Power steering fluid leak... GRAGH!

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
So, of all the things that drive me crazy on my car, nothing drives me crazier than the POS power steering pump. Either the pump is on its way to a noisy death or the freaking pressure side line is leaking. This thing seriously pisses me off.

The nut is such a PITA to tighten with the pulley on, I normally wind up just taking it off. On top of that, the teflon o-ring sucks ass. This is the second one I've put on since I got the car running last week and I wake up this morning to a puddle on my driveway. I'm starting to think that maybe the leak is coming from where the tubing and nut meet. Of course, that would mean replacing the entire assembly, which is $75, IIRC...

Can a regular viton o-ring be substituted for that crappy teflon one??

LuckyFlyingROUSH

forum member
Reaction score
Can you pinpoint where the fluid is coming from? Mine took me forever to find and it was actually a cracked ps fluid reservoir. Lube up the Oring when you install it also.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Can you pinpoint where the fluid is coming from? Mine took me forever to find and it was actually a cracked ps fluid reservoir. Lube up the Oring when you install it also.
It's really hard to tell. Definitely from somewhere on the of the high pressure fitting into the pump itself.

I got back under there and looked again. The puddle I found yesterday was actually coolant. Since the PS pump had been leaking, I assumed that I hadn't fixed the leak (as the car hadn't been leaking coolant before).

Fortunately, the coolant seems to be a hose clamp that needed another turn or two.

Unfortunately, the high pressure side fitting on the PS pump is still wet. There's nowhere near as much coming out as before, but it looks like it might be spraying out a bit, as there's fluid on the oil pan (I have my pump mounted in the lower position, which is how it's mounted on the F250 engine cover).

I'm trying to remember if I cleaned the oil pan in addition to everything else. After replacing the o-ring this latest time (I always wet it first), I sprayed the pump and hose with brake cleaner and wiped it dry so I could see if it was leaking again. Tomorrow, I'll get everything.

eric_sfo

Reaction score
understand your pain...

Mine is leaking as well and there is no easy to get to it so I feel your pain. So is there a o-ring on the return line side becuase mine looks like it might be coming from the return line. Is the return line suppose to be able to rotate as well or is suppose to tight?

I'd be interested in whether a different o-ring will work.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
There's no "return line", per say. Only a supply line and a pressure line. The supply side (low-pressure) should be fine with nothing more than the factory clamp on it.

The pressure side is a different story. I still haven't figured out why mine keeps leaking. All I know is that when I install a new o-ring, it doesn't seem to go on right. In some cases, it even shreds. It's almost like it doesn't fit.

I've been tempted to get a PS pump from Ford, but they only have a 1 year warranty. Checker/Autozone/O-Reilly's have a lifetime warranty. With as often as these things fail, it's not worth buying from Ford.

I think what is best is to find a better teflon o-ring to stop the leak. I just don't know where to start.

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
Digging up an old thread here, but it felt more appropriate than making my own. I've had the same problems with noise (those not in the "know" ask me if it's supercharged); my wife says it sounds like my car's about to take off - lawl. I've also had a persistent leak at the pump since I bought the car 2.5 years ago, and it's persisted through a new high pressure line.

Admittedly, I am probably harder than most on the pump since I do 2-3 HPDEs a year, but am freaking tired of this thing leaking AND whining.

I had this made up yesterday using the rack end of the high-pressure line:
PSHose001_zps3b1488da.jpg

PSHose003_zps08ad9c88.jpg

I am heading out to the garage momentarily to confirm fitment, given it's a difficult area in which to take measurements.

-Andy

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Digging up an old thread here, but it felt more appropriate than making my own. I've had the same problems with noise (those not in the "know" ask me if it's supercharged); my wife says it sounds like my car's about to take off - lawl. I've also had a persistent leak at the pump since I bought the car 2.5 years ago, and it's persisted through a new high pressure line.

Admittedly, I am probably harder than most on the pump since I do 2-3 HPDEs a year, but am freaking tired of this thing leaking AND whining.

I had this made up yesterday using the rack end of the high-pressure line:

[pics]

I am heading out to the garage momentarily to confirm fitment, given it's a difficult area in which to take measurements.

-Andy
That is beautiful. You are going to sell those on the side, right?

Take my money!

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
That is beautiful. You are going to sell those on the side, right?

Take my money!
hahahaha; I guess I am now!

I had the line made by BMRS, purveyors of -AN p0rn and big supplier to NASCAR. I've used their lines on a number of occasions, usually buying used NASCAR lines and repurposing them. I prefer the Nomex outer because it won't abraid things like SS.

Check this lot on eBay for pictures of some of the ProGold products.

Last edited:

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
You don't understand.... I have money, you have a product, I hate the stock hose.

Need I say more? ;o)

Seriously, if you could make these, even in small numbers (lots of 5 or 10), people would buy them. That is assuming they work, of course.

Eagerly awaiting your results, haha.

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
You don't understand.... I have money, you have a product, I hate the stock hose.

Need I say more? ;o)
haha, nice

Seriously, if you could make these, even in small numbers (lots of 5 or 10), people would buy them. That is assuming they work, of course.

Eagerly awaiting your results, haha.
Beat ya to the punch with a PM.

I should have "street" results tonight, as I'm driving the car to a shop for a pre-event inspection. I'll have "track" results early next week; Monday is usually a recovery day from an overabundance of fun and a lack of sleep.

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
Update: Didn't make it to the track because of a family issue, and super bummed. BUT, the thing no longer seems to leak. No fluid on the high pressure hose, none at the pump, and most important, NONE on the garage floor.

Posted a feeler thread here to see if anyone else is interested.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back