05-09 Auto trans reliability

brewer15650

Reaction score
Looking at buying an auto and was wondering how they hold up with bolt on's and possibly a 125 shot down the road.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When I ran the 125 shot a few years ago, the first thing to go was the stock converter. It would lock/unlock on the big end. I never had any issues with the trans itself until I was in the 570rwhp range.

Kraftsman

forum member
Reaction score
Looking at buying an auto and was wondering how they hold up with bolt on's and possibly a 125 shot down the road.

You can get a 5r55s to last maybe a year or two depending on your driving style. Even a built one from tci (not sure about level10) will only last about a year or two.
I'm almost done rebuilding my third 5r55s in 3 years. Two of them were super streetfighters. I wish I woulda went with a c4 or 4r70w right away.

sent from my Droid Incredible.

08gt4u

forum member
Reaction score
mines lasted a little over two years with a 100 shot, bolt ons and 0 problems.i tore up 2 sets of gears in the diff but the tranny never gave me a problem.it was a DD plus a weekend track car,in the two years i missed only 2 weekends of racing do to rain,and i mean racing friday and saturday.the first pass on the bottle was at 1k miles and the tranny shifted perfect untill i totaled the car at 40800 miles.i believe is all in who tuned the car and how much power you are making.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Everything I have read leads to the tune. You need to have a proper tune. Call up JDM, talk to Jim Jr. they really know that trans.

06TORCHEDGT

forum member
Reaction score
mine is an 06 auto with sct bama tunes with 41000 miles on it, shifts perfectly and strong with no problems.

Kraftsman

forum member
Reaction score
Everything I have read leads to the tune. You need to have a proper tune. Call up JDM, talk to Jim Jr. they really know that trans.

x2

But anyone will tell you these transmissions are junk. Eventually you will break it. Just depends on who tunes it to determine how long it will last.

Last edited:

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
Hell I broke one just driving like miss daisy. Im on my second 5R55S, luckily Ford paid for it hahah. Mine developed a wicked whine and they could not diagnose the probelm so they shit canned it and put a new trans in it

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
Been driving my 07 GT for over 3 years making 500 HP daily with zero problems with the trans. It's made quite a few passes, been in a lot of street events :D, and currently has over 32K miles with the blower on it, 45K total.

They are solid transmissions for sure.

Kraftsman

forum member
Reaction score
Been driving my 07 GT for over 3 years making 500 HP daily with zero problems with the trans. It's made quite a few passes, been in a lot of street events :D, and currently has over 32K miles with the blower on it, 45K total.

They are solid transmissions for sure.

Not sure if you're driving a mustang or not. I don't think solid and 5r55s can be used in the same sentence.

The trans is junk, pitch it if you have the $. If you don't believe me, Google 5r55s problems and read for a couple days, cause that's about how much lit there is.

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am talking about a mustang. I have owned 2 3V Mustangs and 2 4V Mustangs.

I've made about 20 track passes with this trans with the blower at 500+ crank HP, about a few dozen street pulls at least, and it is daily driven all year round, 5-7 days a week.

Some people have problems if they abuse the living shit out of them. A good tune, maintenance on the trans and it will be fine.

I've already seen a handful of guys running 9's on the stock 5r55s transmission making 650+ RWHP and have already made dozens of passes.

The tune makes a difference, not to mention the extent of the power your car makes and how well you take care of it.

To each their own.

TungstenGT06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mine has 51K on it. It has 44K with the supercharger and 100 track passes. My tune was from JDM. I don't street beat the crap out of it and it's held up good. With that being said, on my new build I'm putting in a another 5R55 built by ATF.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Mine has 51K on it. It has 44K with the supercharger and 100 track passes. My tune was from JDM. I don't street beat the crap out of it and it's held up good. With that being said, on my new build I'm putting in a another 5R55 built by ATF.

Thats what I like to hear. I have about 70 passes only a dozen or so with the blower. Dont beat on it on the street. Change the fluid every year, hopefully she will last. NA tune was brenspeed, blower tune is JDM.

G.T

Reaction score
the stock converter and input shaft are the main mechanical weak points
a very close second is the bosch solenoid pack, it's prone to failure on higher mileage transmissions and the part was revised in 2009 for the same reason

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back