Detailing products for Sterling Grey?

riored4v

Just Brew It
Reaction score
Have a few days off next week so I would like to order up some stuff to detail my new car. I have some product laying around, but I have a feeling it might too old to use. The only thing I might have that is still good is possibly my Klasse glaze and my Poorboys Natty Blue wax. I have a Porter Cable I'll be using for the detail and I also have a new Mother clay bar kit.

Any suggestions on stuff to pick up? I also want to get stuff for the leather as well.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
There truly isn't a best product for colors, since all products are living on your clear coat.

There are products that show off a vehicles lines better than others depending on the color though.

Chemical Guys Lava uses a new color enhancing technology (basically a lot of fillers and oils, along with synthetic waxes for protection).

It really makes metallics pop, especially when applied over a few applications of CG Blacklight, then topped with CG V7. It's a good 1-2-3 combo once your surface has been perfected.

riored4v

Just Brew It
Reaction score
There truly isn't a best product for colors, since all products are living on your clear coat.

There are products that show off a vehicles lines better than others depending on the color though.

Chemical Guys Lava uses a new color enhancing technology (basically a lot of fillers and oils, along with synthetic waxes for protection).

It really makes metallics pop, especially when applied over a few applications of CG Blacklight, then topped with CG V7. It's a good 1-2-3 combo once your surface has been perfected.

Sounds kind of what I'm looking for. Really wanting the metallic in it to pop. Might be tough for me drop $70 on just the wax though

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds kind of what I'm looking for. Really wanting the metallic in it to pop. Might be tough for me drop $70 on just the wax though

OTC wax products you find in stores vs. Boutique products are definitely in two different categories.

Typically with boutique products you get much better performance than what you find in the store.

You think $70 was tough, try buying some of the Zymols or Swissvax waxes :D

riored4v

Just Brew It
Reaction score
OTC wax products you find in stores vs. Boutique products are definitely in two different categories.

Typically with boutique products you get much better performance than what you find in the store.

You think $70 was tough, try buying some of the Zymols or Swissvax waxes :D

Havent bought OTC in a long while, but i also haven't spent $70 on just wax lol. I have alot of Wolfgang, Poorboys, Klasse, Pinnacle type stuff. Maybe I'll just suck it up lol

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Havent bought OTC in a long while, but i also haven't spent $70 on just wax lol. I have alot of Wolfgang, Poorboys, Klasse, Pinnacle type stuff. Maybe I'll just suck it up lol

Those are all decent products. The craze with Lava right now is, it is a new type of product. It's a synthetic wax, with some glaze filling properties that has great looks and durability.

I use it a lot on my wife's car.

riored4v

Just Brew It
Reaction score
Those are all decent products. The craze with Lava right now is, it is a new type of product. It's a synthetic wax, with some glaze filling properties that has great looks and durability.

I use it a lot on my wife's car.

Durability will be extremely important to me with the weather and sometimes chemicals used on the roads.

Since the car is new, I planning on going with a wash, clay, wash, polish, wax and seal. I'm sure the Klasse sealant or Poorboys EX-P i have will probably still be good, but I don't trust the polish as its easily 2+ years old. What would be a good polish to go with that Lava?

Might grab some of the Blacklight and V7 detailer also.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Durability will be extremely important to me with the weather and sometimes chemicals used on the roads.

Since the car is new, I planning on going with a wash, clay, wash, polish, wax and seal. I'm sure the Klasse sealant or Poorboys EX-P i have will probably still be good, but I don't trust the polish as its easily 2+ years old. What would be a good polish to go with that Lava?

Might grab some of the Blacklight and V7 detailer also.

The term polish is not always used consistently. Polish to me is an abrasive that removes light swirling. Hand polishing does nothing but wastes time. So unless you have a machine and proper foam pads, just use a glaze to fill in the swirls.

But there is a stick in this forum that has various polishes listed. Obviously the Chemical Guys V lineup (V34,36,38) are apart of the same line that Black Light, Lava and V07 are all apart of. But that is not to say Meguiars #105/205/D300 or Menzerna SIP/Super Finish/PO85rd etc will not work.

CG Black Light is a Glaze/Sealant Hybrid, it lacks abrasives but does contain fillers and a synthetic sealant all in one.

riored4v

Just Brew It
Reaction score
The term polish is not always used consistently. Polish to me is an abrasive that removes light swirling. Hand polishing does nothing but wastes time. So unless you have a machine and proper foam pads, just use a glaze to fill in the swirls.

But there is a stick in this forum that has various polishes listed. Obviously the Chemical Guys V lineup (V34,36,38) are apart of the same line that Black Light, Lava and V07 are all apart of. But that is not to say Meguiars #105/205/D300 or Menzerna SIP/Super Finish/PO85rd etc will not work.

CG Black Light is a Glaze/Sealant Hybrid, it lacks abrasives but does contain fillers and a synthetic sealant all in one.

Yea, I have a Porter Cable that I bought awhile back that I'll be using. Just want to prep the paint as much as possible before waxing and sealing.

With the Black Light being a Hybrid sealant, should I just stick with my Klasse or EX-P product?

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Yea, I have a Porter Cable that I bought awhile back that I'll be using. Just want to prep the paint as much as possible before waxing and sealing.

With the Black Light being a Hybrid sealant, should I just stick with my Klasse or EX-P product?

It comes down to personal prefence, BL is a newer product. I've personally never been a fan of klasse.

Fact is, once you finish down your surface to be swirl free with your DA. BL+Lava+V7 seems to be a great "budget" combo.

riored4v

Just Brew It
Reaction score
It comes down to personal prefence, BL is a newer product. I've personally never been a fan of klasse.

Fact is, once you finish down your surface to be swirl free with your DA. BL+Lava+V7 seems to be a great "budget" combo.

Might just end up going that route then. As long as it stays sealed and protected (i.e. durability) then I might make that purchase. Thinking of going with those products and just use some Poorboys SSR1 that I have to clean up the paint before.

Aside from that, I'll probably need some new pads, some Sonax wheel cleaner and some sort of leather product (possibly lexol).

riored4v

Just Brew It
Reaction score
Thanks Seer for helping my spend my money. Noticed autopia was having a free shipping over $100 sale, along with me coming across a 15% discount code made the purchase easier.

Ordered Chemical Guys Lava, Blacklight, V7 and some Sonax wheel cleaner, Lexol kit and Stoner glass cleaner. Excited to try out these new products next week.

Just so I have the CG process correctly... I'll be washing, claying, polish with Poorboys SSR1 then 2 coats of Blacklight, V7 and then top it all off with Lava. Sound about right?

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks Seer for helping my spend my money. Noticed autopia was having a free shipping over $100 sale, along with me coming across a 15% discount code made the purchase easier.

Ordered Chemical Guys Lava, Blacklight, V7 and some Sonax wheel cleaner, Lexol kit and Stoner glass cleaner. Excited to try out these new products next week.

Just so I have the CG process correctly... I'll be washing, claying, polish with Poorboys SSR1 then 2 coats of Blacklight, V7 and then top it all off with Lava. Sound about right?

V7 and Lava can switch back and forth.

AOnorato

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Sonax alone makes doing your car fun. I love using it.

Chemical guys have some awesome products. Just tried out their Leather Scent spray last month...2 sprays, one in the headliner and one under the drivers seat and it STILL smells great. Honestly the closest thing to a true new car scent I've ever had.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score

Would you apply all of these by hand or would you use a DA polisher?

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Would you apply all of these by hand or would you use a DA polisher?

Black Light you should apply by DA or hand with just a regular blue or gray pad.

Lava should be done by hand, but you can actually scoop a little bit out and apply by DA, I'd recommend a red pad.

V7 is by hand, it is a spray.

Last edited:

riored4v

Just Brew It
Reaction score
V7 and Lava can switch back and forth.

You saying that it should be doing the V7 before the Lava, or that it really doesnt matter which way to apply those?

Also, from what it sounded like V7 can be used anytime on it's own correct?

Sorry, newbie to this product so I want to make sure I'm using it correctly.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
You saying that it should be doing the V7 before the Lava, or that it really doesnt matter which way to apply those?

Also, from what it sounded like V7 can be used anytime on it's own correct?

Sorry, newbie to this product so I want to make sure I'm using it correctly.

Ya, don't over think this. V7 is a spray sealant, it can go on top of anything. It can go over Black Light, it can go over Lava etc.

Think of V7 as more of a quick detailer that offers actual protection and not just shine.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back