02 sensor codes common link?

Joey Hunsinger

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction with an issue with my 2005 GT. The best I can describe the issue is an engine "stutter" that happens in the low RPM range and only under load. No issues with idle, or RPMs above 2,800 or so. It only happens when the engine is lugged down a bit and it's definitely getting worse over time.

I've long suspected I had a wire shorting somewhere because it seems to happen more often when I am turning. I can also make it worse by loading up the electrical system (lights, power windows, radio). I've been checking for loose grounds and cleaning them with wire brushes but getting nowhere. Yesterday I finally bought a cheap code reader and was surprised to find the only codes were O2 sensor related. I've looked up the codes and they are as follows:

P0053 HO2S Heater Resistance (Bank 1, Sensor 1)
P0054 HO2S Heater Resistance (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
P0059 HO2S Heater Resistance (Bank 2, Sensor 1)
P0060 HO2S Heater Resistance (Bank 2, Sensor 2)

Now, I'm no mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but I find it hard to believe that 4 different sensors are all bad? I was thinking maybe there is a common link between all of the sensors?

My code reader lets me clear the codes. When I did that the problem went away entirely for an hour or so and then came back along with the check engine light. Does that make it more likely to be a computer issue?

Lastly, the car has also had a problem with the AC compressor intermittently turning off from time to time. I don't know if those could be related but I figured I'd mention it just in case.

Thanks in advance.

Edqe

Reaction score
I had same issue. It’s probably your alternator. Test at start up and after a bit of driving with all accessories on. Results should be between 13.8-14.1v+. Anything lower replace alternator.

Edqe

Reaction score
Mine started at 14.2v then after it warmed up it started to drop near 13v. The high speed fan sounded weak and O2 sensors started popping up. I was most likely losing spark on demand why it triggered O2 codes.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
On my 2010 auto, with eng on..... at idle or at speed, it's a constant 14.75 vdc measured at the battery terminals.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back