Crankcase Pressure. FREE HP!

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I free'd up about 80tq and some HP from taking my damn oil cap off. Whos selling the catch can stuff? I forgotted. I need that Saleen breather cap too

jsawyer

uh oh
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I free'd up about 80tq and some HP from taking my damn oil cap off. Whos selling the catch can stuff? I forgotted. I need that Saleen breather cap too

Does this alieviate the need for an oil seperator? Did you dyno it w/o the oil cap?

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
wtf??? someone speak dumb english tell me this is possible?

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
took the oil cap off and held a paper sheet thing over it. First pull on TQ was 579 with the oil cap on. Leaned the fuel up a bit then it went to 654tq with that sheet type thing. Then we got a real rag and did a pull and it went to 687TQ without touching the tune. HP went from 601 to 633 from first to last pull. Took the air filter off and did a pull, free'd 7HP (640) but lost a few TQ.

Crankcase pressure is a biatch. Make sure you are letting it out! It was insane how much air came out of the oil cap!!!

A/F was around 10.5 with 100% Methanol. 15lbs of boost

Last edited:

Ricky Bobby

Reaction score
I would have to say that is interesting info there....maybe why so many boosted 3Vs are breaking. Wonder if it helps a N/A car any?

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Think how much pressure is being put on the internals.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Did you do a PCV delete? If so, you may want to think about a crankcase evac pump, like the LT1 boys run. I could see how you would generate a BUNCH of pressure with a boosted motor and the stock "PCV" setup. If I were doing that sort of motor, I would run scavenger lines from the driver's valve cover over to a catch can, then plumb the output of the can through a vacuum pump, and hang a filtered breather on the passenger side valve cover. Plug the inlet air tube nipple and the intake manifold nipple as well, obviously.

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about doing a pump but if I route to the catch can then into the intake the turbo would be sucking that air in anyways giving me more air and possibly a little faster spool.

I'll put a breather on the oil cap

Yes, breathers would relieve pressure. Taking that oil cap off was insane. So much air was flying out of that sum bitch

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Was any oil flying out? My concern is the mess with a breather for the oil cap.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am interested to hear from anyone who is using a breather on the oil cap and did you see any gains and is there any mess?
:popcorneat:

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'll test it out. I already know I picked up gains from having the oil cap off.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not to stray too far off subject, but immediately after putting on my breathers, the passenger side was a bit of a mess within a week. Dealt with that for about a month until I pulled both breathers, cleaned and re-oiled. I think originally I oiled the passenger side too much, because now after a month, not one drop of oil has come out.

Just guessing it may be the same thing for the oil cap breather.

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
pictures of what?

I have the final chart and I think I have the previous runs. I will check to see if the shop has all of them and I can show you guys. Once I get the breather for the oil cap I'll do a test with the cap on and with the breather on. You'll be amazed!

lambo killer

turbo in da butt
Reaction score
So take the oil cap off when you are racing lol Does anyone have a link to that breather cap thingy? I am going outside to relieve some pressure.

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oil will spray everywhere without a cap or breather

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back