My v8 swap thread.

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
So yesterday I fixed the 2 bolts I snapped in the #5 cam bearing cap.:stooges:. Nothing broken, just my ego.

Today, only had 7 hours of actual shop time at the auto hobby shop on base and at least 1/4 of it was spent waiting on a mechanic for help, parts and I waited almost 1hr for them to get the cherry picker attached(shop policy).

I had a couple :crazy: moments like not being able to disconnect the a/c lines after I had the system vaccumed out. Come to find out, not all was vaccumed out and when I disconnected the lines from the condensor it spewed out green sh!t. Needless to say the a/c lines quickly came off after that and the 'mechanics' at the shop didn't know shit.:stfu:

Fast forward to 5 minutes till closing, the engine and transmission were still together, EVERYTHING besides the fuse box and a/c lines and p/s lines was taken out. The engine was hooked to the cherry picker, lifted off the engine mount studs, only to find out I didn't disconnect the shifter.:ftard:

I kid you not, I got the shifter bolts on the underbody of the car completely off but the shift handle bolts on my 6spd. 7:00 rolls around and they wouldn't give me an extra 5 minutes.
Me--> :chainsaw:<--Them

Anyways, my camera got destroyed on halloween and my phone died today. If somebody wants, I can take pics of my progress during the day and send them to their email to post up in this thread.

Tomorrow:
The v6 WILL be out of the car and the V8 will be installed. Assuming no hiccups, I should be able to get the a/c and p/s lines in and startup would be on sunday.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Good luck Alex. Hope it goes well for you.
Post up details somewhere, as I'm right behind you, once I build my engine (or the shortblock gets built ;) )

bswor

forum member
Reaction score
Get ready for the "why didn't you just buy a gt" question.... I can't tell you how many times I've heard that.

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah good luck. What base's hobby shop?

Oceana Air Force base. I think its an air force base because their are a shit tone of F16's flying all day. I'll be there from 9 til closing at 5:30 tomorrow. If you wanna stop by to say hi your more than welcome.

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
Get ready for the "why didn't you just buy a gt" question.... I can't tell you how many times I've heard that.

I got a simple, respectful and true answer. It was a graduation gift from HS with the contingency that it will be signed over to me upon my graduation of College.

Now I just gotta get my suspension setup so I can whip up on my dad's vette in the corners.:thumb2:

I also have a few choice words for those type of people. For instance, yesterday when i was at the hobby shop fixing the shifter bolt that fell out and cursing because of no space in the tunnel housing I hear "Its because you bought a ford" or "Shouldn't have.." My next words were from under the car w/o knowing who said it and they were "Whoever said that SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!!".

Last edited:

Kankakee

I dunno.
Reaction score
Haha, nah Oceana is a naval air base. Langley is the closest Air Force Base and we fly F-22 Raptors. :)

danbev07

Road Course Junkie
Reaction score
Oh, shit, forgot Dan Bev too. and bswor just finished his not too long ago too. damn, lots of 8s going in at one time. lol.

Yeah...

and I got my motor back in JUNE.

Just finished putting on the rear main seal and oil pan. This baby's pretty much SEALED!

Gotta get some stuff powdercoated/painted and then grab some AC lines and I'll be all set for my Thanksgiving weekend date :)

Keep us posted trill!!!

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
Me and 2 friends got a lot done in 4 hours of work. We got the v6 & tranny out at the same time, installed the v8, clutch/flywheel and trans. I almost forgot how heavy that 6spd it. Talk is cheap soo...

Awww isn't she so cute....
224af61ce993f11.jpg

after
You can't see her but the 6spd is riding the v8's behind. Big thanks to Randys06v6 and Eric who just graduated from college hahahaha.... for helping me get the engine + transmission in 2hrs. If we were given 12 strait hours I have no doubt I would have drove Tasha home.
224af61f912f28c.jpg

Here's some in between pics.
224af3cf62c74c4.jpg

224af61ce9426c3.jpg

224af61d0d3b34b.jpg

224af61d0d8a095.jpg

bswor

forum member
Reaction score
Glad to see it's in there and almost done, keep up the good work man.

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
.....Now I just gotta get my suspension setup so I can whip up on my dad's vette in the corners.:thumb2:...

I don't want to burst your bubble, but suspension mods will not enabled you to whip a C5 or C6 Corvette in the corners like on a road course. Good luck with the V8 swap and enjoy the new found power!

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
I don't want to burst your bubble, but suspension mods will not enabled you to whip a C5 or C6 Corvette in the corners like on a road course. Good luck with the V8 swap and enjoy the new found power!

Its not that I would be beat the c6 in the corners per say...Its that I will be whipping the drivers ass.:beer:

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
So I hit some pretty major snags today...Forgot a pilot bearing and the 05 harness isn't going to work with my 06 body harness.
224af787e9eece0.jpg

This is a pic of a wonderful addon that I didn't know about until today. Apparently the asshole that I bought it from decided not to tell me he had a supercharger on it. I'm just glad I noticed it before I turned the engine on which more than likely would have cause me to die of a heart attack.
224af787ea4171b.jpg

This is the one connector that is left and I figured it was the wrong one. As you can see its more of a rounded square shape.
224af787ea64589.jpg

This is the v6 connector that went to the fuse box harness/fitting and it it is more of a rectangle shape
224af787fac7ffc.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back