Advice on wastegate setup

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
upload_2023-8-26_13-4-43.jpeg
Been stuck on this part of my build for awhile…time to make a decision I guess! I’m needing to upgrade the wastegate, or so I’m being told, looking for options. I took the piping to a fab shop and this is what he said…”what needs to happen for proper wastegate operation is all the piping (yellow stripe) needs to be cut off and bigger piping installed for your bigger wastegate. I can do it all for $400!”…I don’t know if that’s true but it makes sense to me.

I’ll be running a 76mm bb On3 turbo on a forged motor as hard as I can to hit 650hp to the wheels. Currently I have the 38mm On3 wastegate and a TurboSmart 45mm wastegate (brand new).

I can….

1. Pay the $400 and get the fab work done?

2. Sell the v band TurboSmart wastegate & hopefully find a 2 bolt flanged wastegate that’ll work?

….hoping for more options.

Do you guys agree that the piping needs to be replaced with bigger piping?

DCarr

Reaction score
I'm not sure you have to go through all of that. I am currently running the 38mm wastegate that came with the kit and have had 0 issues. I am around 21 psi and 730 to the wheels. I use an 18# spring in the wastegate and use an Innovate boost gauge controller with a 3-port solenoid.

MrBhp

Reaction score
I personally would get the piping enlarged and use the turbo smart wg. That price isn't horrible if the welder is really good. He/you need to consider ground clearance for the wg pipe. It's already ridiculously low.

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
I'm not sure you have to go through all of that. I am currently running the 38mm wastegate that came with the kit and have had 0 issues. I am around 21 psi and 730 to the wheels. I use an 18# spring in the wastegate and use an Innovate boost gauge controller with a 3-port solenoid.
Man had I read your post I prob would’ve tried it. I thought about it real hard but figured it’d go south and I’d wish I had done it come tune day. I’d love to hear more about your setup, your numbers exceed my hopes for mine. I have the E2boost controller with a 3 port solenoid. I’m running MMR turbo cams, 1000cc injectors, BA 5000 MAM…..hoping to get 650 to wheels @16lbs…seeem reasonable? On3 76mm turbo, the guy at On3 told me he didn’t see me getting close to that bcz of the exhaust compressor on my turbo..to small.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back