Exhaust Help - LT Headers and X Pipe

TFish2607

Reaction score
I am in need of some assistance in figuring out the next step on some exhaust issues I have currently.

Over the last little bit, I have collected parts as I have found them. Most recently a X-pipe from BBK and some headers with an unknown brand to me.

With this all said, the headers and X Pipe do not match up at the flange / collector. I have attached some pictures to describe what I’m referring to the best I can.

At this point, I’m assuming they won’t match up and work together so I’m looking for the best options at this point on what to do next. I am open to all help, suggestions, etc, that I can get.

Thank you!

IMG_8064.jpeg

IMG_8063.jpeg

IMG_8062.jpeg

IMG_8061.jpeg

IMG_8058.jpeg

IMG_8057.jpeg

IMG_8056.jpeg

IMG_8059.jpeg

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
BBK does not fit anything but BBK. You could take mid pipe and headers to a custom exhaust shop and have them re-work the ball socket to fit the header as it looks like it was stretched out to begin with. Ebay headers?

TFish2607

Reaction score
BBK does not fit anything but BBK. You could take mid pipe and headers to a custom exhaust shop and have them re-work the ball socket to fit the header as it looks like it was stretched out to begin with. Ebay headers?
I’m not sure if they are eBay headers or not. I can only assume they are. Would it be wise to move to a different brand of header or will these work okay?

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They look polished, BBK and pypes are the only ones I know of that way. . Are they even for a 05-10 3v? They look similar to the 03-04 5.4 LTH. If they were cheap and you can make them work then have an exhaust shop reshape. Or by the BBK LTH

TFish2607

Reaction score
They look polished, BBK and pypes are the only ones I know of that way. . Are they even for a 05-10 3v? They look similar to the 03-04 5.4 LTH. If they were cheap and you can make them work then have an exhaust shop reshape. Or by the BBK LTH
I believe they are. Bought them from another person who said he got them for his 4.6, 2 Valve, and then realized they were actually for the 3 Valve car. They are super accurate to the looks of the BBK

JC SSP

Reaction score
If they were BBK or any reputable company (kooks, etc.) wouldn’t they be stamped with manufacture and part numbers?

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It would be tagged just like pictures I posted. My guess is ebay knock offs of BBK

TFish2607

Reaction score
If they were BBK or any reputable company (kooks, etc.) wouldn’t they be stamped with manufacture and part numbers?
Yes, all other major brands have some sort of tag spot welded or attached somewhere on their products.

It would be tagged just like pictures I posted. My guess is ebay knock offs of BBK

Yup.

I think at this point, I’m gonna reach out to a local custom exhaust shop and see what they can do or if they can even make this work. What are the odds a shop is able to salvage this?

JC SSP

Reaction score
I have seen reducers for those….

Best bet is reputable exhaust shop. The not knowing what headers is a big step into the unknown…

TFish2607

Reaction score
They will be able to make this work. Have them check the flange to be sure they are straight and flat. You don’t want any leaks
I have seen reducers for those….

Best bet is reputable exhaust shop. The not knowing what headers is a big step into the unknown…
Just spoke with a custom exhaust shop in my local area that comes recommended. They said it would be no problem to get it all fixed and to get the headers installed and bring the car to them with the X-pipe and they will get it fitted correctly.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Yeah, I had to look at the pics when I got my shorties to remember they came with a plate welded on...

I recommend you get better gaskets, the BBK or ebay ones will blow out in a couple of years.
I use Kooks aluminum header gaskets PY-8023A-AL been on there for many years!
IMG_8457.jpg

TFish2607

Reaction score
Yeah, I had to look at the pics when I got my shorties to remember they came with a plate welded on...

I recommend you get better gaskets, the BBK or ebay ones will blow out in a couple of years.
I use Kooks aluminum header gaskets PY-8023A-AL been on there for many years!
View attachment 92365
Thanks for the heads up on the gaskets! I’ll get some ordered today.

While I’m thinking about it, what hardware has everyone used to mount their headers? I see LMR is selling the stage 8 locking hardware. Anyone with experience using those?

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Stock hardware is fine, but I switched mine out to stage 8. Great stuff just a pita to install with motor in the car.

moooosestang

Reaction score
I bet you can get a reducer that will make the two fit together. probably the easiest and cheapest solution. It might blow out eventually though.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back