Power Steering failure at low speeds

DARKHOR$E

Reaction score
I was hoping to get an opinion on what to start looking at to fix my power steering issues. For background, I went to a track event at VIR a few months ago and ran about 5 laps. I noticed about 3 laps in that my power steering was starting to whine. When I got off the track and into the parking lot, I had no power steering at all. My fluid level was less than the minimum. I let the car cool off and drove it home. I had since topped off the fluid with Mercon V, but the few times I've driven it since, I will still have a failure after the car has been driven a few miles. It will happen as I'm pulling into the driveway or a parking space at low speeds. There is a groaning and a rapid clicking noise. Just starting out with a cold car, everything seems to work fine. My immediate thought is that I have some air in the lines and that with a warmed up system, the issues appear. I can't see any leaks anywhere, and the fluid level has remained full. I don't want to unnecessarily change out a pump if I don't have do. Does it sound like I just need to purge the power steering system?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Bad pump seals. Dealing with the same thing on my bucket truck due to a blown line 6 months ago. Once it runs dry, the pump seals begin to fail. Except the PS pump for my bucket truck is $400 (Google Cardone 20-1207).

07 Boss

Reaction score
I think your pump is on the way out and needs to be replaced or rebuilt. Low speed failure is due to the pump not being able to produce enough pressure at the lower RPM's. When you're spinning it at speed there is sufficient pressure to manipulate the steering.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back