AFCO dual fan heat exchanger install problems

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Last week I got my Afco dual fan heat exchanger from Lethal. Today I began the install and have been working on it for a couple hours. I've installed it exactly as described in the instructions and it fits great except now my bumper cover/grill won't fit over it. It's about 2" too far forward and if there were a way to move it back then it would be shoved into the AC heat exchanger. I'm at a loss right now.

IMG_2157.jpg

IMG_2160.jpg

IMG_2158.jpg

Untitled.jpg

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I'm not the smartest pony in the barn but isn't it mounted upside down???

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think it's upside down also. It should be about level with the top of the bumper brace not sitting way up like that.

Earl

StangPower05

"Pony Up"
Reaction score
Like everyone above said, you've got it mounted upside down dude. Its supposed to be seen through the lower grill on the bumper. Flip it around and you'll be golden.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I must be an idiot. But in my defense, the pictures in the instructions are horrible and the text only says to put it in the same place as the stock heat exchanger. So can I blame the guy who installed my original heat exchanger?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Cool. I got it in but now I'm stuck on the hose routing. Inlet and outlet are nowhere near the original and the crap hose supplied with the cooler bends so easily that I'm not willing to use it on the inlet side of the pump. Still trying to figure out my routing so I can go hunt down and purchase appropriate hoses.

Damn knuckles keep bleeding all over everything making it difficult to see what I'm doing. :damnit:

2012yote

forum member
Reaction score
Cool. I got it in but now I'm stuck on the hose routing. Inlet and outlet are nowhere near the original and the crap hose supplied with the cooler bends so easily that I'm not willing to use it on the inlet side of the pump. Still trying to figure out my routing so I can go hunt down and purchase appropriate hoses.

Damn knuckles keep bleeding all over everything making it difficult to see what I'm doing. :damnit:

The kit comes with everything you need to install, you don't have to purchase hoses. If i remember correctly the inlet connection faces the opposite direction of the stock one. Should have the new hoses for the top, the bottom reuses the old one. Was a little confusing when me and a buddy installed one on his gt500.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
That is one good looking HE. What blower are you running skewrl? Get some gloves on too, dont want two members in ER today. Home Depot sells some really nice nitrile ones for $1.97 I wear them everyday for work and when I work on the car. Super thin and tight and that coating sticks to whatever you grab. No bloody knuckles.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Earl, the video helped a bunch. Not only was the original heat exchanger installed wrong, but the pump was installed facing the wrong way and the hoses were routed wrong. Once I watched the video I was able to turn the pump around and run the hoses in the appropriate order. All wrapped up and going for a test drive. :snoopy

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Well this sucks. The fans are noisy as shit and my IATs are still at 140+ after a short 3 mile drive without even really getting on it. I'm not seeing any improvement whatsoever. :(
What a waste of $700. :tdown:

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would double check and make sure you have the fluid flowing the correct direction within the system. Not saying that you could have it wrong (ahem... ) just sayin'.
If you have the flow in the wrong direction, or have the hoses in the wrong configuration, you won't see any improvement.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I installed the hoses as shown in the video Earl posted. Pump inlet draws from the reservoir and pumps into the top of the heat exchanger. Lower heat exchanger outlet goes to the intercooler, then back to the reservoir.

Jared@Lethal

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Well this sucks. The fans are noisy as shit and my IATs are still at 140+ after a short 3 mile drive without even really getting on it. I'm not seeing any improvement whatsoever. :(
The good news is that I got the heat exchanger installed today. After a few false starts I finally got everything hooked up correctly. The bad news is that after a 3 mile test drive without exceeding 50 mph my IATs were over 140. I could do better than that with the stock heat exchanger and no noisy ass fans. :tdown:
(the pump is not airlocked, I already took care of that)

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83388

I posted this response in the other thread as well just to make sure you didn't miss it.

Glad you were able to get the unit installed properly. I saw that you had a little confusion on it early on. Thanks to the fine members of the forum for helping out though.

As to those temperatures that definitely doesn't sound right. Are you seeing 140deg while cruising or at a stop after cruising with the engine still idling?

Why I ask is because you are typically supposed to see no more than a 30 deg difference between ambient and IAT2. That being said the results your getting are based on your air temps being at 110deg. That's pretty high unless you live in an extremely hot environment.

My personal experience is that you have something else going on that's causing your air temps to get that high. Aftermarket heat exchanger or not I would trouble shoot the car to figure out why IAT1 is that high to begin with unless the air temps where you live are actually over 110deg. Then it would make sense.

Hope that helps.

Jared

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I'm in Orlando, about 90-92 here. Car has 26K miles, blower has been on for 10K miles. I went for a short run and it was in the mid 130s as I turned on to my street. Hit 141 as I turned in my driveway.

Last edited:

Jared@Lethal

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I'm in Orlando, about 90-92 here. Car has 26K miles, blower has been on for 10K miles. I went for a short run and it was in the mid 130s as I turned on to my street. Hit 141 as I turned in my driveway.

Is it getting that high during a constant cruise or after you've stopped at a light and then proceed with your drive. It's normal for the temps to rise at a stop. However after you start moving again or during constant cruising I would be concerned with those temps. My 03 cobra which runs a dual fanned heat exchanger typically sees less than 30degs over ambient. However when I stop at a light for a few minutes even with fans it will climb up to the 135-140 range during summer months and I'm in WPB. The rate it climbs though is much slower than without the fans but it still climbs until I'm cruising again and the temps drop back to normal cruising levels.

Jared

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I just went out again and the temps never dropped below 130 including 2 miles of interstate driving cruising at a steady 65 in overdrive. I am running a little M90 with a VMP 2.49" pulley so it's spinning its little heart out but these temps are as high or slightly higher than using the old heat exchanger (pulled from a 2010 Roush 427R). The other heat exchanger was only a single core but it was much larger, with 15"x20" of heat exchange area.

2012yote

forum member
Reaction score

Lol they are very noisy.

Does it steadily rise when you are idling? The reason I'm asking is because you could have gotten some air in there during the install.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back