On3 Turbo Upgrade

dsmith658

forum member
Reaction score
After looking around for a while and talking to some forum members I decided to go with Comp for my turbo upgrade. I highly recommend talking to ProbeCR if you're in the same situation as he was very easy to deal with, offered a great deal, and got the turbo to me quick.

If a new tune is needed I will be using lito to get it dialed in. I also bought an Innovate LC-1 kit.

As the weekend goes on hopefully the rain will let up enough to let me get this done. For now here are some setup pictures...

Innovate LC-1
innovatewideband.jpg

Comp 6265 billet journal bearing turbo
compturbo2.jpg

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
Congrats man! Cant wait to see how the new turbo compares to the old one. I have that same wideband and like it, good pieces

dsmith658

forum member
Reaction score
Got the Comp installed and running today. Took about 4 hours of work.

CompInstalled.jpg

I also installed an Innovate LC-1 wideband to keep an eye on my A/F ratios. The car drives great, and the boost definitely is coming in earlier. I am afraid to get more than a few pounds of boost since I don't know if my tune is going to be ok or not.

At idle I am at around 14-15
While cruising I am around 15
At part throttle slightly in boost I am at around 14

I kind of expected to see a drop in A/F ratio while tipping into boost. If anybody with experience sees this can you chime in?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Def need a retune that comp billet turbo is more efficient and is moving more air everywhere so fuel trims will be off at part throttle and will be lean at wot. My car did the same thign when i first put the billet turbo on. When you rev the car a/f should go into the 11-12 range at idle as well as when you stab the throttle down to go wot.

dsmith658

forum member
Reaction score
I figured... The next several weeks will be sad idling around in it! The AFR does drop down to 11-12 when revving it...

Time to talk to Lito!

Def need a retune that comp billet turbo is more efficient and is moving more air everywhere so fuel trims will be off at part throttle and will be lean at wot. My car did the same thign when i first put the billet turbo on. When you rev the car a/f should go into the 11-12 range at idle as well as when you stab the throttle down to go wot.

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

dsmith658

forum member
Reaction score
what kind of hp gains are you excepting to get? these might be a dum question, but what size is that turbo?

The primary gain I am hoping for is less smoke out my tailpipe from leaking seals! It's a 62mm. I am also looking forward to quicker spooling which seems like it's going to be there.

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The primary gain I am hoping for is less smoke out my tailpipe from leaking seals! It's a 62mm. I am also looking forward to quicker spooling which seems like it's going to be there.

Ya, i have the same gears as you do, and I can tell you that half your problem. When I have 28" tall drag radials on, the turbo spools so much faster. I have a stock on3 btw.

dsmith658

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I know I have to kick these gears out for 3.55 or 3.31's. Just waiting for the right time to do it financially.

Ya, i have the same gears as you do, and I can tell you that half your problem. When I have 28" tall drag radials on, the turbo spools so much faster. I have a stock on3 btw.

Thekid760

forum member
Reaction score
If you dont mind me asking, How much did the turbo run you?

What are the specs on it? t3, t4? exhaust ar? ect.

Off topic, but I'm looking for a 62/65 around .85ish exhaust ar with a large v-band for my diesel.

dsmith658

forum member
Reaction score
Well it looks like time to put my celebration on hold. The turbo does not spin freely enough which apparently means it is defective. After spending $500 on a tune it's time to tear it all back apart. Comp said they would turn the turbo around the same day.

In short I had my dyno tune and lost significant power going to the billet turbo. The car was significantly slower. When I get things straightened out I'll post my results.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back