07 to 14 Coyote swap

Turbodad

Reaction score
New to Mustangs (at least S197's) and am looking to do a swap with a crashed '14 GT.
I'm an experienced auto tech and no newbie to engine/drivetrain/body swaps.
My car is an '07 plain jane 4.0l auto that I bought cheap with no engine or trans. The plan is to get a lightly smacked '14 GT premium from an insurance auction and swap EVERYTHING. When I say everything I know there will be some things that both cars do not share but from what I've read it seems that most everything will fit into my chassis.
I plan on swapping the entire 8.8, the suspension bits, the '14 K-member with electric steering, the Column, the dash (complete). all the wiring harnesses and computers, pedal assembly and as much of the interior as will bolt in and of course the Coyote with six-speed and everything that goes with it.
Where I expect to have trouble is possibly the fact that the '07 probably does not have curtain airbags and I don't want to install them, I'm uncertain if the 8.8 is a direct swap with the puny stock V6 rear end and if door harnesses will simply plug in or not.
The idea is to make a '14 with the skin of an '07.
You guys are the experts, what hurdles should I expect? Or am I headed down a rabbit hole?

Turbodad

Reaction score
Thanks for the link 2008_ScarlettGT, I read the whole thing and it helps to know not only what I might encounter, but he pretty much found solutions for all of it! I already was expecting problems with the fuel tank and door harnesses, but I didn't figure on the tail lights or the A/C. Now I gotta watch all his videos!

mattjames

Reaction score
If you’re not dead set on having EVERYTHING swapped over but want the 5.0 drivetrain in your 07 and have the AC, cruise and stock gages work, check out our plug and play coyote swap harness. Www.make-it-modular.com

GriffX

Reaction score
And "while you're in there" take a look at the noise insulation thread, nobody needs tire or wind noise. Long distance drives are so much more pleasant without.

Turbodad

Reaction score
About half way through with this swap, and I've encountered a few unexpected issues. most I've been able to figure out, but I'm stuck on how to wire the headlights. The '14 had HID's and the '07 has Halogen. Lot's of posts found for converting halogen to HID, but not the other way around. I don't want to let the smoke out of the SJB. I'm considering using the low and high beam signals from the HID connector and connecting them to relays then to Headlights so the load is small. The only diagrams I'm finding are for an '11, so I hope they are the same.
Any ideas???

AHaze

Reaction score
HIDs were available on the later pre facelift S197s ('09 for sure and I think '08 as well) the housings are pricey but installing those is an option if you want to avoid non-OEM looking wiring modifications.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back