Newbie with a Nightmare Scenario

ConvergencePro

Reaction score
Hey guys,
New guy here, and I know this is probably a bit of bad etiquette as intros go.
I own a 2014 GT in sterling grey that has been my baby and daily driver for the last 7 years. I was working on it today during a winter cleanup and I accidently snapped the fitting on the fuel line, Part# Ford BR3Z-9J280-B that connects above the spark plugs on the drivers side. I was being dumb and there was zero forgiveness with the plastic fitting in the cold. Pisses fuel everywhere when starting up now. As annoying as it was to break it just as I was finishing up, I figured this would be a fairly simple parts find and I'd be back on the road in a few days
To my abject horror it seems that this part has not only been discontinued by Ford, but it is also seemingly nowhere to be found anywhere online that I look, and Ford service has no answers in regards to any possible solutions beyond "seek a junk yard for one", which is proving equally daunting so far.
Does anyone know of a place where I can find this part, or have a spare they would be willing to sell? Or if there is an newer part that fits and would work. It's insane to me that a car that is barely 10 years old is seemingly now permanently grounded over a stupid plastic part. Am I stuck getting rid of my baby?
Really hope some of you guys can help. Even if I could just find the stupid black fitting that would be excellent as the line itself is fine. :(

IMG_4424.jpeg

Last edited:

DieHarder

Reaction score
Hey guys,
New guy here, and I know this is probably a bit of bad etiquette as intros go.
I own a 2014 GT in sterling grey that has been my baby and daily driver for the last 7 years. I was working on it today during a winter cleanup and I accidently snapped the fitting on the fuel line, Part# Ford BR3Z-9J280-B . I was being dumb and there was zero forgiveness with the plastic fitting in the cold. Pisses fuel everywhere when starting up now. As annoying as it was to break it just as I was finishing up, I figured this would be a fairly simple parts find and I'd be back on the road in a few days
To my abject horror it seems that this part has not only been discontinued by Ford, but it is also seemingly nowhere to be found anywhere online that I look, and Ford service has no answers in regards to any possible solutions beyond "seek a junk yard for one", which is proving equally daunting so far.
Does anyone know of a place where I can find this part, or have a spare they would be willing to sell? Or if there is an newer part that fits and would work. It's insane to me that a car that is barely 10 years old is seemingly now permanently grounded over a stupid plastic part. Am I stuck getting rid of my baby?
Really hope some of you guys can help :(

You mean this? https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-pipe-fuel_bl3z-9j280-b.html

ConvergencePro

Reaction score
Im not sure thats the same part. I suspect that might be another part in the chain. I’ve attached a photo of the cracked fitting above

Might this be a suitable substitute for the fitting in the photo above?

Samos3

Reaction score
Im not sure thats the same part. I suspect that might be another part in the chain. I’ve attached a photo of the cracked fitting above

Might this be a suitable substitute for the fitting in the photo above?
Looks like that black fitting is part of that fuel line assembly. The tube is either aluminum or a thermoplastic formed to the fitting. Break the fitting, replace the whole line. The Dorman replacement probably will not go into the line. I think it is used if you replace the line with actual rubber fuel line....I think.

ConvergencePro

Reaction score
So luck was actually on my side and the 3/8 to 3/8” Dorman Connector from Autozone worked perfectly! As said above the fuel line is thermoplastic, so a heat gun was required to get the line onto the Dorman part.
This pony’s back up and running beautifully :)

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Just checked for you. It is a discontinued part. Locator around the country shows zero. Only other option would be to get it repaired which can be done. Need to find the right person to do it though.

RedCar

Reaction score
So luck was actually on my side and the 3/8 to 3/8” Dorman Connector from Autozone worked perfectly! As said above the fuel line is thermoplastic, so a heat gun was required to get the line onto the Dorman part.
This pony’s back up and running beautifully :)
Just in case this ever happens to me...are you saying you just heat up the plastic line, push the new Dorman fitting into it, and it's sealed?

Reaction score
I just sourced one of these for my coyote swap. It was difficult to find but I ended up buying one from a guy who was parting out a Mustang. I can’t believe that this part is already discontinued.

ConvergencePro

Reaction score
Just in case this ever happens to me...are you saying you just heat up the plastic line, push the new Dorman fitting into it, and it's sealed?
Yup. It also helped to have the Dorman fitting already attached to the engine for added leverage as well. Seems to be upwards of 2-3 inches "extra" of gray fuel line available to do this with, but its still pretty awful that the OEM part is already as rare as hens teeth after barely 10 years later.. How many other parts are we going to be seeing this happen with? In theory one could make their own custom one fairly easily by sourcing the same fuel line piping were we able to find it, heat bend to proper shape while reusing the metal OEM end and adding the dorman 3/8 connector, and you're good 2 go

GlassTop09

Reaction score
How many other parts are we going to be seeing this happen with
1st off, glad that part got you out of a bind. 2nd part, glad you figured out how to install these types of connectors into this thermoplastic fuel line......I usually use heated water to heat this type of line up as the heat application, though somewhat slower, is more uniform. As it cools off this type of fuel line is designed to contract onto any properly fitted barbed connector & reseal itself.......but I might install a pex crimp clamp for insurance if I did this (mostly used for plastic water piping nowadays that replaced the old black poly stuff.........too late to do this now.....need to slide this clamp on line prior inserting the connector fitting) but if it ain't broke now, don't fix it.

As for these S197's, get ready to go thru a lot more of this. I have a couple of buddies that work at the local Ford dealership in my neck of the woods that gave me the skinny on how Ford operates w\ replacement parts on any Ford platform that has exceeded its warranty periods (both power train, chassis & emissions) then reaches the 10th year of platform retirement.......at which time Ford will start to liquidate all of the replacement parts in their warehouses, starting w\ the parts that aren't high movers but will end up liquidating the vast majority of them in short order then the rest as time goes on so they don't have to be stuck w\ high inventory storage costs that can be better served storing the replacement parts for the current platforms still under some warranty obligations & inventory space for the new platforms coming out.

The 2014 MY S197 hit the 10 yr mark last fall thus this is the beginning of Ford liquidating surplus inventory for it

I have a '09 GT Glass Roof & I know what you're going thru............my recommendation is, if you plan on keeping your Stang indefinitely, to start making inventory of your Stang noting what\which OEM parts you may need to replace in the near future then check to see if they are still available then if they are, purchase while the getting is still good then store them yourself until the time comes when you need them.........

It's what I do now...........have several new OEM parts in my storage acquired early so that I have them in hand if I need them.

This ain't gonna get any better so it's your choice of how you go about it..............

Wolf302

Reaction score
doesn’t make sense for them to discontinue such a critical part but it’s good know there’s a relatively inexpensive fix available

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back