Looking for Feedback on Trunk-Mounted Ice Boxes

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
To all who have installed an intercooler reservoir/ice box in the trunk, I'm looking for your feedback. I'm mainly interested in the twin screw setups.

1. What is the capacity of your tank (in gals of water and lbs of ice)?

2. How many passes do you get at the track before the ice melts?

3. How do you have your hoses run (e.g., from tank-to-heat echanger-to-manifold, or from tank-to-manifold-to-heat exchanger)?

4. Where did you physically mount the I/C pump? And at what point in the hose routing loop is it located?

5. What brand or custom made tank did you get?

6. Finally, feel free to post any pics you might have.

TIA...

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
1. What is the capacity of your tank (in gals of water and lbs of ice)? The entire system holds approximately 8.5 gallons, the tank itself hold about 6 gallons

2. How many passes do you get at the track before the ice melts? I usually put in 2 bags of ice (8lbs per bag) and I hotlap 3 back to back to back runs, then let the car cool down. the fluid is still pretty damn cold

3. How do you have your hoses run (e.g., from tank-to-heat echanger-to-manifold, or from tank-to-manifold-to-heat exchanger)?I had it run from the tank to the manifold, then to the HE and back to the tank but my Street IAT's were way too high. in the 130-140 range while just cruising. It did make sure the ice was the coldest as it went to the Manifold first and i saw temps in the low 80s for IAT's. I rerouted it back to the traditional way and now see 100-114 cruising around on the street. I see 85-90 degrees when i add ice for IAT's. So it will add 5-10 degrees to the IAT temp the traditional way but keeps temps much cooler for street driving

4. Where did you physically mount the I/C pump? And at what point in the hose routing loop is it located? My pump is mounted right nextto the tank. I may be moving it under the car to ensure better flow but i dont think it will make a big difference. Mine is located right at the side of the tank pulling the fluid from the bottom hole in the tank

5. What brand or custom made tank did you get? Alumiworx in FL. Nice big tank and they have beautiful welds and dont charge a whole lot at all. I think my tank was $120 or $150

http://www.alumiworx.com/cart/index.php

DSCN0511.jpg

IMG_2605.jpg

IMG_2604.jpg

IMG_2603.jpg

Best part is that the trunk mat fits right over it with no interference so when its back in all you see is the nitrous bottle

don_w

Reaction score
Thanks Ron.

2. How many passes do you get at the track before the ice melts? I usually put in 2 bags of ice (8lbs per bag) and I hotlap 3 back to back to back runs, then let the car cool down. the fluid is still pretty damn cold
This surprises me a little. I would think with a 6-gal capacity, you could get a lot more ice in there (like 45-50lbs). Mine is maybe a 2-gal tank, and I can also pack about 15-17lbs of ice in it. But I never try to get more than one run out of it. I don't hotlap my car anymore, and I cool it down between every run. After it's cool, I drain the tank and re-pack the ice.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I will post on this when I get home---I have alot of thoughts and pictures

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
To all who have installed an intercooler reservoir/ice box in the trunk, I'm looking for your feedback. I'm mainly interested in the twin screw setups.

1. What is the capacity of your tank (in gals of water and lbs of ice)?

2. How many passes do you get at the track before the ice melts?

3. How do you have your hoses run (e.g., from tank-to-heat echanger-to-manifold, or from tank-to-manifold-to-heat exchanger)?

4. Where did you physically mount the I/C pump? And at what point in the hose routing loop is it located?

5. What brand or custom made tank did you get?

TIA...

1. 7 gallons. Not sure how much ice
2. 2 passes
3. Hoses run from tank to manifold to H/E, then back to tank. When driving to work I have not noticed any difference in IATs.
4. Below the tank. The pump needs to be set up to PUSH water up to the manifold. By being below the tank, I am ensuring the pump will always have water to push. When I first hooked this up, I had trouble with air in the system. But after releasing the pressure a couple times after driving, there is no longer any air in the system. Just to make sure, however, I turn the key over without starting the car, to hear the water flow back into the tank, then start the car. I have since checked several times, and have not encountered the pressurized air in the system like the first couple days.
5. ST---version 2
6. See below with comments:

IMG_1636.jpg

Notice the drain handle I mounted upside down, so I can open and close it properly. Also, the drain hose you can run out an existing hole in the trunk covered by a large groumet. Same can be done with the incoming hose from the H/E. There is a large existing groumet on each side towards the front of the trunk, by the back seat.

IMG_1637.jpg

The pump itself. So far I just used the same bracket that was used to mount the pump up front in the whipple kit. I plan on making my own bracket so I can raise it up a couple inches but still be below the tank. Notice the wiring for the pump, if you route it to the rear, you can come in the trunk using another existing groumet.

The hoses I ran using the frame rail, and keeping the hoses as far away as possible from any exhaust piping. I had the line that goes to the manifold from the tank-come in from the big hole that is below where the stock battery sits. The line from the H/E I ran below and met up with the incoming line at the frame rail, then ran them both together to the rear of the car.

IMG_1634.jpg

The tank itself, 7 gallons

IMG_1633.jpg

Close up of the drain, mounted upside down so you can open/close it properly.

don_w

Reaction score
Thanks Paul.

Do you have an educated guess on how much ice you stuff in there to make 2 passes?

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
4 buckets? Shit I never really paid attention, I just drained it about 3/4 of the way then filled it with ice. I never drained it anymore then that because I don't want to introduce air into the system.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Paul, I got to get a close up look at Ken's at PSCA and it is identical to yours I think. One thing I noticed is I have about the same size valve for draining water but I have mine under the car coming down from the resevoir.

I noticed on Ken's set-up, it took him forever to drain water from the system where mine drains like a firehose and could drop 16 gallons of water within 1 minute. I have the pump mounted to the right of the fuel cell a few feet away and I agree with Paul that you HAVE TO MAKE SURE THE PUMP IS PUSHING AND NOT PULLING - Very important...:idea:

Mine will hold about 60 lbs of ice max but I don't max it out with ice or water. I can do do two back to back 1/4 mile passes on one load and still be ice cold but the ice is gone. I'm sure I could do 3 safely if I chose to cause the water is still damn cold.

Don, trust me on this bro - just wait another 2 weeks before you do anything. Ken knows about this system I am getting fabbed right now and you will be able to run a 2-3 gallon resevoir, and make your IAT's 98º AT WILL WITHIN 2 MINUTES.

Seriously, it's bad ass and it's only going to cost about $500. Just wait a couple weeks before you do anything and you'll thank me - I know it...:beer:

don_w

Reaction score
4 buckets? Shit I never really paid attention, I just drained it about 3/4 of the way then filled it with ice. I never drained it anymore then that because I don't want to introduce air into the system.
Guess we'll have to do a little experiment at Barona. We'll use the same bucket to fill yours and mine, and see how much each one can hold.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ron.

This surprises me a little. I would think with a 6-gal capacity, you could get a lot more ice in there (like 45-50lbs). Mine is maybe a 2-gal tank, and I can also pack about 15-17lbs of ice in it. But I never try to get more than one run out of it. I don't hotlap my car anymore, and I cool it down between every run. After it's cool, I drain the tank and re-pack the ice.

don i never tried to put more than 2 bags. i can only take so much with me to the track so i have to ration it as best i can

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Paul, I got to get a close up look at Ken's at PSCA and it is identical to yours I think. One thing I noticed is I have about the same size valve for draining water but I have mine under the car coming down from the resevoir.

Don, trust me on this bro - just wait another 2 weeks before you do anything. Ken knows about this system I am getting fabbed right now and you will be able to run a 2-3 gallon resevoir, and make your IAT's 98º AT WILL WITHIN 2 MINUTES.

Yeah, it should be the sam as Ken's--I think I just installed it a little differently. My drain works pretty good, it takes just a couple minutes tops to drain to where I want.

That new set up sounds interesting.

When I read that - all I could think is "DONT TASE ME BRO!!! DONT TASE ME BRO!!

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
don i never tried to put more than 2 bags. i can only take so much with me to the track so i have to ration it as best i can

No doubt. Otherwise you would have to have like 4 huge coolers with 300lbs of ice to last the day.

Injected S197

forum member
Reaction score
Seriously, it's bad ass and it's only going to cost about $500. Just wait a couple weeks before you do anything and you'll thank me - I know it...:beer:

Greg told me he got you in touch with his guy about that. I am slowly putting a turbo kit together and we are going to use that set up for a air to water intercooler :beer:

Steve is doing a mag article on his car at Gregs showing the data on the set up.

don_w

Reaction score
No doubt. Otherwise you would have to have like 4 huge coolers with 300lbs of ice to last the day.
That's where I was going with this. I want to know if the ice lasts longer in the larger trunk tank, than it does in mine. I don't mind taking the ice at all... in fact, I took 160lbs to Qualcomm on Friday night, and used about 90 to 100 lbs of it (6 runs). Let's say I use 15lbs per run. If the trunk tank would hold 45 lbs, and I got three runs out of it, it would be worth the swap to me... just to shift the weight from the front to the back.

don_w

Reaction score
I don't plan on doing anything in the next few weeks, so I'm looking forward to seeing what it is.

p.s. Does it involve dilithium crystals?

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If the trunk tank would hold 45 lbs, and I got three runs out of it, it would be worth the swap to me... just to shift the weight from the front to the back.

That right there is the only reason why I did it---the battery is in the trunk to. If this thing has to weigh 3600 lbs then I am putting as much of it in the back as I can.

MSgt46270

Reaction score
Hey Don, you can look at mine any time. If you want to drain it and see how much ice or water it takes to fill it. Just let me know.

DSC03596.jpg

DSC03597.jpg

DSC03598.jpg

DSC03600.jpg

Last edited:

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yep - see Ed's is just like Ken's too in that the drain is out the front of the resevoir. Mine comes out the bottom of the resevoir under the car and the weight of the water and pressure shoots the water out. I never even open the valve all the way or it would drain too fast. Using the same valve but mounting it UNDER the resevoir is better IMO from how I seen ken's work at the track.

As far as the set-up I am having fabbed - here is some more info...

Typical 'killer chiller' systems utilize a coil that is about 2-3" x 2-3". Our cars (ST Motorsports style intake systems) have the whole right side open (where the CAI would be) and I am having fabbed a custom coil that is about 12"x12" and running a 2 freon system and bypassing the interior of the car.

I saw a cobra with standard 2-3" coil system stand on the car and get the IAT's up to about 120º and then we put the AC on and drove 2 blocks, turned around, and drove back 2 blocks, and the IAT was 98º and the resevior was ice cold. This was with the little coil systems that are out now. On my big coil kit, it's going to be ridiculously cold ridiculously fast. Should be ice temperature within a minute I'm figuring. I'm very excited about it and should have it on within a couple weeks. The guys making it are trying to have it finished by the track rental at fontana on the 13th.

My system even has a little 'catch can' so I can run it while in the lanes and shut down the ac when I'm getting ready to do my burnout. If it works like I think it will, I will never need ice again...:clap:

don_w

Reaction score
I'm really not interested in a freon-based system. It seems counterproductive to me. I take the time to cool off the engine between runs, then I'd have to let it run to chill the IC water. So, I'd be putting heat back in the engine. I'd rather stick with the ice, and keep the engine cool.

However, I can see how a freon-based system could be beneficial on the street, but my main focus isn't ice cold street IATs. I do my racing at the track, and a cool engine and ice water is the best combo for me. So I'm going to stick with the trunk tank option. All I need to do now is decide how I want to route the hoses. Clearly tank-to-manifold-to-HE would be the best for the track, but Ron makes a good point for street use.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back