Installed resonators and put back my FRPP Stingers

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
All I can say is Wow. This is the sound i wanted, the sound i hoped for and the sound i dreamed about. No trumpets!!!!!! PERIOD!!!!!! I can rev throughout the entire rpm range again and not worry about that god awful sound. No more shifting before it or mashing the pedal through it. Smooth yet rough because of the cams, Refined, Deep, aggressive. Everything i wanted and i dont think they are too loud anymore. The resonators do a wonderful job. There is no drone while driving and with the windows up you can actually hear yourself think and converse with others. Wit hthe windows down atcruise they are there in the background but pretty tame and quiet. When you get on it look out cause they SCREAM!!!!! I dont think i will have a problem with the local authorities with some careful driving when they are around, ie rolling in neutral. The only drone i have is at idle haha and i think that might be one of the over axel pipes touching the dip in the trunk for the spare tire. ill check that tommorow

We Tig welded in the Dynomax 12" bullet resonators that i got from summit racing. I will do my best to get a video.

FalconGTHO

The Reporter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Eagar to see/hear the vid. I guess my aged ears or the tinnitus causes me to NOT be able to hear this said "drone". Or if I do, I guess I just dont care.

Last edited:

silverpoison

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice, I wonder if I can run them on a turbo car, maybe they will go bad for all the pressure.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
congrats Ron.... car is getting right were you want it!!! looking forward to the 17th!!

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
17th is the defieo track day correct?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I will take pics later but they are in the straight section of the over axle just after the H pipe. we staggered them slightly for fitment. even when the rear end is hanging down, they clear the driveshaft without an issue

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I have been debating adding these things for over a year now. Maybe I need to pull the trigger too.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Id say go for it don its well worth it
I might, but I have a few other little things on the "list" ahead of it. I still want to rework my icebox plumbing a little, and the damn MSD Launch Master is still sitting in my garage waiting to be installed.

tom281

Warp Rider
Reaction score
Yep, I added 18" Dynomax rezzies last year with my offroad H pipe and Borlas, and haven't looked back since. It is the perfect combo if you ask me, you described it perfectly. Yours is probably a tad louder than mine since you did 12". :beer: I have no drone anywhere including idle, so you're probably on the right path with checking the over-axle pipe.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Congrats ron. As I said in the other post - this is one of the things I did to my exhaust as well to tame it.:beer:

mAnYsTyLeS

forum member
Reaction score
Does someone have video of exhaust trumpeting?

Yes, I'd like to know what "trumpeting" and "raspy" means too - in regards to an exhaust system.

I had Kooks weld in two of their race mufflers (resonators) after the H-pipe for me because the MAC mufflers droned like H*LL! I'll upload a picture later...

I like the way my car sounds but I get a flapping (clack clack clack) type noise during some RPMs - I believe it's from the chambers in the mufflers but I don't know if that's considered raspiness or trumpeting. It sounds like metal on metal but it is not. Trust me - I've had a ton of people work on making my exhaust fit without obstruction. There's not one squeak and it never hits any part of my car.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yep, I added 18" Dynomax rezzies last year with my offroad H pipe and Borlas, and haven't looked back since. It is the perfect combo if you ask me, you described it perfectly. Yours is probably a tad louder than mine since you did 12". :beer: I have no drone anywhere including idle, so you're probably on the right path with checking the over-axle pipe.

I may be a tad bit more than louder lol With the heads and cams they help increase airflow even more which means louder. I may have gone wit hthe 18" but these fit perfectly and well i did buy em last year

Congrats ron. As I said in the other post - this is one of the things I did to my exhaust as well to tame it.:beer:

I was supposed to have these installed last winter. Cant believe waited this long.

Yes, I'd like to know what "trumpeting" and "raspy" means too - in regards to an exhaust system.

I had Kooks weld in two of their race mufflers (resonators) after the H-pipe for me because the MAC mufflers droned like H*LL! I'll upload a picture later...

I like the way my car sounds but I get a flapping (clack clack clack) type noise during some RPMs - I believe it's from the chambers in the mufflers but I don't know if that's considered raspiness or trumpeting. It sounds like metal on metal but it is not. Trust me - I've had a ton of people work on making my exhaust fit without obstruction. There's not one squeak and it never hits any part of my car.

from your explanation sounds like trumpeting. is it in the 2300-2600 rpm range?

Embalmer

Amateur Expert
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this is trumpeting. Listen at :12. Mine happens at half to full throttle from 2500-3000 RPM. The Pypes Mid muffler setup I have has "resonators" I think.

120307002.jpg

mAnYsTyLeS

forum member
Reaction score
Ron - Yes, it's around that range.

Embalmer - Yes! that's the sound I get. It doesn't bother me though - thanks!!

Here are my resonators installed by Kooks... (no drone)...

008mv1.jpg

006vp9.jpg

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
how long are they. might not be long enough to completely eliminate it

At 11-12 seconds you here it on my old setup. That was only worse with the new engine.

Also your entire Driveshaft is rusted, except a spot over the resonator. is it touching whe nthe car is on the ground perhaps? Youve got to get rid of that rusted PSO lol

Grabber07'

The flying cheeto
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thank God someone found a fix. I have a Pypes Off Road X pipe with Borla Stingers. The Trumpeting is unbarrable at times and embarrasing.

Should I go with 12'' or 18''? Also can someone post a link to the summit resonators? How much? Also Ron can you post pics of your setup? Where did you weld in specifically?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back