 2 very long days. I hung around helping where I could and guiding the process to get as close to my original concept as we could. The car came out looking JUST like the rendering, which I'll post later down the line as there are still a few things I plan to keep under wraps for now!

Get ready...there are quite a few pictures!

Monday 7/6

I showed up at Airhead Kustoms around 11am on Monday. The car had already been sprayed with the basecoat and primary color of the car, House of Colors Pearl White:

MustangWhite.jpg

We immediately started laying out the graphics I had designed for the car. Like I said before, this scheme has a few cues from my old paint scheme, but overall is brand new. Here are some shots of the graphic fleshed out along the side and top of the car:

MustangGraphicTaped.jpg

Note the rendering on the rear window of the car. :)

MustangGraphicTaped2.jpg

Once everything was masked off, Art began spraying the accent color, Atomic Orange Pearl!

MustangAO1.jpg

MustangAO2.jpg

After the orange was painted, Jason and I worked together on laying out the flame pattern that would be painted inside of the graphics. We used a plotter to to lay them out in vinyl to be used as a stencil. Art and Jason then airbrushed the drop shadows, creating a really nice 3D layered effect. There are actually 2 layers of flames and a background layer. It was a long process as everything was airbrushed. The total time was roughly 14 hours! Here are some pics of this process:

MustangAirbrush1.jpg

MustangAirbrush3.jpg

MustangAirbrush2.jpg

By the time the airbrushing was finished, it was midnight...so we called it a night and met up again bright and early on...

Tuesday 7/7

After the graphics were all finished up, Jason and Art set to work backmasking the car for the top color...which I won't spoil just yet!

MustangBackmask1.jpg

MustangBackmask2.jpg

MustangBackmask3.jpg

Once the car was masked again, Art began spraying the top color.

MustangPB1.jpg

As Art was in the booth, "Wild" Bill Wisslead showed up. He is one of the most talented guys I have ever met. Not only does he have one of the steadiest hands I've ever seen lay down a pinstripe, but he also airbrushes, lays gold leaf, does signage, and not to mention, plays a mean harmonica! He not only brough his immense talent to my project, but he brought a great deal of cheer to the paint booth with his sense of humor.

Here's Wild Bill mixing one of the custom pinstripe colors:

MustangWildBill1.jpg

Go figure...I had to make things difficult by asking him to stripe the roof...

MustangWildBill2.jpg

More shots of the master at work:

MustangWildBill3.jpg

MustangWildBill6.jpg

So, we finally got out of the shop on Tuesday at about 10:30pm. Another long day, but the car was finally done and ready for clearcoat...and those pics will be up shortly!

Last edited:

Kris_H

forum member
Reaction score
so which direction is hte car going now? Great story so far...

Well, last year I pretty much ruined myself when I bought a BMW M3...so my goal for the Mustang now is to bring it up to par with the M3 styling and interior-wise. It'll still have a lot of cues from the original design, but it'll look a bit more high-end...hopefully!

Nice write-up bro!!! Car looks amazing...

Thanks man, I appreciate it! I'll be posting progress pics of Phase 3 today!

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
WOW, just WOW. Amazing write-up and beautiful car. Where the hell do you find the time and money to do all of this??? LOL Looks AMAZING!!

Kris_H

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words! Thankfully this car is not only my hobby, but it's a part of my business, so it gets a lot of my attention. I design custom cars and the Mustang has become my sort of "mobile calling card." As far as finding the money...well, part of it is hard work and part of it is having some great sponsors. My car wouldn't be what it is today without some of the great companies out there that have helped me along the way. I'm not saying all the parts have been free, but I have definitely had a good amount of help!

To see my hobby-turned-career, check out my site, www.carsbykris.com. :)

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Why didn't you say anything while the guy was spraying the road all over your mustang? Some little ricer in front of me in the staging lanes revved his little honda engine as hard as he could and blue smoke came spewing from the exhaust... I got out, pounded his window and yelled "DONT BLOW THAT BLUE SHIT ON MY CAR AGAIN". He was very quiet after that.

Car looks good!

Kris_H

forum member
Reaction score
Oh believe me, I was throwing a frickin' fit and yelling at everyone, but there were maybe 150 or more people crowded around and the stage was blasting music so my voice fell on deaf ears...here's a pic of the mayhem (FWD car doing a burnout in this pic...):

BurnoutContest.jpg

Last edited:

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words! Thankfully this car is not only my hobby, but it's a part of my business, so it gets a lot of my attention. I design custom cars and the Mustang has become my sort of "mobile calling card." As far as finding the money...well, part of it is hard work and part of it is having some great sponsors. My car wouldn't be what it is today without some of the great companies out there that have helped me along the way. I'm not saying all the parts have been free, but I have definitely had a good amount of help!

To see my hobby-turned-career, check out my site, www.carsbykris.com. :)
Kris, I am truely amazed at your talent. I was looking at your site and you have some incredible ideas. I didn't mean to come off rude or arrogant when I question you about the money thing. I guess I am a little jealous in a way. It's great to hear you have the resources and talent you have to get where you are. Keep it up!! I wouldn't mind seeing some more pictures of other projects.

jjay760

forum member
Reaction score
man great write up:clap: i usually dont read the whole thread but wow. plus the car was a added bonus. cant wait to see the final product

Vapor08gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wait a sec... you didn't do the '09 camaro rendering for PHR a couple of years back did you? What about the '12 TA ?

Kris_H

forum member
Reaction score
Kris, I am truely amazed at your talent. I was looking at your site and you have some incredible ideas. I didn't mean to come off rude or arrogant when I question you about the money thing. I guess I am a little jealous in a way. It's great to hear you have the resources and talent you have to get where you are. Keep it up!! I wouldn't mind seeing some more pictures of other projects.

No worries, you didn't sound rude at all! I get asked all the time. I'm definitely far from being rich, but I have managed to make a lot of great contacts and build a lot of strong relationships in the industry.

Thanks for the kind words on the work. I consider myself truly lucky to have made a career out of a hobby!

man great write up:clap: i usually dont read the whole thread but wow. plus the car was a added bonus. cant wait to see the final product

Thanks, that means a lot! I was writing this thread last night thinking, "boy...this is pretty long, I'll be amazed if people actually read it." :)

Wait a sec... you didn't do the '09 camaro rendering for PHR a couple of years back did you? What about the '12 TA ?

Yes and no. :) I did do a Camaro concept for PHR, which is actually what got me into the industry, but I never did a TA concept, that might have been one of the other artists out there.

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Fantasy Factory is on tv right now and they just showed Rob's car, the 69 camaro!! awesome man

Kris_H

forum member
Reaction score
Wednesday 7/8

So finally on Wednesday, the clearcoat went on and true awesomeness was achieved!

The top color ended up looking stellar. It's a color called "Pearl Black" and I honestly think it's one of the most stunning paints out there. When the sun hit it after the clear went on, it left me speechless! The car is still disassembled for now as they still need to wet sand and buff the entire car, but if it looks this good now, I can't wait to see it once it's all put back together!

Anyway, enough words...here are some pictures!

MustangPaint_Clearcoat4web.jpg

MustangPaint_Clearcoat2web.jpg

MustangPaint_Clearcoat5web.jpg

MustangPaint_Clearcoat3web.jpg

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back